Thailand ‘Best Tourist Country’ For 9th Consecutive Year In Sweden’s Top Tourism Award

webfact

Thailand 'Best Tourist Country' For 9th Consecutive Year In Sweden's Top Tourism Award

Let's put this in perspective.

Although Sweden is a very nice country with nice people we should not forget that Sweden has a small population: 9 million. That's less than Bangkok has.

Sweden delivers, percentage wise per capita, a large number of tourists to Thailand (remember that many Swedes died during the tsunami with more casualties than any other European nation).

I have a few Swedish friends who visit Thailand on a returning and regular basis, multiple times/year.

But, the headline suggests that it's world touristic news; it probably is for TAT but it's time to move on :rolleyes:

I disagree in terms of the Headline being misleading. Certainly they could have put the word 'Sweden's" first but the headline is still accurate (for those who can accept it as being truthful). However, I am willing to accept it "may" have been worded in a way to sound more grander (while maintaining its accuracy) as long as you can accept that this would not be out of line wording even in another country given national pride and as you mentioned the Tourism Authority which is were a press release, given to the news outlets, like this usually originates in any country.

Given your reminding us of the population of Sweden combined with number of Swedes having the most casualties during the Tsunami it adds a great deal of credibility to this article for those who doubt this story's credibility.

I didn't and don't doubt for a minute that Thailand is on top with this Award and that it was actually chosen as such by the ones responsible.

I have no problem with it also but we have to take into consideration that from the total outbound Swedish tourists only a minor percentage goes to Thailand although the number of trips to Thailand (almost 300.000 in 2006) is impressive and it's also the first long-distance country after many other destinations, all of them European.

Finland is on top with 1.5 million an Spain with 950.000 is third whilst Thailand comes 10th. (page 35 of the PDF file* of 48 pages).

Most Swedes have never been to Thailand yet but the ones who have certainly would chose Thailand over any other European country (my personal view that is).

Another advantage for the Swedes is that they fly nonstop in 9-10 hours to BKK or Phuket and fly over Russia which makes the trip shorter than from other European cities who have to fly over mother Earth's belly.

* http://swedentourism...sweden-2007.pdf

LaoPo

Just to be clear .. I wasn't suggesting you didn't agree with the Award voting. In fact I believed you did. As I mentioned in another post " I don't think that Swedes visits Thailand more than other countries when it comes to shear number of visitors" but was at first a bit surprised you pointed out it came in 10th ... then again there is a lot of countries close to Sweden's border. Although I didn't think the headline hinted at it being anything more than a Swede poll, I now have to think some readers could believe it is the top destination for swedes. Without much thought I realized this was not the case given the number of countries around Sweden but even though they may be significantly closer it does take some sail out of the winds of the headline when you come down to the fact it is the 10th visited country by Swedes. But have read the story I realized that a similar finding in the US might be Hawaii being the best US destination by those on the East Coast who have largely visited Washington DC but not Hawaii .... not like buildings & museums can compete with a tropical island when people think vacation.

Thanks for the link. Having trouble downloading the PDF right now but am curious to see the other 9 and +10 countries. I also have 3 Swedes in my condo complex and am looking forward to surprising them on my newly gained Swedish Tourism knowledge. laugh.gif

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even bother to go to Thailand anymore. It used to be good. Now, It's just a bypass.

Interesting a new member who won;t even come to Thailand but has a negative opinion.

Reminds me of the back packer who figures he got ripped off Because he had to pay 30 Baht and a Thai only had to pay 25 Baht

"It used to be good".

I wonder what there was that is not there any more. In all likely hood there used to be a lot less tourists and the prices were a lot lower.:o

Yes, I am just a backpacker. I spent over 3,000 bhat per night only for hotel. Yes, I shopped for less expensive goods. I spent over 100,000 bhat only for shopping. Yes, I ate cheap foods too. I got ripped off several occasions in different year for paying over 12,000 bhat for 1 and 2 person meals. I know us, backpackers, are not welcome because we are cheap. You just point out the new slogan for Thailand -- 'no money, no honey'.

Thanks for the link. Having trouble downloading the PDF right now but am curious to see the other 9 and +10 countries. I also have 3 Swedes in my condo complex and am looking forward to surprising them on my newly gained Swedish Tourism knowledge. laugh.gif

From the link (2006):

Leisure trips:

Travel destinations 2006, number of trips abroad with overnight stays (in thousands)

1: Finland - 1,559

2: Denmark - 1,207

3: Spain - 948

4: Germany - 745

5: Norway - 729

6: UK - 500

7: Italy - 470

8: Greece - 466

9: France - 393

10: Thailand - 298

http://swedentourism...sweden-2007.pdf Page 36

LaoPo..................at your service

:guitar:

From the link (2006):

Leisure trips:

Travel destinations 2006, number of trips abroad with overnight stays (in thousands)

Did Finland get an award too? <_<

Thailand 'Best Tourist Country' For 9th Consecutive Year In Sweden's Top Tourism Award

Although Sweden is a very nice country with nice people we should not forget that Sweden has a small population: 9 million. That's less than Bangkok has.

Sweden delivers, percentage wise per capita, a large number of tourists to Thailand (remember that many Swedes died during the tsunami with more casualties than any other European nation).

I have a few Swedish friends who visit Thailand on a returning and regular basis, multiple times/year.

But, the headline suggests that it's world touristic news; it probably is for TAT but it's time to move on :rolleyes:

I disagree in terms of the Headline being misleading. Certainly they could have put the word 'Sweden's" first but the headline is still accurate (for those who can accept it as being truthful). However, I am willing to accept it "may" have been worded in a way to sound more grander (while maintaining its accuracy) as long as you can accept that this would not be out of line wording even in another country given national pride and as you mentioned the Tourism Authority which is were a press release, given to the news outlets, like this usually originates in any country.

Given your reminding us of the population of Sweden combined with number of Swedes having the most casualties during the Tsunami it adds a great deal of credibility to this article for those who doubt this story's credibility.

Amazing-we get a fair and decent comment from our experienced guy, and you go on the hard stance of defending Thailand. It WAS misleading, the reply was good, Your tone--"you are willing to accept" (judge and jury)

Did we both read the same article. The one I read was more about the wording of the Title. It had nothing to do with a hard line defense of Thailand

What was misleading. It said that a Sweedish group claimed Thailand to be the best Tourist Country. Why is that so hard to understand.

From the link (2006):

Leisure trips:

Did Finland get an award too? <_<

Yes: country-with-the-most-lakes-where-the-Swedes-go-to award

LaoPo

If Thailand was not such a nice tourist destination then there wouldn't be the number of expats who gave up all to move or claim to be trapped here.

You can fool some of the people all of the time ..................................................

You have to have lived here for some time to see beyond the veil. Think about the smile on the face of the tiger - and the dangers that lie behind it. 

Because some point out Thailand's shortcomings it would be wrong to infer that on balance they do not prefer to live here than in the land of their birth. 

Amazing-we get a fair and decent comment from our experienced guy, and you go on the hard stance of defending Thailand. It WAS misleading, the reply was good, Your tone--"you are willing to accept" (judge and jury)

Did we both read the same article. The one I read was more about the wording of the Title. It had nothing to do with a hard line defense of Thailand

What was misleading. It said that a Sweedish group claimed Thailand to be the best Tourist Country. Why is that so hard to understand.

That hard stance-remark--was directed at another poster--but the misleading thing was-it made big headlines, and made posters think like it was a world wide thing until it was read properly. under 10 mill people, cold country. but LaoP link is interesting--27th Feb 7-55....I didn't doubt the outcome, if the Swedes voted that--then good..as I said -look at most of the headlines we get (topics) they are seemed to put in certain ways to get big debate--some are not worth a light, numbers of posters on each topic tell us whats good

If Thailand was not such a nice tourist destination then there wouldn't be the number of expats who gave up all to move or claim to be trapped here.

You can fool some of the people all of the time ..................................................

You have to have lived here for some time to see beyond the veil. Think about the smile on the face of the tiger - and the dangers that lie behind it.

Because some point out Thailand's shortcomings it would be wrong to infer that on balance they do not prefer to live here than in the land of their birth.

Right to the point and true, difficult to explain to some, trying to get through is a problem when the mind is already made up.Sensible reply,

I have no problem with people pointing out Thailand's shortcomings.:)

What I do have a problem with is people doing it in such a way as to infer that Thailand has no good points. Have you ever noticed some of the people constantly pointing out the negative points in Thailand never have any thing good to say about it and are generally pushing a personal bias?:(

What I do have a problem with is people doing it in such a way as to infer that Thailand has no good points. Have you ever noticed some of the people constantly pointing out the negative points in Thailand never have any thing good to say about it and are generally pushing a personal bias?:(

Exactly! A number of people complain about everything from the people, the culture, religion, the politics, the air quality, the crime, the laws, the corruption, the roads, the bars, the violence, the drivers ....

One has to wonder why they are here and as one poster reasoned that people get "trapped" here after doing such things as selling their home to move here.

Thailand is not a first world nation and I think everyone who visits here understand that and should also realize that this country is still at stages and dealing with things their home country also once did.

It doesn't bother me that people make jokes or mention things that get on their nerves or even go on a rant if they had a bad day in Thailand but for some it seems almost every post is bitter towards this country and its people along with those who enjoy being or visiting here. I just don't understand that and think it is sad. I don't believe these people are trapped here as a poster claimed but simply are being negative and haven't learned from the Thai Culture to enjoy life and not let things you cannot control upset you to this degree. I believe these people do enjoy being here overall but for some reason only want to complain and do all they can to disbelieve anybody else could love Thailand or in this case have a country (Sweden) view it as the best country to go on holiday.

O.k. Could we please get some news to comment on that IS positive here.........................because most of the posts are asking us different, therefore you get replies that seem therefore bad (against Thailand) EXAMPLE.....police seem to be doing this or that........no helmets......red shirts...yellow shirts.....driving.......scams.....corruption issues...why are holidaymakers staying away.......licence/or none............immigration probs..........palm oil......and a host more....now what do expats and thai do about these issues --deny them????.....most tell of experiences... these topics fuel negative replies.......change some topics so as we can agree on them, some that are good thai news.

Exactly! A number of people complain about everything from the people, the culture, religion, the politics, the air quality, the crime, the laws, the corruption, the roads, the bars, the violence, the drivers ....

One has to wonder why they are here and as one poster reasoned that people get "trapped" here after doing such things as selling their home to move here.

Thailand is not a first world nation and I think everyone who visits here understand that and should also realize that this country is still at stages and dealing with things their home country also once did.

It doesn't bother me that people make jokes or mention things that get on their nerves or even go on a rant if they had a bad day in Thailand but for some it seems almost every post is bitter towards this country and its people along with those who enjoy being or visiting here. I just don't understand that and think it is sad. I don't believe these people are trapped here as a poster claimed but simply are being negative and haven't learned from the Thai Culture to enjoy life and not let things you cannot control upset you to this degree. I believe these people do enjoy being here overall but for some reason only want to complain and do all they can to disbelieve anybody else could love Thailand or in this case have a country (Sweden) view it as the best country to go on holiday.

If you look at these posters posting history, you soon find that most of them have nothing good or positive to say about anything.

Thailand is just one more thing to moan about and one more excuse to insult other members. :bah:

Edited by Ulysses G.

Nisa #73 is part answering #72 ---Am I alone on this suggestion ???? it IS important... That if news is more balanced we would get more positve replies----but a few will always bad mouth Thailand---BUT also a few are OVER THE TOP in not wanting to here anything bad about it. And that is fact also. these pro + posters inflame the ones who see some bad here.

Edited by ginjag

hmmm -- this is a positive news story but we still get the disbelievers and negative comments about Thailand ... simply look back at the post starting from the OP

You always will get the disbelievers, and negative comments. But as I said some of the threads tend to bring out these sorts of comments. I tried to put the point, so the reports vary more. On the other hand we do get the ones who will not believe the genuine grumbles.. thus a clash of the titans...................IS there a happy medium ???? ...Take a look at--TWEEPLE share their probs--new thread. ??

Edited by ginjag