Thai Police Probe Mysterious Death Of British Couple In Chiang Mai

webfact

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

NOT sure the Thais are capable of a true forsenic post mortem and what do they have to gain by doing one ? no money in it and only money counts in this wonderful land of lovely ladies, lets face it guys if it was not for the girls this would be a second North Korea.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The bodies of the British pensioners, George and Eileen Everitt, were found in their room at the three-star Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai, days after a 23-year-old New Zealand woman who was staying at the hotel died from food poisoning. Two other New Zealand women were taken ill but recovered.

The Everitts died on Sunday but their deaths were not made public until today. There were no signs of violence or any medication indicating they might have taken their own lives.

Chiang Mai police captain Wichian Chompu said: 'We do not want to speculate on the cause of death but if there has been any poisoning it should be revealed in medical tests.'

The couple had been staying at the hotel since 9 February, the day that New Zealander Sarah Carter died from food poisoning which police initially attributed to eating toxic seaweed from a stall at a bazaar. Her friend Amanda Eliason, 24, who also ate the seaweed, recovered after heart surgery. However, a third woman, Emma Langlands, 23, ate a different meal from the stall but also suffered food poisoning.

Miss Carter's father Richard spoke to his daughter when she was on her way to hospital. His wife then caught a flight to Thailand but Sarah had died by the time her mother arrived.

Mr Carter said: 'It appeared to be just bad food poisoning. But within an hour of our conversation the thing just spread to her heart.'

He said that toxic seaweed had since been ruled out and Thai police have been asked to refocus their investigation. Some 15 people have died in Thailand from eating poisonous puffer fish coloured to look like salmon."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359826/Triple-Thailand-tragedy-Briton-drowns-stag-party-pensioners-die-food-poisoning-adventure-holidaymaker-injured-rampaging-elephant.html#ixzz1Ez04XGTJ

Puffer fish has to be a possibility, called pakpao in Thailand and one of the the species in LOS is a freshwater variety, came across it in Laos as well. Difference in the symptons can be due to the age of the subjects and amount of the neurotoxin contained in the parts of the fish consumed.

For those of you who thought that this only happened in Japan, this link might wake you up. Here."Crime Suppression Division seize 5000 kg of puffer fish"

Edited by roamer

suicide comes to mind.

but they should do post mortem asap, now is at least 3 days afted they died - the sooner they know facts the sooner the police can do their job (if necessary)

NOT sure the Thais are capable of a true forsenic post mortem and what do they have to gain by doing one ? no money in it and only money counts in this wonderful land of lovely ladies, lets face it guys if it was not for the girls this would be a second North Korea.

The Thais are indeed capable of true (i.e.international-standard) post mortem, believe me. And it will have been conducted on these foreigners, as the cause of death was not immediately obvious. It may disappoint you that the result of the post-mortem was not published here. But that is your problem and nobody else's.

Your posting borders on something I don't even want to mention on this forum.

suicide comes to mind.

There is a law in Thailand that says that every death of which the cause is not obvious requires an autopsy. For certain reasons I have no doubt that this will be (has been?) done within the required and reasonable time frame. However, I do not believe that the results need to be (or even can be) published on a public list like this.

Also note that the death of every foreigner has to be reported to their embassy within a certain time frame. I am quite confident that this has been done by the Thai authorities, and that the embassy is also helping to protect the privacy of the deceased, meaning the result of the autopsy. Which has no doubt taken place in the meantime.

Therefore, I do not believe we will see the outcome of the autopsy on this forum. My suggestion is to stop all speculations.

RIP, and my condolences to the family.

..you're right..you will never see the Autopsy Report..why would you..it is a confidential document completed by the appointed Government Pathologist and controlled by the Coroner, released to the Police and family via the deceased's embassy.

Any Sudden Death, the cause of which is unknown is the subject of a Coronial Inquiry and must have a full or limited autopsy to ascertain the cause of death.

The Coroner would order the Autopsy as soon as he receives the Police Report..a matter of hours.

Toxicology results can take up to 6 weeks.

If the Coroner cannot determine a Cause of Death from evidence put before him he can make an Open Finding or if he finds there are other areas or charges that may arise out of his finding, he may refer the matter back to the Dept. Public Prosecutions for investigation.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Toxicology results can take up to 6 weeks.

If that is the case we will never hear. Even in western papers they are not that interested. :(

Thai police told the BBC that the couple was found dead in their room at the DownTown Inn

Downtown Inn - Chiang Mai

โรงแรม ดาวทาวน์ อินน์ - เชียงใหม่

One could suspect cyanosis - if there was a leaking A/C or charcoal burner in the room...

Puzzled - Why did Buchholz repeat the name of the inn and then repeat it in Thai..??

'Lohng Lam Dahw Tahw Inn - Chiang Mai'

Above that there was a photo of the hotel where the incident took place, but it was edited out.

Don't know why.

I'm puzzled why Dighambara felt the need to repeat what Buchholz wrote but in very bad English-Thai phonectic transliteration. In trying to show off what a fantastic cunning linguist he is he has just proved he is probably wearing a Chang beer vest.

In the interests of the fight against misinformation, and if any body want to ask a CM taxi driver, the proper phonetic spelling for whats written in the Thai shown is in fact - Rohng Rairm Dow TowN Inn chi-ang mai . If you feel the need to start swapping Rs for Ls do it when you haven't got a keyboard at hand.

Peace.

You are so right to mention the dangers to health of Mono Sodium Glutamate.........I was hospitalized after consuming MSG at a Chinese restaurant in London a few years ago, suffering from arrhythmia (a well documented side effect of the substance).

There should be a total ban on the use of this substance. If flavoursome food cannot be produced without resorting to using such a dangerous additive, it doesn't reflect very well on those preparing it!

lol there should be , but for now there would be no cooked in Thailand if there was no MSG. They put it in everything !!! ( except high end restaurants )

Maybe chilli ? Too spicy ??

Really looks like suicide pact to me ................. was anything stolen from the couple?

Is there really a lot of crime going on here ? Are foreigners the target/s ?

If so why ?

Regarding MSG, it's commonly used in foods in the west as well. For example, in the UK the very popular snack 'KP Dry Roasted peanuts' contain MSG as a flavour enhancer.

Lots if not most people will have been eating this stuff for years without realising it. I really doubt MSG has anything to do with this.

Regarding MSG, it's commonly used in foods in the west as well. For example, in the UK the very popular snack 'KP Dry Roasted peanuts' contain MSG as a flavour enhancer.

Lots if not most people will have been eating this stuff for years without realising it. I really doubt MSG has anything to do with this.

It is a natural ingredient that is found in many foods naturally.

Glutamate is found in abundance in virtually all natural foods - from meat, poultry, fish, cheese and milk (including human breast milk) to tomatoes, mushrooms and many other vegetables. Glutamate is the most commonly found amino acid in nature, the average diet provides between 10 grams to 20 grams of bound glutamate (bound in protein) and 1 gram of free glutamate (not bound in protein). Glutamate can also be manufactured as MSG

http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/consumers/other-food-topics/msg/