Suvarnabhumi Named Fifth Best Airport

webfact

You can't really blame the airport for a bunch of idiots taking it over. And that was 2008, but this survey is for 2010.

My experiences have been overwhelmingly negative. I do probably travel more than the average person but that does not excuse any of the bad things that have happened to me at Suvarnabhumi. They simply wouldn't happen anywhere else.

I could probably forgive a little if the people responsible for that takeover debacle were dealt with in a reasonable manner, but that hasn't happened either. So it leaves me angry and out of pocket for the alternative arrangements I had to make during that period.

And I am still waiting on even a response from my numerous emails and letters to AOT and the Customs, Excise and Thai Police regarding the shakedowns of arriving passengers by these gangs of men posing as Police in the arrivals hall and outside on the main concourse, of which I was subject to, and as far as I am aware are still continuing to date.

Don't forget 2010 also saw armed men take over the car parks opposite the terminal building and nothing was done. That is simply unacceptable for an international airport.

If we gloss over these issues and pretend it's all normal at Suvarnabhumi these unacceptable things will just continue to happen.

But eventually, the law of averages says you're going to be on the receiving end of something negative at Suvarnabhumi and it's not going to be petty like a lack of a bum gun in the toilet.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the other airports that typically rate as having more than 40 million passengers. Please let us know what horrible experiences you find at BKK that you don't find at the others.

Happy to answer from personal experience.

I haven't been stuck in Cambodia for several days away from my business and family because a militant political group shut down any of those other airports. Nor have I had to return to those airports while they were being controlled by an armed paramilitary group to retrieve my car from the car park under threatening and unacceptable circumstances.

I haven't been approached by unlicensed taxi drivers at any of the others.

I haven't been a victim of an attempted scam by men in uniform posing as Police trying to extort money from me for excess Duty Free which I did not have at any of the others.

Indeed, I haven't been treated as badly at any other airport, regardless of size or modernity.

The shut down of the airport was a number of years ago and has nothing to do with the way the airport is run. (This report covered 2010 -- not 2008)

Theft and scams are at every airport and like at other airports of this size they reach a point when something is finally done to address these problems as has been done at BKK.

I have been to many of the airports on this list and you obviously haven't been to any of the ones in the US if you want to talk about being treated badly by staff.

Do a search for just about any airport I listed above and you will find scams happen at them all as for unlicensed taxis ... get a grip they are in every country and airport.

I too can talk about incidents at all the other airports of mentally challenged passengers getting tasered by police, mafia running luggage theft rings, flight attendants having a break down swearing at passengers before opening emergency exists, passengers being refused boarding for spending too much time in a lounge, airlines putting children flying alone on wrong flights, children getting kidnapped or molested and so on and so fourth but the point I was trying to make is you really may want to look inward in terms of your need to complain about everything Thai but remaining here.

Bottom line is BKK is easy to get in and out of. Flights are usually on time. Taxis are easy to catch and the airport takes accountability of taxi safety. There are numerous ways to get to BKK airport as well as getting transportation to your final destination (buses, train, taxi, limo, rental cars...). Luggage always seem to come off the plane quicker than any airport of its size I have been to. The airport is laid out in a very nice fashion with numerous shops and eateries. It has smoking rooms. It is clean. The staff are always courteous and helpful, it is new and modern, you don't need to take a tram to get to any place within the airport, things are organized in terms of handling the passengers, i never see people getting singled out randomly for "advanced screening" and over all the security process is not intrusive ... just to to name a few things.

The immigration lines are sometimes long when numerous international flight arrive/depart at similar times but if you look it is rarely ever because they have built a lack of immigration check point stands but the fact that immigration is not staffed properly (not sure the airport has much say in that) but where are immigrations lines short at a hugely popular international tourist final destination? .I have read about scams at BKK such as involving some or one of the shops at the airports accusing people of shoplifting but these reports also seem to be a think of the past.

Edited by Nisa

You can't really blame the airport for a bunch of idiots taking it over. And that was 2008, but this survey is for 2010.

My experiences have been overwhelmingly negative. I do probably travel more than the average person but that does not excuse any of the bad things that have happened to me at Suvarnabhumi. They simply wouldn't happen anywhere else.

I could probably forgive a little if the people responsible for that takeover debacle were dealt with in a reasonable manner, but that hasn't happened either. So it leaves me angry and out of pocket for the alternative arrangements I had to make during that period.

And I am still waiting on even a response from my numerous emails and letters to AOT and the Customs, Excise and Thai Police regarding the shakedowns of arriving passengers by these gangs of men posing as Police in the arrivals hall and outside on the main concourse, of which I was subject to, and as far as I am aware are still continuing to date.

Don't forget 2010 also saw armed men take over the car parks opposite the terminal building and nothing was done. That is simply unacceptable for an international airport.

If we gloss over these issues and pretend it's all normal at Suvarnabhumi these unacceptable things will just continue to happen.

But eventually, the law of averages says you're going to be on the receiving end of something negative at Suvarnabhumi and it's not going to be petty like a lack of a bum gun in the toilet.

So being inconvenienced* in 2008 by something that was out of the airports hands, and some external happenings that probably didn't affect you, is colouring your experience with the airport? How often have you been inconvenienced by various strikes at other airports? Have you ever been "caught" shop lifting at Suv, or are you just using the fact that you read about it all the time because you live in Thailand (or spend a lot of time here) to affect your views.

* I'm not trying to belittle your inconvenience. Just pointing out the time frame.

Every post I have seen by you has been negative towards Thailand and/or its people as a whole or specific groups or things within Thailand but you continue to remain here instead of going back to your home country or even another country. I am just perplexed by this.

The inevitable "if you don't like it go home" retort.

:coffee1:

Actually it is actually what I posted. Every post I read by you on this forum is complaining about things Thai. Given this fact how much credibility should one put into your views of a Thai airport given that a survey was just conducted that there is really no reason to question in terms of bias. As I said, I am just perplexed you are still here given so many of your negative posts about Thailand and things Thai.

My experiences have been overwhelmingly negative.

I can only say that if you think negative then you usually get negative

The shut down of the airport was a number of years ago and has nothing to do with the way the airport is run. (This report covered 2010 -- not 2008)

Theft and scams are at every airport and like at other airports of this size they reach a point when something is finally done to address these problems as has been done at BKK.

I have been to many of the airports on this list and you obviously haven't been to any of the ones in the US if you want to talk about being treated badly by staff.

<snip>

It seems you are trying just too hard to trivialise my bad experiences at Suvarnabhumi in order to justify your own opinion of the place.

Pray tell just what is being done about the scams? Nothing as far as I was aware, when I was there earlier this month it was business as usual for the touts.

And those "numerous shops" you refer to are there illegally but nothing will be done about that now because King Power are now friends of the current government and all those pesky corruption and encroachment charges seem to have disappeared. :whistling: How convenient.

Do a search for just about any airport I listed above and you will find scams happen at them all as for unlicensed taxis

Perhaps, but importantly, they haven't happened to me at any other airport, nor do they occur on as regular basis as they do at Suvarnabhumi.

the point I was trying to make is you really may want to look inward in terms of your need to complain about everything Thai but remaining here.

You seem to be incapable of reasonable discourse and are intent on making personal comments so I will not engage with you further.

Edited by Oberkommando

Actually it is actually what I posted. Every post I read by you on this forum is complaining about things Thai. Given this fact how much credibility should one put into your views of a Thai airport given that a survey was just conducted that there is really no reason to question in terms of bias. As I said, I am just perplexed you are still here given so many of your negative posts about Thailand and things Thai.

That is just nonsense because you don't like my opinion of the airport.

You obviously don't know that I am partners in my own forum (it's only a week old, bless) about Thailand to promote and encourage discussion, tourism and expat life in Thailand.

So that blows you're stupid theories all to Hell doesn't it?

:lol:

You seem to be incapable of reasonable discourse and are intent on making personal comments so I will not engage with you further.

but all your comments claim to be of personal experiences crazy.gif

I have outlined my negative personal experiences when you prompted me for them earlier on this thread.

You really are struggling here.

Further, with every additional post you make, it appears more and more apparent you cannot tolerate opinions that contradict your own, thus exposing you as somewhat unreasonable.

Edited by Oberkommando

That is just nonsense because you don't like my opinion of the airport.

You obviously don't know that I am partners in my own forum (it's only a week old, bless) about Thailand to promote and encourage discussion, tourism and expat life in Thailand.

So that blows you're stupid theories all to Hell doesn't it?

You've lost me. What theory (conspiracy?) are you talking about? And yes, I made clear I thought your views expressed here about the airport are biased because everything I read you in other threads is negative towards Thailand and/or its people and things.

You've lost me. What theory (conspiracy?) are you talking about? And yes, I made clear I thought your views expressed here about the airport are biased because everything I read you in other threads is negative towards Thailand and/or its people and things.

And I have told you I run a web forum that has been designed to promote Thailand.

It's like banging your head on a brick wall with this one.

And I have told you I run a web forum that has been designed to promote Thailand.

It's like banging your head on a brick wall with this one.

I don't want to get off topic too much but wonder why would you do this when glancing at some of your posts here on ThaiVisa JUST TODAY you have spoke very negatively about the the BKK Airport, Thai Corruption, Thai Police, Thai Culture, Thai Government, Thai Crime and Thai Society as a whole? I am just confused why you would want to "promote" such a place if these are your honest feelings.

To be clear I am not meaning to come off as attacking you but just trying to point out your negativity in a way that I hope you will see as constructive. I have to assume you are not as negative as you come off about Thailand because you are still here. And there really is truth in the fact that negative thoughts produce negative results and occurrences in life. This is actually something Thais have taught me well.

Edited by Nisa

I don't want to get off topic to much but wonder why would you do this when glancing at some of your posts here on ThaiVisa JUST TODAY you have spoke very negatively about the the BKK Airport, Thai Police, Thai Government, Thai Crime and Thai Society as a whole? I am just confused why you would want to "promote" such a place if these are your honest feelings.

Oh you do want to get off topic. And you most certainly are trying to discredit me personally because you cannot tolerate my opinion of the airport.

My other posts on here today have not been negative, merely stating facts.

Oh you do want to get off topic. And you most certainly are trying to discredit me personally because you cannot tolerate my opinion of the airport.

In your heat or heats do you really think I care what you think about the airport?

It may have started off as an online debate about the airport but I then I was simply trying to understand you a little better and then finally offer you some advice that I thought might help you to be a bit more happy but clearly it was a mistake to do that and I apologize if I offended you.

In your heat or heats do you really think I care what you think about the airport?

It may have started off as an online debate about the airport but I then I was simply trying to understand you a little better and then finally offer you some advice that I thought might help you to be a bit more happy but clearly it was a mistake to do that and I apologize if I offended you.

Can I come in, I've had the same problem-Ober.. you stated fact about the airport, Nisa dosn't listen to your experiences, fact or not, I've agreed of late with some things nisa has said. You think that speaking the truth about airport or anything, is not valid in This country, because its anti-Thai. I would call it constructive criticism and if you don't care what he thinks about the airport sums you up. Listen to him if he's been touted he has. If he's been scammed he has, I dont think he is a Thai critic, just open minded. Do you think that most posters come on to tell porky pies, in your eyes yes. I've looked with interest at most of your posts and limited posters agree with your thoughts.

Can I come in, I've had the same problem-Ober.. you stated fact about the airport, Nisa dosn't listen to your experiences, fact or not, I've agreed of late with some things nisa has said. You think that speaking the truth about airport or anything, is not valid in This country, because its anti-Thai. I would call it constructive criticism and if you don't care what he thinks about the airport sums you up. Listen to him if he's been touted he has. If he's been scammed he has, I dont think he is a Thai critic, just open minded. Do you think that most posters come on to tell porky pies, in your eyes yes. I've looked with interest at most of your posts and limited posters agree with your thoughts.

Except that he's not saying that he's been scammed. He had a bad experience in 2008 because of the protests, not because of the airport, and that there have been other issues reported. He doesn't say he has been caught up in any of those issues (except for touts hassling him).

According to him, he has travelled a lot, so would have come across touts in many of the other countries he's visited. Being in Thailand most of the time, he is more aware of the issues here, but if he wasn't in Thailand he probably wouldn't have even known about the car park issue.

Except that he's not saying that he's been scammed. He had a bad experience in 2008 because of the protests, not because of the airport, and that there have been other issues reported. He doesn't say he has been caught up in any of those issues (except for touts hassling him).

According to him, he has travelled a lot, so would have come across touts in many of the other countries he's visited. Being in Thailand most of the time, he is more aware of the issues here, but if he wasn't in Thailand he probably wouldn't have even known about the car park issue.

The bottom line is we have a study done that says the airport rates about in the middle of other large airports. And if you have traveled through many of the other airports (or any large airport) without a block on your shoulder about the country then I truly believe you cannot argue too much about this rating for 2010. However, I would question the implied implication in the OP that this is something to be proud of unless they want to make an advertising slogan based on not being rated as one of the worst.

I've also yet to travel through any airport and have it been something I enjoyed or looked forward to. The process of going through an airport is not a fun thing but more about limiting how inconvenient it is. So, if you like to complain or prefer seeing negative over positive they are a perfect place to go in any country.

As for my personal experience I ALWAYS prefer dealing with service personal in Asia as opposed to the US. My last trip back I landed in JFK and stood in line at a coffee shop after being "randomly" singled out for additional screening of my bags (1 hour later) l istened as the cashier scolded and swore at a foreigner for causing a line because they didn't speak English and were having a hard time communicating their order. Welcome home was my first thought.

Edited by Nisa

No your wrong, the poster has stated many of the bad experiences, encountered an Swampy. He knows about them, and like me he is not knocking Thai as Nisa said, telling him to go home if he doesn't like it here-get real. If we dont speak openly about the improvements that can be made-how can Swampy improve. By saying its o.k. and not as bad as some other airports is negative. We would all love BKK airport to be top of the list. Please don't push constructive criticism asside. and above, because we air our views dosn't mean we hate the place. That airport has to get real if it wants to hold a good reputation. My Thai government friends agree that the money grabbing attitude at the airport wants stopping. Get off your rears AOT and the bib. GO FOR IT.

No your wrong, the poster has stated many of the bad experiences, encountered an Swampy. He knows about them, and like me he is not knocking Thai as Nisa said, telling him to go home if he doesn't like it here-get real.

If you are going to be blatantly dishonest about my postings why should anybody take you seriously?

Talking about Thai Society, Thai Culture, Thai Police, Thai Politics, Thai Corruption, Thai Crimes, BKK Airport and so on in a negative light as this poster has done TODAY on this and other threads is expressing negativeness towards Thai regardless if you want to debate about it being true or not.

As for telling him to go home .. you are just blatantly being untruthful.

Edit: as for 'many" I think he recounted 3 or 4 and I believe 2 of them were back in 2008 during the Yellow take over but my numbers could be off a little I didn't go back and look. And I think one of the others had to do with illegal taxi drivers that you find in most all big/tourist destination airports.

Edited by Nisa

Let's see. So we hear of 3 hour queues at outbound immigration & planes leave while folks with boarding passes are left here (no explanation of what happens to their checked bags) & this POS gets top 5?

UTTERLY AMAZING!!!!!!

But that's why we come here - TO BE AMAZED.

methinks money changed hands to get 5th best.

Another great observation. Some forget that this forum is about expressing all views. Some of us really love living in Thailand, and really appreciate the people, for all of their seemingly odd ways of looking at life. Is that not part of what makes this place so charming?

I love living in Thailand, does that mean I am not allowed to rightly criticise this disgrace of an airport? Or are you saying anyone that criticises the airport doesn't love Thailand?

"Odd ways." What nonsense. Just another apology for corruption, poor service, criminality, racism and lazyness. Mai bpen rai is why Thailand will never advance beyond what it is now. Thailand's mentality is very much rooted in the Third World.

It can't be all that bad from a passenger view considering it is claimed in this survey to be doing better than most airports of its size.

I take any survey with a large pinch of salt.

I prefer to gauge based on my personal experience and the experiences of other more qualified travellers such as frequent travellers and expats.

It's no coincidence there are so many negative responses when the subject of Suvarnabhumi Airport comes up.

It's indicative.

I would love to argue with you Oberkommando if you weren't so bloody right.

I also love Thailand and Thai people. I also like to vent my despair on TV sometimes.

Let's see. So we hear of 3 hour queues at outbound immigration & planes leave while folks with boarding passes are left here (no explanation of what happens to their checked bags) & this POS gets top 5?

UTTERLY AMAZING!!!!!!

But that's why we come here - TO BE AMAZED.

methinks money changed hands to get 5th best.

You don't thinks alone.

It's only a bloody airport for god's sake. A very badly organised one (no decent seating - far to far to schlep between boarding points, LOUSY LOUSY LOUSY amenities, food provision, once through the gates truly bloody awful - just one bloody restaurant charging sky high prices (cynical bastards), not ONE little (food outlet INSIDE). Shitty 'customer', no wait, please, LOL! 'service' - bunch of bloody Nazis where the only place a Thai has control over us Whities, along with Police/Immigration/Orborjor et al offices, being given carte blanche to smile (although usually not)to make our various necessary transits Hell.

This, I must say, does not apply to most of the local airports.

Bhumi is AWFUL and try to avoid like the bloody plague. So there.

No your wrong, the poster has stated many of the bad experiences, encountered an Swampy. He knows about them, and like me he is not knocking Thai as Nisa said, telling him to go home if he doesn't like it here-get real.

If you are going to be blatantly dishonest about my postings why should anybody take you seriously?

Talking about Thai Society, Thai Culture, Thai Police, Thai Politics, Thai Corruption, Thai Crimes, BKK Airport and so on in a negative light as this poster has done TODAY on this and other threads is expressing negativeness towards Thai regardless if you want to debate about it being true or not.

Edit: as for 'many" I think he recounted 3 or 4 and I believe 2 of them were back in 2008 during the Yellow take over but my numbers could be off a little I didn't go back and look. And I think one of the others had to do with illegal taxi drivers that you find in most all big/tourist destination airports.

Nisa ...I dont tell lies nisa..........#116 last paragragh. you said ---you were telling him to go home....True or not... now am I being untruthful. Why do you keep repeating yourself when a valid point is made against Thai anything. doesn't mean they hate Thailand----but you will not let people air their view if its against your warped stance. you are expecting most to take your view as correct. period . You won't listen, only what you want to hear. I repeat constructive criticism is healthy. We all can learn from it. Being in denial is not healthy,

Edited by ginjag

One thing for sure is that "Suvarnabhumi" is the worst named airport in all the world.

the v is a w, the r is silent as are the h and i. I am amazed that Bangkok international didn't become the common tag.

Many posters already know where the airport name came from. My name for the airport would have been RAMA 9 airport Bkk. and I think most Thais would agree with that............. because of spelling and pronunciation. most people dont say the name. just Bkk.

I dream of the time when I dont have to go to the airport to collect friends and family. But I have to go to guide and protect them out. If not the first time tourist will be swallowed up by the hasslers and scammers/rip offs. I,m not knocking the airport I,m knocking the slime thats allowed to operate and rob Thailand of future tourists.

Edited by ginjag

One thing for sure is that "Suvarnabhumi" is the worst named airport in all the world.

the 'v' is a 'w', the 'r' is silent as are the 'h' and 'i'. I am amazed that Bangkok international didn't become the common tag.

I don't think anybody is going to argue with this.

Nisa ...I dont tell lies nisa..........#116 last paragragh. you said ---you were telling him to go home....True or not... now am I being untruthful.

You are being either incredibly ignorant or not telling the truth and if you cannot see this there really is no sense in going on about this. Try to at least man up in this one instance to say you made a mistake instead of trying to perpetuate ignorance or dishonesty.

What I said was: "Every post I have seen by you has been negative towards Thailand and/or its people as a whole or specific groups or things within Thailand but you continue to remain here instead of going back to your home country or even another country. I am just perplexed by this."

This is not telling somebody to go home it clearly is telling somebody that I don't understand why they remain here and I explained myself in other posts to make it clear I was not suggesting he leave.

So, yes you are being dishonest ... and also have come to see you are another one that seems to use ThaiVisa as a place to push your negative comments about Thailand and I personally have yet to see one positive thing you posted as it pertains to Thailand. So, again I am a bit perplexed as to why somebody would remain here (if you are are) given the comments I regularly read from you about Thailand and its people.

Edited by Nisa