Knife Sharpening

nocturn

I dont usually seek advice on the forums but does anyone know where i can get some-high end chef's knives properly re-edged without sending them away for a ridiculously long amount of time? . This has been baffling me for years, and the sharpening steel just isn't cutting it anymore. (pun intended)

Edited by nocturn

This does not directly answer you question, but here is what I have done.

I bought a sharpening stone for my Zwilling 5-star knives, and it works great for me! I bought the stone from Zwilling, to ensure that is "fits" my knives. The only knives it can not sharpen is my bread knife and my tomato knife, but they had a different knife sharpener for that purpose.

As far as I know, all good knife brands, sell sharpening equipment.

Just make sure that the sharpening equipment are made for you knives, since the angle of which they are sharpened varies from brand to brand!

The stone I have looks like this:

Its two sided, fine and course.

31ixb8cM3PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My other sharpener looks like this:

(the one I use for bread and tomato knives)

41HMQTKQAGL._SL500_.jpg

I honestly don't know much about high end chef knives specifically but would bet you would be better off doing them yourself. I've been sharpening my own knives using a simple sharpening stone my whole life. But electronic sharpeners have come a long way and can come with abrasive diamond surfaces and are properly angled to ensure high quality blades are sharpened properly and you get the most life out of them.

Keep in mind too a sharpening steel really doesn't sharpen and simply unfolds the edge of the knife where it is microscopically folding over on itself. After a while without actual sharpening the sharpening steel won't be able to unfold the edge. A good home sharpener will reshape the edge making it stronger.

Sorry but I have no clue where to get a good sharpener here in Thailand but I bet if you do some searching on the net you can find a couple brands made specifically for high-end chef knives and the go from there in terms of finding one here. I really believe you would be better off this way. Even if you were to find somebody specializing in chef knives .. everything I have heard says these new home sharpeners do just as good of a job.

Check out Isetan Department Store for japanese water stones. google japanese water stones and also see on youtube. these stones are used for 900 euro sushi knives.

ceramic knive require diamond stone and or ceramic stones.

serrated edges need special sharpeners.

thanks for the replies, I suppose.

i also want the tips reground. One of my knives has not been properly sharpened since i left Canada 14 years ago.

I know i can use a sharpener or water stone, but would prefer to have the knives professionally edged.

So, back to the question i asked, does anyone know of a knife sharpening service in BKK?

I have henckel, wustof, and anolon knives.

ts

Edited by nocturn

I know a little shop near Saphan Kwai BTS that we take all our hair cutting scissors, nail files, gougers etc. to get sharpened. They have 4 or 5 guys in the back room with grinding wheels and have always done a good job with our equipment. I can't vouch for how they would treat chef knives though.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys I have to bump this topic.

I have a 60cm long machete blade I need sharp for an off roading trip in Laos for 10 days.

This thing came dull from Cold Steel and I tried my Lansky sharpening kit and a carbide pull through sharpener already.

After a few hours, the blade is still 80% dull.

This blade is just too long to sharpen with the stuff I have and for my patience.

I think it needs to be put to a sharpening wheel.

I've lived in BKK for 2 years and have never seen a mobile sharpening service nor do any of my friends have kitchen knives never mind a machete.

So can anyone pop onto google maps and post a link to a precise location I can take this to in Bangkok?

I don't want to waste time trying to sharpen it anymore when I can pay a Thai to do it for cheap.

Edited by ttakata