If You Can Change Bangkok What Would You Change?

PinmemoValokuvaus

A 'congestion charge' system for all private cars entering the CBD and areas with MRTA/BTS access, similar to the ones operating in some major foreign cities.

Change local building regulations so that there is minimal car parking space allocated in high-rise office buildings, not the first ten stories as is the case now.

Expand the existing BTS/MRTA and make this a priority.

Stop the building of concession funded/operated elevated tollways in Bangkok - this an outmoded concept (as a business model) and the benefits provided to joe public are minimal.

Stop the building of golf courses on prime agricultural land on the fringes of Bangkok.

Instigate a meaningful long term solution to Bangkok flooding/inundation (not sure how best to do this though)

I would change it back to how it was in 1998.

No skytrain?

Skytrain was under construction then. With horrible traffic jams everywhere. Maybe fond memories for Andy? :)

Very fond memories indeed my friend.

Most of the things people want to change would just make bkk more and more like a boring, clean cut European city and thats not what i signed up for. That's just my imo. :)

Edited by Andy101

1. Clear off the sidewalks...there are way, way, way too many street vendors. Bangkokians have forgetton what an open, clear sidewalk is like.

2. Military out of government.

Edited by Jawnie

Clear the footpaths /sidewalks, on a gradual basis if necessary. when shops are pushing their products outside the open fronts onto the pavement.

And generally enforcing laws as they are in the Streets, Eg, surely Motorbikes are not permitted on the footpaths?I have seen policemen asking to see papers of a motorbike rider on the road while on the path a motor cyclist happily making his way .Crazy