Water Filters

lost_in_space

we just got a water filter in our house. i did a bit of googling about their effectiveness, but i got too much info about microns and not enough simple answers. a friend of mine told me that they basically make the water taste better but don't really weed out the bad boys swimming in the tapwater.

anybody know if filtered watered is really safer? it may seem frivolous but i now have an 8 month old drinking it instead of bottled water (i'm assuming bottled water is safe)

There was a long thread recently you might be able to find but it depends on the type of filter you have.

RO is highly effective.

UV is highly effective.

Ceramic type candle filters are highly effective, especially if silver treated.

Carbon and resin type are taste/hardness.

Purchased water has not had a good track record - often testing below tap water.

Several bottled water factories in Pattaya were raided recently. Many of them were shut down immediately because the water they bottled was unfit for human consumption. Some of these factories even used fake bottles to make it look like it was a known brand name.

Filter your own water using a good quality UV/cheramic/carbon filtering system (RO is to expensive). A good system would cost from 5,000 to 50,000 bath.

Several bottled water factories in Pattaya were raided recently. Many of them were shut down immediately because the water they bottled was unfit for human consumption. Some of these factories even used fake bottles to make it look like it was a known brand name.

Filter your own water using a good quality UV/cheramic/carbon filtering system (RO is to expensive). A good system would cost from 5,000 to 50,000 bath.

What is the source of your information?

If you are reasonably sure that the water is already biologically safe (from a chlorinated source like MWA or PWA) then all that you probably need is a prefilter to get rid of suspended solids and an activated carbon filter for "flavor". As someone mentioned, including a RO stage would be top of the line.

If you are using water from a well or other source, you'd be best to include a UV stage to kill any bacteria.

A couple of weeks ago my wife convinced me to buy a water purifier from Amway Thailand, brand name "espring". I was skeptical after using bottled water for many years, and didn't trust it at first.

After 2 weeks I think it's one of the best things we have ever bought here. I'm English, and for the first time hot tea tastes the same as it does in England.

It has a carbon filter and also UV. I looked at the manufacturers website (espring.com) and it seems to be high spec. I know Amway products are generally high quality, and their after sales service seems quite good, and so that was another reason I decided to buy it. I suppose the product must live up to it's claims or they'd be in trouble in the US.

My wife's friend is a sales rep for Amway in Bangkok, if you would like more info PM me with your mobile phone number and I can ask her to call you to arrange a demo at your home. She speaks reasonable English, and doesn't do a hard sell. Or you could try Amway Thailand direct (I'm not on a commission).

They are not cheap, around 30,000 Baht. Apparently Amway are running Ads for now in places like the UBC magazine.

What is the source of your information?

The info was from Pattaya Mail and this was not the first time this has happend:

http://www.pattayamail.com/630/news.shtml

Here is the full article:

A random survey by city hall sanitary inspectors working in cooperation with Banglamung Hospital has revealed drinking water suppliers selling substandard water, working in uncontrolled surroundings, and lacking in official documentation.

Inspectors first visited the TPI drinking water factory at Soi Sukhumvit 43 in Naklua, and the SodSai factory, which is two blocks away. The packing rooms and filling processes were found to be substandard, with toxic substances present.

The Rose factory on Thappraya Road revealed similar deficiencies, and also proved to be unlicensed. The inspectors halted production because of the low standards of the water and the fake labels that were being used. For the water already bottled, police attached a toxic substance notice.

The inspections were carried out under the direction of Deputy Mayor Wuttisak Rermkijakarn and Dusit Chantaracha, pharmacist at Banglamung Hospital. The companies in breach of the regulations have been given 15 days to arrange their licenses and upgrade their processes. If they do not take action they will be prosecuted.

Wuttisak said that Pattaya City lacks water and he voiced concern about people buying drinking water unfit for consumption. The random tests will continue, he said.

We've got one of the 3 stage filters (50 micron, ion-exchange, carbon) with a UV blatter on top, never had any bug problems.

I'm going to add one of the cotton filters in front though, recently the tap water has had lots of crispy bits that clog the 50 micron.

The missus drinks the water (she won't straight from the tap).

I would still boil water for the nipper though, can never be too careful.

A couple of weeks ago my wife convinced me to buy a water purifier from Amway Thailand, brand name "espring". I was skeptical after using bottled water for many years, and didn't trust it at first.

After 2 weeks I think it's one of the best things we have ever bought here. I'm English, and for the first time hot tea tastes the same as it does in England.

It has a carbon filter and also UV. I looked at the manufacturers website (espring.com) and it seems to be high spec. I know Amway products are generally high quality, and their after sales service seems quite good, and so that was another reason I decided to buy it. I suppose the product must live up to it's claims or they'd be in trouble in the US.

My wife's friend is a sales rep for Amway in Bangkok, if you would like more info PM me with your mobile phone number and I can ask her to call you to arrange a demo at your home. She speaks reasonable English, and doesn't do a hard sell. Or you could try Amway Thailand direct (I'm not on a commission).

They are not cheap, around 30,000 Baht. Apparently Amway are running Ads for now in places like the UBC magazine.

I have one of the above and I concur with the whole content of the post