Grits

richard10365

Did you forget this topic you started previously..?  :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=39872&hl=grits

totster  :o

Hi Totster,

I remember the topic I started. And after taking the advise of some people, I took the 5 hour bus ride to Bangkok and the suggested store didn't have any grits. Thats why I want to know if someone auctually saw grits on a shelf recently in Thailand.

Richard, have you ever considered making your own grits? You could try grinding dried corn in a coffee grinder or food mill (coffee grinder would be better then you could make it as coarse as you need). I have seen dried corn for sale in many fresh markets.

Richard, it is called Malet khao pote. I have definitely seen it around. Yeah, that is the problem with drying things in the sun, they attract critters and bugs. Too many times my husband has tried drying fish and it ends up with little maggots in it. :o

One thing that I miss is corn bread. Haven't found corn meal available and sbk mentioned grinding your own. My research on the Internet indicates that "yellow dent corn" is used. Is this available in Thailand (more specifically Chiangmai)?

corndent.jpg

Wonder if you could grind popcorn and use it to make the meal for grits/corn bread?

I have done the search for this topic in TV.

Has anyone auctually seen grits in Thailand on a shelf in a store?

=========================================

I'm from near Philadelphia, but have been getting to Arkansas often now a days.

I been eating more, and more grits, especially stopping at numerous "Waffle Houses" enjoying them.

Now that you mentioned it, I am going to have some for breakfast tomorrow, and sure do hope they are available in the LOS as well............DJM

Yellow dent corn is harder and less sweet than sweet corn, I suspect that the dried corn I have seen could be dent corn or possibly flint corn. If you find the dried corn it is certainly worth a try to see if it works.

I'm not a big grits fan but love cornbread!

If you're coming from the US, pick up your Grits there. I get a friend to bring them in for me. He brings me the Quaker Instant kind and on his first trip he brought over some slow cook kind which are good but I prefer the instant. I have offered 2 of the 3 boxes (of the slow cook kind) to Richard but he's not in Bangkok so whenever he gets here he can have those. Grits wouldn't be the same as using corn meal as grits are made from homminy (white corn) not yellow corn.

If you are looking for corn meal, I have bought it at Bangkok Mission Hospital in there natural food store. I would think you could buy it elsewhere.

According to the grits website (yes, there is a website devoted to grits)

Corn Grits

Falls Mill mills locally grown whole white hybrid corn. The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking.

Hominy

Is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers.

According to the grits website (yes, there is a website devoted to grits)

Corn Grits

Falls Mill mills locally grown whole white hybrid corn. The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product. This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before cooking.

Hominy

Is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times, they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers.

I am going to see if i can make my own grits. If i do, maybe I will start an OTOP product....lol :o

coming in on the 26 could bring you some southern grits from the states if you like

Mr Kringle offered to get me some grits too. The only problem is me getting to Mr Kringle. I usually plan my big trips to BKK on a major event like a visa run.

Maybe I should up the priority on grits and do a major farang food run. :o Bacon, potatoes, cheese and grits!

in a Tom Hanks movie a poor black condemned man is asked what he wants for his last meal...'meat loaf, mashed potatoes...an' I sure would like some of dat CORN BREAD yo' missus made one time...'

yassuh...mmm,mmm, good...I can get corn meal here in Bahrain and make corn bread at least once a week...can't get the thai wife to eat it though (barbaric heathens)