Furniture Polish

trainman34014

You can buy it at carrefour it's bloody expensive though!

Tried Carrefour today and they took me to the shoe polish ! Didn't understand furniture polish even in Thai.

It's in the same aisle as the insect sprays and air freshners a little further down on the opposite side, priced at well over 200 baht a can.

its in tops (pledge)very expensive though,about 300 bht,i always bring about 4 tins back with from uk,its about a quid a tin in uk.

If I bring it back from the UK I will have to leave out some Cheese or Tea Bags or Brown Sauce or Blackcurrent Jam or one of a whole multitude of other goodies. Even with 30kilo's on Emirates and another 10 or 11 (should be 8) on board I still never have enough room but I'll think of something next trip.

I come from the furniture industry in the US and thought every product was special. But eventually I learned that that was not the case. Some products are good for multiple purposes. Try Cana. It is a Thai car Cream that should do the trick. Wax has been used for centuries to protect and shine furniture and is every-bit as effective today. A standard caveat is that you try it on a small portion to test it out to make sure it dose not melt your fingers! Joke! It amazes me that I can use that that in one sentence and not wince! As in a car job put it on and rub it in very well and remove the excess. Works like a champ! Probably a lot cheaper than the imports!

Home made solutions are often superior. I saw this one recently but haven't tried it yet:

2 parts vegetable oil + 1 part vinegar + 1 part vodka.

Is vegetable oil still cheaper than vodka?

Edit: If it doesn't work to your satisfaction, make a happy salad!

Edited by amexpat

Another product available locally (sorry I can not tell you exactly where as I don't remember where I bought it) is KIWI kwik wax "for Wood and parquet floors, terrazzo, linoleum & furniture". This comes in a tin that looks exactly like car wax but a little larger. One tin will last for years and really does a nice job. Can't be to expensive or I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Can is white, orange and black and weighs in at 1 pound.

post-116788-0-42989200-1298354296_thumb.

I was in Tops Airport Plaza today and saw large spray cans of Pledge lemon and Pledge orange, for something like 260 and 280 baht. They were in the same area as the shoe polish, window cleaner, etc.

It's not normally something I look for, because I'd never dream of using these products on fine wood furniture. All they do is cause the build-up of a hazy film on fine wood furniture.

Now we don't have any "fine" wood furniture; all our current furniture came from the Chang Moi wicker furniture vendors. In the U.S., we had "fine wood furniture" and a couple times a year we'd clean that furniture with Murphy's oil soap. I haven't seen that here.

its in tops (pledge)very expensive though,about 300 bht,i always bring about 4 tins back with from uk,its about a quid a tin in uk.

If I bring it back from the UK I will have to leave out some Cheese or Tea Bags or Brown Sauce or Blackcurrent Jam or one of a whole multitude of other goodies. Even with 30kilo's on Emirates and another 10 or 11 (should be 8) on board I still never have enough room but I'll think of something next trip.

no what you mean,all i take to uk is presents,thinking i will have plenty of space for return trip,never seems to work out though,im always up to the limit on return.

Vintage Cheddar Cheese,100's of different teas,lots of Blackcurrant Jams ( I consume pots of the Steamline brand-it's full of fruit and not overburdened with sugar ) and probably Brown sauces as well as Pledge; all readily available in Chiang Mai so no need burden Emirates with the extra weight . By the way have you thought of beeswax , the traditional furniture polish also readily available on the doorstep in the honey shops.

Vintage Cheddar Cheese,100's of different teas,lots of Blackcurrant Jams ( I consume pots of the Steamline brand-it's full of fruit and not overburdened with sugar ) and probably Brown sauces as well as Pledge; all readily available in Chiang Mai so no need burden Emirates with the extra weight . By the way have you thought of beeswax , the traditional furniture polish also readily available on the doorstep in the honey shops.

Thanks for all the tips lads. I have actually got it sorted with Bees Wax now. Asmeron; where is this Steamline blackcurrant jam? I know all the other products are here if I want to pay the price for them but whatever I bring back is not only cheaper but for some strange reason tastes better ! By the way; did you mean Streamline? or was 'Steamline' some reference to my web name?