Thailand ‘Best Tourist Country’ For 9th Consecutive Year In Sweden’s Top Tourism Award

webfact

Thailand ‘Best Tourist Country’ for 9th consecutive year in Sweden’s top tourism award

BANGKOK, Feb 25 -- Thailand has won the title of ‘Best Tourist Country’ for the 9th year running from Grand Travel Award, Sweden’s most prestigious tourism industry award, after the kingdom outperformed all other competition at the presentation ceremony held in Stockholm on Feb 16, according to Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Published on the ministry's website, the announcement said that Travel News, Sweden's leading tourism magazine, has hosted the annual award since 1993. In 2011, eight countries were nominated for the award of ‘Best Tourist Country’ in 2011, and Thailand topped all comers with a score of 8.38, followed by the United States with 8.19 and Australia with 8.18.

The Grand Travel Award selection process is conducted through a committee of renowned personalities in Sweden’s tourism industry, which is responsible for selecting nominees for the categories under consideration. Tour operators, in turn, vote on the selected nominees based on set criteria such as product and service development, financial management, customer perception, and local tourism agencies.

At the presentation ceremony, the Thai chargé d' affaires in Stockholm said that Thailand has won the award for nine consecutive years due to its cultural uniqueness and overall diversity, in addition to Thailand’s celebrated ‘sun, sea, and sand’, factors which have persuaded Swedish tourists to revisit the Kingdom time and time again. The award could also be attributed to the outstanding performance in promoting Thai tourism by The Royal Thai Embassy and the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s office in Stockholm.

In addition, Thai Airways ranked 4th place for ‘Best International Flight’ in this year’s awards. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-02-25

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was quite beleivable until this line:

"In addition, Thai Airways ranked 4th place for ‘Best International Flight’ in this year’s awards."

Maybe the attribution is wrong and it is really a notthenation piece?

What a load of bs this magazine should be ripped up, when tourist are being assaulted and extorted on beaches they should not be worthy of this type of award.

look at the complaints on facebook thailand jet ski scams.

What a load of bs this magazine should be ripped up, when tourist are being assaulted and extorted on beaches they should not be worthy of this type of award.

Do a google of this award.

Do a google of this award.

Hey I would be the first to throw my hat in the air if the figures were to be believed. (similar to exit pols at the elections/and predictions) 1st out of all countries--cough.---now T.G. 4th best in the world with their ageing fleet and feedback from most travellers. If these figures were 50/50. then it maybe would be halfway down the list according to the people that travel. Please dont throw stats here, unless you have communication problems.

Edited by ginjag

All six replies thus far are negative. What a surprise!

If you all hate this place so much, feel it's such a hellhole that no one should enjoy travelling here... why are you here? Leave the place to those of us who actually enjoy living here.

This year my wife and I have a continuous stream of Australian, Canadian and British friends and family coming through our flat on the way to the beaches and up north. All have loved their time in Thailand (and Bangkok) and many have commented on how it's the best place they've visited.

Perhaps (I know - shocking idea!) this poll is accurate and reflects the true sentiment of tourists visiting Thailand? It would also explain all those 747s departing BKK to Scandinavia every night.

If nothing else, can we at least appreciate that this may bring more tall, attractive Scandinavian beauties to Thailand?

If you all hate this place so much, feel it's such a hellhole that no one should enjoy travelling here... why are you here? Leave the place to those of us who actually enjoy living here.

Do you think the flight out on TG would be a good idea? :rolleyes:

In addition, Thai Airways ranked 4th place for 'Best International Flight' in this year's awards.

Was it TG that bought those Gripen? :unsure:

Ha 555555555555 I mentioned in a post on the gripen deal, about equip F16 with new updates and make do--after all T.G. are using the same age aircraft.:lol: :lol:

<br>What a load of bs this magazine should be ripped up, when tourist are  being assaulted and extorted on beaches they should not be worthy of this type of award.<br><br>look at the complaints on facebook thailand jet ski scams.<br>
<br><br>

You are obviously either very narrow minded or naive. These scams happen in all countries. Contrary to popular opinion they are talked about more openly in Thailand because of the freedom of press here. Many countries would not allow the openness that Thailand allows.

On another note here in Thailand they are mainly talked about in the English speaking press. The press has no credibility in truth telling. Do you really believe that all the accusations in the press are true. Do you really believe that the press reports the final decisions if they are six months in the making. They do if there is enough people interested but as you well know people are not interested beyond the headlines. Unless they can use it to push there own prejudices. ":("

And finally this is not a universal statement it is only one organization in Sweden's opinion.

Just out of curiosity what country would you rate as a top tourist destination. Many of the western countries rule them selves out with there tough visa regulations. Where as Thailand lets any one enter for a holiday. That fact alone should tell you that Thailand is a friendly place to come to.B)

Edited by jayjay0

I don't even bother to go to Thailand anymore. It used to be good. Now, It's just a bypass.

Interesting a new member who won;t even come to Thailand but has a negative opinion.

Reminds me of the back packer who figures he got ripped off Because he had to pay 30 Baht and a Thai only had to pay 25 Baht

"It used to be good".

I wonder what there was that is not there any more. In all likely hood there used to be a lot less tourists and the prices were a lot lower.:o

<br>What a load of bs this magazine should be ripped up, when tourist are  being assaulted and extorted on beaches they should not be worthy of this type of award.<br><br>look at the complaints on facebook thailand jet ski scams.<br>
<br><br>

You are obviously either very narrow minded or naive. These scams happen in all countries. Contrary to popular opinion they are talked about more openly in Thailand because of the freedom of press here. Many countries would not allow the openness that Thailand allows.

On another note here in Thailand they are mainly talked about in the English speaking press. The press has no credibility in truth telling. Do you really believe that all the accusations in the press are true. Do you really believe that the press reports the final decisions if they are six months in the making. They do if there is enough people interested but as you well know people are not interested beyond the headlines. Unless they can use it to push there own prejudices. ":("

And finally this is not a universal statement it is only one organization in Sweden's opinion.

Just out of curiosity what country would you rate as a top tourist destination. Many of the western countries rule them selves out with there tough visa regulations. Where as Thailand lets any one enter for a holiday. That fact alone should tell you that Thailand is a friendly place to come to.B)

Are you being sacastic ?? or do you believe your comments are valid. Press have no credibility-- you believe Thailand is the best ?? tell us what is second best ?? Jet sea scams in france england ---Look at the tourist figures for other top countries--put off with the visa regulations ?? No freedom of the press anywhere else ???? So again the poster is narrowminded and/or naive. We have one or two other arrogant posters who talk like this, then they post B/s#t -people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

I'm flying BKK-Australia on them tomorrow night and have flown them over 100 times in the past three years. While their inconsistent hard product (lack of AVOD on most European flights for instance) is a problem, I find the soft product (food, service, etc...) to be pretty consistent and above average. They're certainly better than any North American airline I've flown and better than most European airlines.

The fact I get lounge access with TG does help shift my bias in their favour though I must admit! :D

This year my wife and I have a continuous stream of Australian, Canadian and British friends and family coming through our flat on the way to the beaches and up north. All have loved their time in Thailand (and Bangkok) and many have commented on how it's the best place they've visited.

Perhaps (I know - shocking idea!) this poll is accurate and reflects the true sentiment of tourists visiting Thailand? It would also explain all those 747s departing BKK to Scandinavia every night.

If nothing else, can we at least appreciate that this may bring more tall, attractive Scandinavian beauties to Thailand?

Glad you have enjoyed your first year here. Talk to you again in 5 :lol:

Fair enuff mate ! But they are only here for a couple of "starry eyed" weeks. Did you tell them about the Jet Ski Scams, the "Rip off" taxi's with broken meters ? The two tier pricing and just about everything else designed to extract their cash asap. :ph34r: However i have no complaints with Thai Air, but then i only use them, so except for one trip last year with Air NZ, where we were informed that "the drinks trolley will be shortly coming around, but only one drink per person" :huh: I ordered 2 x rum & cokes, one for me and one for the 3 yr old in the next seat and got it :lol: also seats were closer than Thai Air. Apart from that i cannot compare Thai Air with the others.

Edited by oldsailor35

<br><br>

AFGHANISTAN ! at least you know how you stand.:D

<br><br>

Are you being sacastic ?? or do you believe your comments are valid. Press have no credibility-- you believe Thailand is the best ?? tell us what is second best ?? Jet sea scams in france england ---Look at the tourist figures for other top countries--put off with the visa regulations ?? No freedom of the press anywhere else ???? So again the poster is narrowminded and/or naive. We have one or two other arrogant posters who talk like this, then they post B/s#t -people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones

Yes, and wot about all the broken meters in Londons taxis :whistling:

Fair enuff mate ! But they are only here for a couple of "starry eyed" weeks. Did you tell them about the Jet Ski Scams, the "Rip off" taxi's with broken meters ? The two tier pricing and just about everything else designed to extract their cash asap. :ph34r: However i have no complaints with Thai Air, but then i only use them, so except for one trip last year with Air NZ, where we were informed that "the drinks trolley will be shortly coming around, but only one drink per person" :huh: I ordered 2 x rum & cokes, one for me and one for the 3 yr old in the next seat and got it :lol: also seats were closer than Thai Air.

One drink? Harsh. From my experience, TG usually try and get as many people drunk as possible so they fall asleep! I'm not complaining.

I warn my friends/family of the obvious scams here but that compared to most places in the world it's pretty safe. I've been scammed on a number of my travels (including when I was living in England!) but yet to be here. But then I try and avoid taxis, never take tuk tuks and don't sleep with prostitutes. I have never ridden a jet ski and don't have much desire to. I imagine that all helps.

Tourism is about a short term experience which is why this survey makes a lot of sense and shouldn't shock the complainers so much.

I'm flying BKK-Australia on them tomorrow night and have flown them over 100 times in the past three years. While their inconsistent hard product (lack of AVOD on most European flights for instance) is a problem, I find the soft product (food, service, etc...) to be pretty consistent and above average. They're certainly better than any North American airline I've flown and better than most European airlines.

The fact I get lounge access with TG does help shift my bias in their favour though I must admit! :D

As your leaving tomorrow, can I stay a few more weeks - I promise not to annoy you till you leave. :rolleyes:

Being the city of Bangkok rates in the world's top 10 as having the most international visitors I can see why Swede's have this view given it is a cheap place to go outside of Europe that provides warmth and beaches ... not to mention some possible influences by the Thai Tourism Authority in Sweden.

Being the city of Bangkok rates in the world's top 10 as having the most international visitors I can see why Swede's have this view given it is a cheap place to go outside of Europe that provides warmth and beaches ... not to mention some possible influences by the Thai Tourism Authority in Sweden.

If you have to live in Sweden , then you probably do think that Thailand is a fantastic place to go for a holiday. Why is that so difficult to believe for some people? Let the Swedes on this forum tell us more, please.

<br><br>

A best tourist country would not allow two of it's most popular tourists beaches Phuket and Pattaya to be run by mafia thugs , for people to be assaulted , and robbed daily , with no support or very little from police and I don't just rely on press reports I i have seen it dozens of times with my own eyes.

And as far as ranking different countries I wont get into that without personal experience but I am sure that other countries with less corruption would have to rank better.

As Europe is rapidly burning itself out. I can uderstand Thailand being very popular. I came here as a toutist, liked it so much, I came to live here. Sure it has it's down side, as does everywhere. All said, tourists are only looking to enjoy their holiday.

jb1

<br><br>

A best tourist country would not allow two of it's most popular tourists beaches Phuket and Pattaya to be run by mafia thugs , for people to be assaulted , and robbed daily , with no support or very little from police and I don't just rely on press reports I i have seen it dozens of times with my own eyes.

And as far as ranking different countries I wont get into that without personal experience but I am sure that other countries with less corruption would have to rank better.

Puket & Pattaya, are mainly popular as sex tourist destinations.

jb1