Bang Wat Dam

Galong

I spoke with one of my Thai mates yesterday. He runs the show at Bang Wat Dam. He told me that there is only three to four month's worth of water in the reservoir right now.

There doesn't seem to me a master plan on supplying water to the ever-increasing number of people moving to Phuket. I hope I'm wrong, but the government doesn't seem to take this as seriously as they should.

What are we going to do without water?

I am already having to buy drinking water by the cube to keep my place flushing its toilets and the evaporation from the pool.. Lowered water pressure last month means it does not make it up my hill (I am at the 80m + mark)..

Currently 180 baht a cube (others deliver at 150 baht a cube but its brownish smelly water.. The water I get is claimed to be drinkable and crystal clear)..

Water infrastructure is a disaster waiting to happen.. Another reason I wouldnt buy here...

I am already having to buy drinking water by the cube to keep my place flushing its toilets and the evaporation from the pool.. Lowered water pressure last month means it does not make it up my hill (I am at the 80m + mark)..

Currently 180 baht a cube (others deliver at 150 baht a cube but its brownish smelly water.. The water I get is claimed to be drinkable and crystal clear)..

Water infrastructure is a disaster waiting to happen.. Another reason I wouldnt buy here...

I used to live on top of a hill in Phuket town. There was usually no water pressure. I had to buy water all the time, but especially during the dry season.

Of course, my neighbors at the bottom of the hill were constantly washing their cars and watering their lawns. :o

"Water infrastructure is a disaster waiting to happen.. Another reason I wouldnt buy here..."

Here, here brother (or sister) I'm looking into moving as soon as I find something near Phang Nga Town. That way I'll still be within striking distance of Phuket, but not have to deal with the traffic, noise, lack of water and traffic... oh, I mentioned that already. :D

I also live on a hill on southern Phuket. The well just ran dry so the landlord bought water for all three households. The only problem now is, he controls when it flows and I never know when I'll have water or for how long... :D

Was told recently of a land owner in the area pumping truckloads of water from his land daily and selling it elsewhere on the island. He is draining the community aquifier dry. :o

You guys are buying water at the height of the rainy season!

This is the driest rainy season I can remember, what's it going to be like next dry season?!!

Shades of Pattaya maybe?

Hey Sir Burr,

So you've got plenty of water down in the southern part of the island?

Man, there's so much construction going on in Phuket that I would expect all areas to be affected... if not now, soon.

BC

Still have water, but, I wouldn't call it "plenty".

Last dry season was the first time my bore became unusable. It didn't quite dry out, but, there was only 20 cm of water. Had to build a bigger storage tank and buy water for the first time. I would say the bore was out of action for a month or so.

Two months ago I had 3.7 mtrs in the bore. Now only have about 2 mtrs; this, at the height of the rainy season.

I think next year there will be a full-on water crisis. Just need to shut-down the golf courses.

The water truck issue is going to ruin it for everyone.. People buy water truck water at highly inflated prices which then drains the water table and makes the issue worse for 'normal' supplies..

This is the middle of the wet season and I am buying water.. I can see next year being a disaster.. The OrBorJor and the building offices are all pitching for thier tea money for every house thats built but theres no thought for infrastructure..

I looked into getting connected to the town water supply.

Not only did they want 40,000 baht connection fee, but, the town water was intermittent and at low pressure before my bore became unusable.

I think one of the reasons is that the rain is just not getting down to the water-table anymore. It hits concrete and runs off, eventually to end up in the sea.

There is no fore-thought by the authorities. They can only 'react' to crises when they happen. Next dry season, there will be the worst water shortage crisis in the island's history. Count on a few sub-committees being formed "to study the problem".

PS. When I did have to buy from a water-truck, I paid 100 Baht per cubic metre for crystal-clear water.

Edited by Sir Burr

from http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=143652

for Andaman News TV11 PHUKET FOR 3 ANDAMAN PROVINCES & FM90.5 Phuket 8.30am Friday 16 September 2005

Kamala District Administration layout immediate and long term plans to tackle water shortage issues.

Easing the local resident's water shortages, Charan Sararak, the president of Kamala District Administration said truckloads of water are sent out to supply water for people everyday. To tackle the water issue in the immediate period Mr Charan said the office has allocated a budget of 7 million baht to layout community water works using an old tine mine as a water source while the long term plan will need around 120 million baht.

from Andaman News TV11 PHUKET FOR 3 ANDAMAN PROVINCES & FM90.5 Phuket 8.30am Thursday 15 September 2005 & http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=143492

The artificial rain stimulation in Phuket is still not successful enough

The artificial rain stimulation, aiming to add more rainfall to ease the water shortage situation for Phuket, still needs more luck as the operation is now facing strong wind conditions making it impossible for the team to fly up for operations. Phuket Vice Governor Supachai Yuwaboon and Chief of Agriculture and Cooperatives Thanasanee Sawasdirak, on Tuesday visited the unit which is stationed at the Phuket International Airport to learn of their obstacle factors. The artificial rain making unit started its operation in August with 43 flights already made, but they have managed to add only 81,627 cubics metres of water into the Bangwad reservoir, the only main water source on the island. The team will stay on until they can fill up the water source, however. Meanwhile Mrs. Thanasanee pointed out that she had already reported to the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives for further resolutions, that the reservoir now has only 400,000 cubic metres of water.

[quoteRaining now and yesterday...much needed but will need a lot more......saw a thai man yesterday use a hose to wsh his bike for about half an hour and people at hotel i am at water shrubs this morning after heavy rainfall last night.......probaly not helping!!!!

From Andaman News TV11 PHUKET FOR 3 ANDAMAN PROVINCES & FM90.5 Phuket 8.30am Monday 19 September 2005

& http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=143988

The Deputy Minister of Interior Somchai Suntornwat and high ranking officials from the country's waterworks authorities, visited water sources in Phuket, both state reservoirs and private old tin mines to inspect the water situation on the island. The Deputy Minister also discussed measures to comprehensively tackle the water shortage issue.

This includes Bangwad reservoir and Bang Naew Dam water source. The Bangwad reservoir is currently carrying only 450,000 cubic metres which is enough for 45 days.

Mr Somchai emphasized that a comprehensive plan for water works systems in Phuket is needed. It should be divided into 3 phases: short term by purchasing water from private tin mines; intermediate by applying RO system, a salty water conversion system, focusing on tourist areas, with a private company already proposed; while the long term plan will be to draw water from Surat Thani's Ratchaprapa Dam; with an initial finding indicating that it will need a budget of around 3-4 billion baht!