American Express

How accepted is a US issued Amex card? I'd like to take advantage of some 0% interest deals along with cash back offers.

I'm looking to purchase items such as motorcycles and possibly gold.

Anyone have any luck using an Amex card for large capital purchases such as these or anything else for large amounts?

Thanks

Keep in mind the stores are charged significantly more (2x +) to process an Amex Card as opposed to a Visa or MC. I've never used an Amex here but would definitely check into fees associated with using the card internationally.

eh? A Thai AMEX is pretty well accepted in Thailand, better than most places in the world. There is the odd place that either won't accept, or will want to add 2%, but it isn't the norm.

As for a US AMEX, well, I'd assume widespread acceptance. The only question is if you are going to get a good deal on the FOREX.

Larger department stores will accept American Express without adding on a service fee, but the smaller ones will add on a service fee. If the shops want to add on a service fee when I charge something large they either absorb it, or I walk away without purchasing it.

No idea about buying a Motorcycle using AMEX in Thailand but I guarantee you will never be able to buy Gold at any reputable Goldshop here using "The Card".

Thai Gold prices change 2 or 3 times a day following the International Spot prices - tempered by the difference in the purity of Thai Gold, plus the variance in US $ : Thai Baht Exchange Rate. In Thailand physical Gold transactions (i.e. where you actually receive a Gold Bar - forget about the paper transactions) are conducted in Cash only - or via Bank Draft.

As already mentioned AMEX is the most expensive Card for a Retailer to accept - charging 4 - 5% on the transaction, major Stores will eat that Charge but the majority of smaller Retailers will either refuse the Card completely or ask you to pay the additional expense. (And by the way most are also wise to the AMEX rules that if a Cardholder is asked to pay more for use of the Card then he, the Cardholder, should insist that the extra Charge is shown separately on the Charge Slip - and AMEX will then refuse to pay that extra Charge to the Retailer).

Patrick

Edit : Typo

Edited by p_brownstone

No idea about buying a Motorcycle using AMEX in Thailand but I guarantee you will never be able to buy Gold at any reputable Goldshop here using "The Card".

Thai Gold prices change 2 or 3 times a day following the International Spot prices - tempered by the difference in the purity of Thai Gold, plus the variance in US $ : Thai Baht Exchange Rate. In Thailand physical Gold transactions (i.e. where you actually receive a Gold Bar - forget about the paper transactions) are conducted in Cash only - or via Bank Draft.

As already mentioned AMEX is the most expensive Card for a Retailer to accept - charging 4 - 5% on the transaction, major Stores will eat that Charge but the majority of smaller Retailers will either refuse the Card completely or ask you to pay the additional expense. (And by the way most are also wise to the AMEX rules that if a Cardholder is asked to pay more for use of the Card then he, the Cardholder, should insist that the extra Charge is shown separately on the Charge Slip - and AMEX will then refuse to pay that extra Charge to the Retailer).

Patrick

Edit : Typo

You are right.

It is against Amex/MC/Visa merchant services agreement to charge more BUT there is nothing wrong with not giving a cash discount which may be what the store advertises.

And I doubt you are going to buy a new motorcycle or other expensive items with an AMEX card especially at any discount shop. The more an item costs the less mark-up in percentage they "usually" have. So while a 20+% mark-up may be common for less expensive goods a typical person may charge but when you get into many higher priced items the mark-up may be only 5+% and using Amex would eat up a good chunk of the store's profits.

Thanks for all the good information my suspicions have been confirmed.

Whats suspicions? I have had and used a Thai issued one for over 10 years now - only had one hotel in Pattaya give me a bull shit story about their processing machine being down when I went to use it.

Otherwise, no issues.

“Suspicions” was perhaps the wrong word for the Poster to use but frankly the AMEX Card in Bangkok is definitely not the Card to choose if you have any other choice.

I have a Thai AMEX Platinum Card (first issued in 1986 after many years as a Green then Gold Card Member).

It is happily accepted in all major Hotels and restaurants, Department Stores such as Central, Asia Book, Villa etc. etc. but outside those “Farang comfort zones” I very often find that I am asked to accept an additional Charge on top of the stated price – either that or as bkkjames reports I get the Thai face-saving excuse that “the machine is down” and I have to pay cash or use my Visa Card.

Patrick