Jomtien Versus Pattaya

BrassBob

Hi there - I am coming to Pattaya with my wife in October and staying in a private residence not far from the Ambassador Hotel. We are pretty familiar with Phuket, and prefer to be right in Patong - but this time we have decided to venture further afield. For those of you who know Patong, how does this compare to Jomtien? Or is the fun stuff right in Pattaya - and being a Jomtien is a bit more low key - or are we going to find the buzzy bars and stalls in Jomtien too?

From what I can determine on the maps, Jomtien is quite some distance from Pattaya proper - is that right? If so how far? And what cost in a taxi? Or do you have tuk-tuks here too? Cheers BrassBob

BBob,

Jomtien is 20 baht & usually 15 minutes away from Pattaya by Baht Bus, depending on traffic (i.e. weekends & holidays), but where you are staying is at least an additional 15 minutes beyond Jomtien, and you will need more than 1 bus to go back and forth between, or hire a taxi or driver. There's a ton of bars in Jomtien but don't be confused: Jomtien & Patong are not twin cities. Pattaya (especially Walking Street area) is much more crazed and wild... in the Patong style. Jomtien is much more laid-back (ala Kata...?) and has its own numerous charms and attractions, too. Good luck, Farang!

B)

I have been to Phuket and stayed in Patong quite a few times over the years and I can assure you that Jomptien is far more sophisticated and more fairly priced than the former. There are lots of bars and restaurants on Jomptien Beach Road and in the side streets off it. It will probably take you 20 minutes to half an hour to get there from The Ambassador Hotel depending on the traffic and a further half hour to get to Pattaya. You'll proably do Walking Street one evening just to say you've been there but after that, you might just as well stay in Jomptien. It's far less manic.

If you are going to be near The Ambassador you will be on Sukumvit and will be fighting with all the Russians for Songtow's into Pattaya proper

As Michaelaway stated you will have to take two ( White and Blue. Ambassador to Pattaya Tai (Big C)) and another one (Blue) into town on Pattay Tai (20THB + 10 THB each pax)

OR

Pay 150 + baht and rent one of the White and Blue Songtow's you will see parked in front of The Ambassador

Thanks to all the good advice. I had no idea I was 'that" far out from Pattaya - sounds like going in and out to Pattaya is going to be a costly and time consuming affair. But then again - you have to experience what life throws at you, otherwise why bother.

Thanks to all the good advice. I had no idea I was 'that" far out from Pattaya - sounds like going in and out to Pattaya is going to be a costly and time consuming affair. But then again - you have to experience what life throws at you, otherwise why bother.

You'll be on a reasonable beach with better bar/restaurant facilities at the back unlike Pattaya and Jomtien but it is a long way from the action. A motorbike rental would certainly help if you don't mind risking life and limb but the main road to Pattaya (Sukhumvit) is no picnic at night.

The correct fare from (south) Pattaya to Jomtien is 10B pp, not 20B.

Given that you cant even get from the Ambassador to Jomtien by shared baht-bus unless you go right in to BigC then all the way down to Pattaya Beach Rd, as mentioned, and then take the regular baht-bus back to Jomtien (which will add another 10B to the trip each way), there's not much point even thinking about going to Jomtien from the Ambassador unless you want to do it privately. Silly really as it's no distance at all if you cut down to Jomtien Beach Rd at Na-Jomtien. No traffic either.

And I wouldnt want to queue with those Russians either. :angry: