Sign Language Information

Hermes100

This topic caught my eye after getting into a discussion the other day with my wife who told me Thais don't have a hand gesture for saying hi. The typical waive you use when saying hello to say a cute baby actually means good-bye here and she says there is nothing to say hello but that most Thais understand when a farang waives they mean hello and not come here ... if this is true then good luck with sign language cause I always figured each culture had hand signs for basic things like hello and good-bye.

Given I have rambled off topic or at least not in response to your question ... I did feel obliged to look up an answer for you ... http://en.wikipedia....i_Sign_Language

Edited by Nisa

This topic caught my eye after getting into a discussion the other day with my wife who told me Thais don't have a hand gesture for saying hi. The typical waive you use when saying hello to say a cute baby actually means good-bye here and she says there is nothing to say hello but that most Thais understand when a farang waives they mean hello and not come here ... if this is true then good luck with sign language cause I always figured each culture had hand signs for basic things like hello and good-bye.

Given I have rambled off topic or at least not in response to your question ... I did feel obliged to look up an answer for you ... http://en.wikipedia....i_Sign_Language

Go to the Beer Garden on Soi 7 and ask for Ae, she will teach you all you need to know about sign language .. for a small fee..!!

It's a little unclear what you are looking for. Are you wanting to take a sign language class for fun (or for educational purposes)? Or, are you deaf, sign in another country, and want to learn some Thai sign language so you can communicate with Thai people? If you are currently a signer, I'm sure you already know that different countries have different "languages" of sign - just like spoken languages, it's not universal. In the US it's ASL - American Sign Language. I'm not personally familiar with the type of sign used in Thailand, but according to Wikipedia, it is similar to ASL, so that's good if you happen to be American. If not, I have no clue how similar it would be to the sign of your country.

To find classes, you could check with universities who might offer courses, or contact audiologists who may be able to point you in the right direction. I also came across this blog:

http://discoveringdeafworlds.blogspot.com/2008/03/first-impressions-of-deaf-community-in.html

Maybe you could find out if this Jay guy is still working in Thailand, and try to find him through his university. If he is an advocate for the deaf community, he is probably aware of sign language courses.

• 1 year later...

hello

I am here for a few month's and would like some info on sign language. Can anyone please tell me ,what style is the most popular here? And , also, where can one brush up on it? Are there any place's to learn it

thanking all in advance

Hello,

My native fluent is sign language and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need to know more about it.

Regards

Tony