True 3G - Happy So Far!

greatjob

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the purposes of this discussion there really is only one "3G".

It sounds like you may have a bad modem (firmware, hardware; you'd be amazed how finicky these can be), maybe a computer driver issue? software app. issue? overlapping coverage? a coverage "hole" (quite common)?, interference? Maybe best to try the configuration in a known good location, like Central Rama 2, to eliminate any equipment issue? Then you can investigate location issues. These are best solved by talking with people in the area, IME.

What is exact brand and model number of your modem? Are you 100% certain it supports 850 Mhz 3G?

Sending "w" to 9789 gets you a WiFi password.

If you have a TrueOnline (DSL) 9 MB/1MB package you can get this 399 package for 300, current promotion. There are others. http://www2.truecorp.co.th/th/ir_getfile.aspx?id=5

Edited by lomatopo

For the purposes of this discussion there really is only one "3G".

It sounds like you may have a bad modem (firmware, hardware; you'd be amazed how finicky these can be), maybe a computer driver issue? software app. issue? overlapping coverage? a coverage "hole" (quite common)?, interference? Maybe best to try the configuration in a known good location, like Central Rama 2, to eliminate any equipment issue? Then you can investigate location issues. These are best solved by talking with people in the area, IME.

I was thinking on similar terms of going to known good areas. Problem is, the signal appears strong on WCDMA, strong to medium for HS next time I am in bangkok, I will. I did not take the laptop with me to Rama II. But I am at a massage shop near 50 meters from Robinson in Wong Wien Yai (before I called Mo Mien Yai). There's @TrueMove wifi spot, working great. I'm still having the issue with modem switching from 3g to edge, despite apparently good 3g signal.

Using macbook Core2Duo, turn Wifi (airport) off, 3gb ram, OSX 10.6.6. I have not rebooted mac in a while. I will "start fresh" and see what happens. the other laptop is not with me (Acer with windows 7). The connection software is direct from the modem. There could be an update. Maybe using the dtac modem from my friend before is conflicting. Yes, several things indeed. I'm more inclined to give the hardware the benefit of the doubt, if the signal is strong. I will definetly also make use of the extension cable. Was able to pick up a decent length one at Rama II computer shop for 80 baht.

What is exact brand and model number of your modem? Are you 100% certain it supports 850 Mhz 3G?

TrueMove 3G Huawei E1803, bought from a TrueLife store (I think, looked like a company-owned store, everyone wearing TrueMove collared shirts, had an exclusive truemove wifi lounge, etc). 99.9999% sure ;)

thanks. This tip worked directly from the SMS capability in the connection software. I hope I was not charged.

Ok, I think I know how to properly "force 3g only"

1) for the mac TrueMove connection software loaded and the USB modem connected, you go to Tools > Options > Network.

2) Select "Network Type" Tab

3a) Have the "WCDMA only" selected for network type

3b) Select "WCDMA 850" for band. "All Bands" default setting seemed to somehow allow the brief EDGE connections to remain EDGE for extended periods.

post-109486-0-79128800-1303819454_thumb.

4a) Select Regestration tab

4b) make sure "Auto Search and Register" is selected.

post-109486-0-68003000-1303819940_thumb.

It did go out to Edge briefly 3 times as i typed this (as if it lost the 3g signal), and then it immediately reconnected to a 3g connection again. That's much more like it :D. Before, it would switch to edge and stay there :(.

I will also play with manual registration on the registration tab, but that really should not be necessary, unless I am having serious problems. I did not yet do the reboot of computer and the 3g connection is holding much more steady. I have not seen the TrueMove windows connection software, but options should be similar to mac screenshots.

Hope this helps someone.

I have the True 3G B599 prepaid package which includes free unlimited WiFi usage, and they registered the MAC number of my iPhone4 so that I don't need to use username/password to access True WiFi.

Out of curiosity (curious to see if I can get a username/password to also use my notebook computer for free on True WiFi), I just sent the "w" SMS to True. I got the following SMS with username/password, but my Thai is not great -- is it saying I will be charged B1/minute to use the WiFi with the username/password?

post-33251-0-43315500-1303830405_thumb.j

It says you will pay 1 baht/min, or 1 satang per KB if you do not have a plan. Not sure what this means for you exactly. If I interpret some other comments in this thread correctly then you should be able to use one single WiFi device and one single 2G/3G device simultaneously. So you could use your notebook via WiFi and your iPhone via 3G, but not both simultaneously on WiFi. You could contact True to confirm, or even experiment; try your notebook for 10 min. checking balance (dialpad: #123# dial or send) before and after.

For 4evermaat, you should have great 3G coverage from True in Wong Wien Yai, and you shouldn't have to choose "WDCDMA Only" but if that's the only way you can get it to work then you have to do it. Obviously a decent modem (radio firmware) should be able to handle dual RAT but yours wouldn't be the first that had this problem. And with an air-card it is less of an issue as you are likely stationary; with a mobile it is desirable to automatically switch between 3G and 2G as you move around.

Thanks for the translation. I'm going to be busy the next few days, but when things slow down, I'll go to the local True office here in Hua Hin and see if I can figure out what options I really have.

I have the True 3G B599 prepaid package which includes free unlimited WiFi usage, and they registered the MAC number of my iPhone4 so that I don't need to use username/password to access True WiFi.

Out of curiosity (curious to see if I can get a username/password to also use my notebook computer for free on True WiFi), I just sent the "w" SMS to True. I got the following SMS with username/password, but my Thai is not great -- is it saying I will be charged B1/minute to use the WiFi with the username/password?

Hi,

You could also use the "Personal Hotspot" option in your Iphone 4 and share your 3G connection with your laptop wherever you have 3G.

I am currently waiting for my landline to be installed (forced to be with TOT) and it's been 3 weeks already. But thanks to the Personal Hotspot on Iphone 4 I still have "wifi" shared to 2 laptops in my home.

GJ

For 4evermaat, you should have great 3G coverage from True in Wong Wien Yai, and you shouldn't have to choose "WDCDMA Only" but if that's the only way you can get it to work then you have to do it. Obviously a decent modem (radio firmware) should be able to handle dual RAT but yours wouldn't be the first that had this problem. And with an air-card it is less of an issue as you are likely stationary; with a mobile it is desirable to automatically switch between 3G and 2G as you move around.

Ever since USA using Sprint, I've been keen to the "force EVDO only" option, as similar issues arised where it would switch to 1x even though I was in EVDO area. The same thing happened with CAT CDMA stick, in Patong Beach. The "force EVDO" option works wonders. The Cat MiFi does not have the option, but does a better job of holding the EVDO signal. But you are right about mobile; although in android it has a "force 2g only". Not sure about "force 3g only"

The forcing method coupled with selecting 850 WCDMA (not "All Bands") seemed to do the trick. There was one time where it "lost" the 3g signal for about 10 seconds before finding another 3g signal. I'll continue to watch it when I return to bangkok in a few weeks.

HSPA was quite strong at the South Bus Station.

Hi,

You could also use the "Personal Hotspot" option in your Iphone 4 and share your 3G connection with your laptop wherever you have 3G.

I am currently waiting for my landline to be installed (forced to be with TOT) and it's been 3 weeks already. But thanks to the Personal Hotspot on Iphone 4 I still have "wifi" shared to 2 laptops in my home.

GJ

I wanted to purchase either a cheap android 2.2 or even a nokia that could do this. If it is 4000-6000 baht and supports 850mhz 3g, it may be worth it vs purchasing Trues MiFi.

Edited by 4evermaat