Suggestions For A "Fun-Bike" 250Cc And Up For Pattaya - Not More Than 100K Baht

vel_tins

I am really undecided what Bike to buy, in the price-range up to 100K Bt.

Should have 250 cc or more.

I am looking for a bike with a "little bit" more Power than the Phantom and similar Bikes.

I tried the Lifan 250 cc chopper, but to small for my legs.

I am near 190 cm, so a decent seat position is necessary.

Maybe a naked Bike in the 500 cc Range? Or Honda Steed/shadow? Or a"Maxi Scooter"

But Bike shouldn't be too big or uncomfortable to go short ways (7/11) etc.

But as i see, it seems to be hard to find a bike, which fits my needs.

Any suggestions are welcome. Or if sombody wants to sell his bike, PM me...

Thanks in advance

Edited by vel_tins

If it's just going to be a "fun bike" where you don't need to ride everyday and are not relying on for daily transportation...I would go for a second hand, older 400cc sportbike for that price. Like CBR400 or VFR400. They are regularly found less than 100k baht. Just make sure the book is legitimate. Being so old, they're going to break down. But mechanics are cheap in Thailand, and if it is just a "fun bike" you're not going to run it every day anyways.

....Being so old, they're going to break down. But mechanics are cheap in Thailand, and if it is just a "fun bike" you're not going to run it every day anyways.

The age of the Bike is not so important, because i am able to fix most things by myself (i had an engine repair company in Europe in my "former life") ;)

And I have also some contacts in Europe, which could provide me with some spare parts, if eventually not available in Thailand.

Well, in the meantime, I saw some relative inexpensive Honda CB 750's.

Price is from 80-100K depending on the age of the bike. (1990-1995 all come with green Book) Is that ok?

....Being so old, they're going to break down. But mechanics are cheap in Thailand, and if it is just a "fun bike" you're not going to run it every day anyways.

The age of the Bike is not so important, because i am able to fix most things by myself (i had an engine repair company in Europe in my "former life") ;)

And I have also some contacts in Europe, which could provide me with some spare parts, if eventually not available in Thailand.

Price is from 80-100K depending on the age of the bike. (1990-1995 all come with green Book) Is that ok?

seems like a fair price to me IF they come with legitimate green book. I like sportbikes myself, but to each their own. I would be happy with one in LOS

Do you know HOW to confirm the green book? Only sure way I've heard is to go with seller to Land Transportation and confirm book and bike before paying - but others here will know better. Bikes of age may well have been brought in as parts, not properly taxed, and been running around with questionable docs since. If there is a risk, there should be a commensurately lower price. Some have lost a bike over bad paper.

Just make sure the green book is 100% legit and not transferred from a previously crashed bike. When I bought my gsxr I paid a contact at the LTD to check the book (page 18 etc.) for me - cost a few hundred baht but provided peace of mind and when it came to transferring the plate from Chiang Mai to Bangkok it sailed through the inspections so it was money well spent.

You can get a nice VFR400 with a clean book for under 100k but it might take a while. Lovely bikes (but a bit old) and most decent big bike mechanics here will know them well and have contacts for spares etc. They sound awesome and look good with updated (Tyga?) fairings. I'd buy a rough bike with a clean book before I bought a clean bike with a fake book. Mechanics and spares are cheap but dealing with the LTD and the police is anything but. And it will only get worse.

Second hand Ninja's are around the 100k mark, or you can get a new CBR250 for a few thousand more depending on which dealer you go to but if you after a bit more power and this isn't you daily ride then I'd get a CBR400/VFR400 if I was you.

The Honda dealer in CM was selling refurbished Steeds for around 150K+ near the end of last year, around the same time they released the new CBR150, saw some when I placed an order for my CBR150, they all went missing from the display room the next month I came back to get my order.

That lumber bike is awesome!

Anyways, you might try a used D-Tracker 250.

It can be a taller bike.

With a single cylinder it is very skinny and nimble so it can cut through traffic better than any inline 4 cylinder bike.

I cut my handlebars to 23" so its almost as narrow as my scooter but Pattaya traffic isn't as bad as BKK where I am, but the option is there.

Seat is not comfortable at all but for short trips, tolerable.

As a locally built and legal bike, parts are readily available and cheap.

I bought my 2009 for around 100K, great bargain.

I run it around Bangkok Racing Circuit for fun and I don't get stuck in traffic getting there.

Of course a Ninja250 and CBR250 are great options too, but will feel far more cramped than a DTX250.

I'd be wary of an older bike unless it has good service documentation.

My very first bike was a garaged 1979 Kawi Z1000 for a cheap $750.

I had to drop another $1200USD getting it up to running shape just to have it break down on the side of the road.

I donated it to the piece of land it broke down on and bought a new CBR600 after that.

$2500 wasted to ride 1 week.

Hopefully you'll be luckier if you go the used green book route.

Edited by ttakata