Potential Rental Deposit Dispute

hi guys,

my apartment lease ends tommorrow and living in hope that I will get my deposit back.

The landlord will take a look round tommorrow for any issues and I foolishly mentioned that the varnish on the wooden chair seats has come off in some places. I thought it would be no big deal as it is a quick job with a touch up pencil or maybe a new lick of varnish. To which she replied that if she finds any problems she would 'have' to get new furniture as she wont have the time to refurbish. Which has me a bit worried to say the least.

I have always paid on time , have never caused any problems and as with most people really want all my deposit back. I am also leaving 4 days early but have paid till the beginning of the next month. So she is in the money and has had a month to get someone new in.

If it all turns nasty does anyone have any advice or guidance or Is there anyone I can call in to act as an intermediary.

Any help greatly appreciated.

R

Make sure the place is sparkly clean before the landlord arrives. Sure, your lease probably says "broom clean", but it really impresses landlords if the place is cleaner than when you arrived. I learned this in renting several apartments in the U.S. and found it true in Chiang Mai as I listened in on the phone conversation of the condo manager talking to our condo-owner during our move-out inspection. He was saying something about everything is really clean, even the drawers and no black mold in the bathroom. It really helps to be able to understand the Thai language in situations like this to realize the same tactic works here as well as in the U.S..

Make sure the place is sparkly clean before the landlord arrives. Sure, your lease probably says "broom clean", but it really impresses landlords if the place is cleaner than when you arrived. I learned this in renting several apartments in the U.S. and found it true in Chiang Mai as I listened in on the phone conversation of the condo manager talking to our condo-owner during our move-out inspection. He was saying something about everything is really clean, even the drawers and no black mold in the bathroom. It really helps to be able to understand the Thai language in situations like this to realize the same tactic works here as well as in the U.S..

I own quite few rooms and the advice given above is spot on. If your room is sparkly clean when I check it I will overlook many small problems. If however your room is a sh!thole and you clearly treated my property like sh!t I'll go after everything I can and then some for cleaning the mess up.

And before the whingers start I dont give a <deleted> what you think :bah:

If your landlord or landlady is Thai it's most likely the deposit was spent before you entered the front door for the very first time.

Your landlady will have all the excuses at the ready 'including threats' not to return your deposit simply because it's been spent.

Depending on the amount held my advice would be to go and speak to a solicitor and ask him to send them a letter to return the deposit forthwith or they will be reported to the tax department to check if they've paid tax on their rental income which stands at around 15%.

Ok. But what if there are damages, how does one know what is a fair amount? I am asking because I just became a landlord and took 3 months deposit as the unit has a lot of high end items. But I am now worried that I will not know how to charge for any damages that may occur.

I did put in the contract that "normal wear" is accepted. The OP should check to see if he has that in his contract, as some varnish coming off a chair would be quite common.

Does your own home not suffer normal wear?

I own quite few rooms and the advice given above is spot on. If your room is sparkly clean when I check it I will overlook many small problems. If however your room is a sh!thole and you clearly treated my property like sh!t I'll go after everything I can and then some for cleaning the mess up.

Myself, and I'm sure most people here don't give a <deleted>@k what you think either, so heres some advice travelman; keep on travelling :o

Like all dealings between humans, the outcome will depend on the nature of your landlord.

As for cleaning the place up before handing the unit back, I do not have this problem with my tenants as they all engage the service of my maid to clean the unit once or twice a week during the rental period, and the maid will report to me should some items need repairing (eg. pipe/faucet leaks) by me.

So the same maid will do a final cleaning upon the tenant moving out and then a joint inspection.

The last time I rented my place out through a supposedly reputable agent the place was trashed. 4 adults and 2 children were booked for the place and 9 adults and 2 children arrived. They put inside furniture outside in the rain and generally treated the place like a doss house. In the end the were asked to leave. We refunded them the remaining rent yet the agent wanted us to also refund the commission they had charged on top of the rent they gave us. They also agreed to block charge the customers credit card for any outstanding electric or damage. They have done but are refusing to pass it on to us.

And this is a Farang agent as well !

It sounds like you can kiss your deposit goodbye by the sound of it. Either that or get somebody in before to re do the varnish then she has nothing to complain about.

Good luck ;)

The last time I rented my place out through a supposedly reputable agent the place was trashed. 4 adults and 2 children were booked for the place and 9 adults and 2 children arrived. They put inside furniture outside in the rain and generally treated the place like a doss house. In the end the were asked to leave. We refunded them the remaining rent yet the agent wanted us to also refund the commission they had charged on top of the rent they gave us. They also agreed to block charge the customers credit card for any outstanding electric or damage. They have done but are refusing to pass it on to us.

And this is a Farang agent as well !

It sounds like you can kiss your deposit goodbye by the sound of it. Either that or get somebody in before to re do the varnish then she has nothing to complain about.

Good luck ;)

The unit owner should interview prospective tenants and find out more about their background before agreeing to lease out the place. Do not entrust this task to agents, as they only want to seal the deal and earn their commissions.

The 4 adults and 2 kids should already raise alarm bells - two families sharing a condo unit/house? If so, such tenants will not treat the place as home.

I knew one owner didn't have my 2 month deposit so I simply didn't pay rent for the last two months. Though "wrong" on so many levels, it is almost acceptable practice because at best, your deposit comes from the next tenant. Many landlords never even see your full deposit as they pay the agent a month as commission, they use one for advance rent and there is only one month's rent left from the 3 months (2+1) paid over.

I've even had a lease from a Thai owner where it actually states that the deposit of 2 months rent was to be used for "first and last". Thus, you didn't pay rent for month 1 and the last month of the tenancy and that was written up by her.

Myself, and I'm sure most people here don't give a <deleted>@k what you think either, so heres some advice travelman; keep on travelling :o

Yeah life's a bummer in business class aint it :violin:

hi guys,

sorry for my late reply been on the road.

in the end i did absolutley nothing to 'repair' the chair.i found out that the cleaning ladies would actually inspect my room , not the owner, so i set up a diversion. I filled a box full of bits and bobs like mama noodles , books , crayons and even a laundry basket and cooler. basically all the stuff i couldnt take with me. they spent all their time inspecting the goodies and took all of 60 seconds to take a look at the room.

I went down to the office and then got hit with a 2,500 baht maintenance charge that the owner pointed out was in the contract (written in thai of course ).

b*stards. they always get you some way or other.