Flights From Chiang Mai To Usa

millwall_fan

Thanks for your interesting and informative posts neilrob. I wonder why travel agents (2 now that I have contacted in C.M.) are saying that the China Airlines CNX-TPE-LAX and return service has been suspended???

The only reason can be that travel agents don't know what they are talking about! They look at the web site and can't find the flight---although if they bothered to look at the timetable or call China Airlines they would know soon enough. I can certainly swear from personal experience that China Airlines is indeed flying the route three times a week! I would not be in SF as I write this if not.

To the op, if the family could book the flights out of Lax it is more reasonable than using travel arrangements from here. My daughter flew from CM to Lax, via Taiwan Jan. this year. As noted by some they are still flying (China Airlines)

The Quarter of New Orleans is tourist friendly and safe as is any place I have been in La. The locals will consider you a part of the extended family so southern hospitality will prevail. You will be in La. during crayfish season (if your going in the next month or so) and Covington will have them served many ways (all good) Set back, relax, drink beer, eat, and enjoy the festivities (the Cajuns are good at all of them, so follow their lead)

Just as a follow up to some of the above posts. I do a lot of travelling and have considerable experience of both CNX and BKK. There is just no comparison between flying internationally out of CNX and BKK. BKK has long distances to walk between parts of the vast terminal, lengthy immigration lines (there have been letters in the Bangkok Post recently complaining of waits up to 90 minutes at immigration!) and long waits to get luggage. CNX has convenient distances, bags that arrive quickly and, most important, if there is one person ahead of you at immigration that is a long queue by CNX standards. If you have a choice, then IMHO you are crazy not to choose CNX, unless the financial advantage is absolutely overwhelming.

Edited by neilrob

I flex the CNX-TPE-LAX route last year and very much enjoyed flying through CNX and not having to deal with BKK. China airlines was helpful over the phone but the website is essentially worthless.

Regarding the safety factor; it depends on where you are staying but generally very safe. Covington is in the middle of nowhere for practical purposes and I'm not really familiar with that area other than driving through it. The entire north shore is pretty safe (I'd think you'd stay in Mandeville if you stayed North of lake Pontchartrain). If you stay in New Orleans you will have to cross the causeway to get to Covington which could get to be a pain and very expensive by taxi but you actually have things to do / see and easy transport if you don't have access to a car. In New Orleans (I lived in uptown after Katrina) there is a fair bit of violence but it is not random violence; mostly thugs killing other thugs and their families. Nothing to worry about beyond pick pockets and scams for a tourist really, same as anywhere else.

I take back what I said about Covington being in the middle of nowhere... it is close to the Abita brewery in Abita Springs. Maybe worth a trip if you are into that sort of thing. Personally, I grew rather fond of Abita and always suggest trying the local products. :)

CPT. Many thanks: a few golden nuggets of info there! Especially the Abita brewery. That's been added to the itinery!! I think we'll be staying in covington itself, although my sister in law was working in a Thai restaurant in Mandeville when she met her intended.

At The moment its looking like Korean Air from Chiang Mai to Seoul Incheon (every Thursday and Saturday) from there to Dallas/Fort Worth direct and then on to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. From what you are saying, I'd be OK taking a hire car from New Orleans Airport (in Kennar I believe) and then across the causeway to Covington. Is there a toll to cross the causeway? Does that sound safe for a 'newbie' to the US? I've heard stories about carjackings and so forth. We'll be staying with family so can't ask hotels for info and my prospective brother in law isnt from that part of the world, he just works there in the oil business.

One thing that is coming out , is that it's very difficult to book through flights from Chiang Mai to North America either by China Airlines or Korean Air. I can't make either of their websites come up with a through fare.

At The moment its looking like Korean Air from Chiang Mai to Seoul Incheon (every Thursday and Saturday) from there to Dallas/Fort Worth direct and then on to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. From what you are saying, I'd be OK taking a hire car from New Orleans Airport (in Kennar I believe) and then across the causeway to Covington. Is there a toll to cross the causeway? Does that sound safe for a 'newbie' to the US? I've heard stories about carjackings and so forth. We'll be staying with family so can't ask hotels for info and my prospective brother in law isnt from that part of the world, he just works there in the oil business.

A taxi would be a nearly $100 fare from MSY to that area. If I remember correctly, some friends found it was cheaper to reach the north shore from MSY by hired car other than taxis (North shore express?) but I never made the trip myself so I'm not certain. Taxis are a real pain in New Orleans and best avoided if possible. Renting a car would be pretty easy and there is no toll to cross the causeway. Let me know if you need any other info :)

Edited for clarity

Edited to add: no reason to worry about carjackings.

Edited by CPT

CPT. Many thanks: a few golden nuggets of info there! Especially the Abita brewery. That's been added to the itinery!! I think we'll be staying in covington itself, although my sister in law was working in a Thai restaurant in Mandeville when she met her intended.

One thing that is coming out , is that it's very difficult to book through flights from Chiang Mai to North America either by China Airlines or Korean Air. I can't make either of their websites come up with a through fare.

Korean Air's website is nearly as useless as China Air's. Try going to Korean Air's office on Nimmanhaemin (maybe soi 4?). They were very helpful in person.

Korean Air's website is nearly as useless as China Air's. Try going to Korean Air's office on Nimmanhaemin (maybe soi 4?). They were very helpful in person.

I went past there this morning. It's actually the corner of Nimman Soi 2.

I flew China Air in November to Los Angeles for about 30,000 baht. When you get to LA or before you can book a flight to New Orleans on Southwest airlines.That is about the best discount airlines going that route. They also permit 2 check-in bags per person for free.Most other airlines are charging for check-in in the states,and it aint cheap.

I guess you will be going to a Cajun wedding and I am sure you have no problem with the English accent.They sound like they are from Brooklyn. Louisiana is famous for their Oysters and shrimp as well as crayfish. If you like spicy Thai food you should enjoy the local cuisine.I recommend crayfish pie and seafood gumbo when you come across it.When you see signs for poor boys,dont worry they aint selling the peasants,they are sandwiches on French baguettes.Try a softshell crab po boy,delicious.Red beans and rice are a Monday favorite,and if you like Oysters you will be in heaven.

Laisez Les Bon Temps Roules

I flew China Air in November to Los Angeles for about 30,000 baht. When you get to LA or before you can book a flight to New Orleans on Southwest airlines.That is about the best discount airlines going that route. They also permit 2 check-in bags per person for free.Most other airlines are charging for check-in in the states,and it aint cheap.

I guess you will be going to a Cajun wedding and I am sure you have no problem with the English accent.They sound like they are from Brooklyn. Louisiana is famous for their Oysters and shrimp as well as crayfish. If you like spicy Thai food you should enjoy the local cuisine.I recommend crayfish pie and seafood gumbo when you come across it.When you see signs for poor boys,dont worry they aint selling the peasants,they are sandwiches on French baguettes.Try a softshell crab po boy,delicious.Red beans and rice are a Monday favorite,and if you like Oysters you will be in heaven.

Southwest Airline is the Air Asia of the US. http://www.southwest.com/

Now that's what the Chiang Mai food scene is missing, yeah! Anyhow, no trip to New Orleans would be complete without the red beans and rice, jambalaya, blackened redfish, etc. etc. and a visit to Brennan's:

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/

Hope you like okra and chickory in your coffee.

Another option at this moment is China Eastern now that they are flying from CNX to Kunming . They connect threw Shanghai on to the west cost of North America

First, that's 3 flights to N. Amer vs 2 on Korean.

If you're going to do the extra flight you might as well change in BKK instead of Kunming and Shanghai.

Second, you're even more limited in direct flights from Shanghai to the US unless you want to change planes somewhere for a 4th flight.

Not a viable option.

Another option at this moment is China Eastern now that they are flying from CNX to Kunming . They connect threw Shanghai on to the west cost of North America

If you're going to do the extra flight you might as well change in BKK instead of Kunming and Shanghai.

Second, you're even more limited in direct flights from Shanghai to the US unless you want to change planes somewhere for a 4th flight.

Not a viable option.

I didn't say how good or bad..just an option. There was a time not to far back that the only option in Chiang Mai was to go to BKK. Now we have three airlines going east with out going to SWAMPY. The positive on CE is its, only a 8 hour lay over in Kunming and CA is looking at a 12 hour lay over in TP.

Just booked BKK - SFO for 38k. Via HK with the excellent Cathay Pacific. EVA air was 1,000 baht cheaper - not worth it though because you have to deal with TPE, layover etc see below.

I fly to SFO a lot and China / Korean are the only "direct" ones. Eva used to but I don't think they do it anymore from CNX.

The reason I dislike these is the layovers in TPE or Korea. TPE airport sucks - very boring. Korea Incheon is super nice, but last time the Korea flight left CNX at 0:30 in the morning, and then we had a 10 hour layover in Incheon - stupid. Depends on the target aiport of course LAX might be easier, maybe there's even direct ones to Dallas?

So here is what I do, and what I can recomment:

1 - Check the best flight with hipmunk (http://www.hipmunk.com/). They have an "agony" rating which is perfect, a combination of flight time, layover time, stops, and price. That will tell you the best airlines to take.

2 - Check with your local travel agent for the best prices. The best price I was quoted on Hipmunk for BKK-SFO on a kinda sorta short notice was $1,650. Travel agent price around $1,200. I don't know why but online prices always seem to be higher if your travel agent knows what she'd doing.

I can recommend you a travel agent too, have used her for years.

I went past there this morning. It's actually the corner of Nimman Soi 2.

Korean has excellent service; and good food too. The only problem was the very long layover. As nice as Incheon is - it was just too long...

Eva is OK

Cathay great

China always the cheapest, and a little bit scary. They have technical problems on their planes sometimes. (It's a Taiwanese airline BTW)

Not a viable option.

I didn't say how good or bad..just an option. There was a time not to far back that the only option in Chiang Mai was to go to BKK. Now we have three airlines going east with out going to SWAMPY. The positive on CE is its, only a 8 hour lay over in Kunming and CA is looking at a 12 hour lay over in TP.

It all depends where you're going and the OP has already determined that Korean Air is probably best. And with an 8 hour layover in Kunming and another in Shanghai, no one would choose this route over BKK.

If you want to be helpful, suggest CM-Singapore then connect to the west coast. Very costly but certainly the shortest overall flight time.

I just glanced at the topic....and didn't read the responses, however

IMO, http://www.kayak.com/ is the best search engine for flights and you can filter whatever...example, I just moved here from Seattle so I got a one way flight from Seattle to CM (change flight in South Korea)...I also purchased the tix like 6 days prior for $600...of course one way is more expensive and it always seems cheaper to get here than to leave but then again I never bought around trip tix to Thailand because I never know how long I will stay for sure.

again you can filter whatever, last time I left Thailand I made sure I had a top in Hawaii and my connecting flight was 70 days later...haha...I know nice right?

And no, I don't work for above link...they even have an app for my iphone