Buriram Flying Club

Diablo Bob

I am working on plotting all the ultralight airfields in Thailand into Google Earth.

The information I have on the Buriram Flying Club gives coordinates of N14*54.6' E103*7.1' which when plotted doesn't match the aerial photo of the airfield.

Any help locating the field will be appreciated.

post-21996-0-19809100-1298724507_thumb.j

Those coordinates put in Louisiana.:lol:

OK after kicking a few of the marks out of the coordinates and educating my fingers it did come up on GE but its the Buriram Airport. Will Keep looking.:lol:

Gotlost

When you convert the coordinates to a decimal the Buriram Flying Club becomes N14.910000 E103.118333. Buriram Airport is N15.227700 E103.251443

Thanks for the help.

OK after kicking a few of the marks out of the coordinates and educating my fingers it did come up on GE but its the Buriram Airport. Will Keep looking.:lol:

Gotlost

When you convert the coordinates to a decimal the Buriram Flying Club becomes N14.910000 E103.118333. Buriram Airport is N15.227700 E103.251443

Thanks for the help.

Popped the coordinate into GE and yes they came up. The only problem is the resolution is not good as they have not upgraded. It looks like about 5KM south of 224 and the closes road is about 2 Km away. It is in a rice field on top of a wash.

Gotlost

Thanks for the help.

Popped the coordinate into GE and yes they came up. The only problem is the resolution is not good as they have not upgraded. It looks like about 5KM south of 224 and the closes road is about 2 Km away. It is in a rice field on top of a wash.

Unfortunately, the picture shows a 4 lane road parallel to the runway and a secondary paved road perpendicular to the threshold.

I'm curious, what are the rules about ultralights and personal aircraft in Thailand?

I have attached the rules for ultralights in Thailand.

You can import an aircraft into Thailand, tax free, unless that rule has changed in the last year or so.....

Go to the Pattaya Flying Club site for the procedures to register a foreign pilots license in Thailand. http://www.pattayaairpark.com/

Thai Regulations.pdf

I found this one talking about flying club in buriram.

http://www.buriramex...99.html#msg7199

good luck in your search.

Thanks Bangkok2008 for the information and you to Gotlost for the assistance. Inasmuch as I am doing this long distance, when I get back to Thailand, I will start making telephone calls.... I'll find the dam_n field. Another field giving me problems is in Chaiyapun, it plots in the middle of a small lake and the only chart is an Air America chart from the early 70s. The roads have changed designations and alignment in the last 40 years, I guess.

Here is ours in Chiang Mai for Ultralights. Chiang Mai Sky Adventure. 18 52 50 01 N 99 5 27 67 E and it does show on GE withe a short video.

Gotlost,you have me lost now :blink: I plug in your coordinates and I am in the mountains of Sumatra.

Will that's close.:lol: I'm trying to sort that out so try this. http://www.skyadventures.info/

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=18.881762,99.092216&spn=0.002776,0.003465&z=18

Edited by gotlost

Here you go.

post-566-0-41875100-1298815583_thumb.jpg

Thank you Tywais and Gotlost, I finally have Sky Adventures plotted. I will keep you updated on the Buriram Flying Club and Chaiyapun airfields.

Amazing what pops up when you least expect it..... I was running a flight plan on Google Earth and look what I found. Not positive, but it looks like the aircraft belly landed then came to a stop around 2500ft later (He was heading downhill). The aircract looks intact, I wonder if the pilots walked away with clean shorts?

Coordinates: N16.738539 E100.671903

post-21996-0-05217700-1299142732_thumb.j

Your question reminds me of the clever lyrics from a Thin Lizzy track

"There's going to be a jailbreak somewhere in this town"

Sorry, I'll go sit back in the corner of the room!

Hey DDt

Is that the jail near Dino's Bar & grill?

TBWG

Checking out the stats on http://www.thaiflyin...uriramclub.html with runway about 36 18 and looking for roads that meet that criteria, which are not many I came up with this 14.980845°, 103.116873° that appears the same as the airport photo. The pin and label are mine as it is an unmarked piece of land.

post-116788-0-09713300-1299511086_thumb.

This is looking south just as in the photo but looks to be deserted. Perhaps they have a new location. As the site is supposed to be 500 meters from Buriram town and comparing the photo to Google Earth I think this location is it.

Although looks deserted just happened to think that perhaps that is the result of old Sat. imagery.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Here you go.

post-566-0-41875100-1298815583_thumb.jpg

Thank you Tywais and Gotlost, I finally have Sky Adventures plotted. I will keep you updated on the Buriram Flying Club and Chaiyapun airfields.

Amazing what pops up when you least expect it..... I was running a flight plan on Google Earth and look what I found. Not positive, but it looks like the aircraft belly landed then came to a stop around 2500ft later (He was heading downhill). The aircract looks intact, I wonder if the pilots walked away with clean shorts?

Coordinates: N16.738539 E100.671903

I can see the scrap metal dealers jumping up and down rubbing their hands.:lol:

I can see the scrap metal dealers jumping up and down rubbing their hands.:lol:

If you squint your eyes you can see a white van with a mobile phone number on the doors, racing to the scene.

There is also someone in the 'flatbed' throwing out the tarmac and slate roof-tiles off the back. :lol:

Edited by Dave the Dude

post-116788-0-09713300-1299511086_thumb.

By the way the runway headings should be 35/17 with an altitude of approx. 200 meters.

Thank you BuckarooBanzai, it sure seems to match. Great location, can almost walk to the Irish Pub from there, wait, that's right, 8 Hours bottle to Throttle!