Looking For Cheap Accommodation

jackers

Hi all, I'm going to be in chiang mai next week and I am looking for some cheap accommodation.

My requirements:

1. reliable internet connection
  2. TV (a option to add cable would be a plus)
  3. A desk for my pc
  4. Fan
  5. A window
  6. Not to much noise

One room/studio is fine, I'm ideally looking to pay between 2000-3000B a month (I could stretch to 3500). I don't need AC, or hot water or fridge I've checked the classifieds on this forums, the search didn't turn up much but there were a few results that looked promising.

I also looked at the following sites

http://chiangmai.thaiapartments.net/index.php?os=0&lan=en

http://en.cm-teepak.com/index.php

Buddy place looks good

http://en.cm-teepak.com/overview.php?baseID=AM100048

Choktawee residence & mansion - Serviced apartment also seems good

http://chiangmai.thaiapartments.net/index.php?os=apartment&apartmentid=102&lan=en&fromos=2&ord=1&search_monthlyrent=0-2500

Any other recommendations?

Buddy looks good on paper, not at all convinced about the reliability of the internet connection though, at that kind of price.

Wi-Fi solutions are often sketchy, beware of worms and viruses and do not assume that the people who manage the router actually know what they are doing, nor that the other clients using the Wi-Fi have adequate virus protection.

Unless you live half way up the mountain, you will need aircon. Also likely that at that budget, fresh air ventilation will be minimal and noise maximal. Have a look up Suthep Road where the students are.

Buddy looks good on paper, not at all convinced about the reliability of the internet connection though, at that kind of price.

Wi-Fi solutions are often sketchy, beware of worms and viruses and do not assume that the people who manage the router actually know what they are doing, nor that the other clients using the Wi-Fi have adequate virus protection.

So what kind of price would guarantee me a good internet connection?

Buddy looks good on paper.

Advertisement is 2008.

Prices will be more now..

I was thinking that, in fact many of the advertisements from that site come from years back, but the site claims that they always update. I think I'll send buddy place an email to confirm their prices.

Think location also, some of those places are in the middle of nowhere. You will need your own transportation.

I've got no idea where some of those places are but I am prepared to walk an hour or so to get to where I want to go.

"I don't need AC, or hot water or fridge..."

No offense intended, but have you been to Chiang Mai in March or April??

No never, this will be my first time in Chiang Mai and Thailand but if I can survive Delhi in august without AC, or hot water or fridge and several months in summer in philippines without AC and hot water, I'm confident I can handle it in Chiang mai.

Having a good internet connection is the most important thing to me, I've been using a internet cafe for the last couple of months and I don't like that much.

Unless you live half way up the mountain, you will need aircon. Also likely that at that budget, fresh air ventilation will be minimal and noise maximal. Have a look up Suthep Road where the students are.

Looks like I will just have to wait until I arrive in Chiang Mai before I can really make any clear decision about where I'm going to live. Research only takes you so far.

I recently stayed at k&k House in chiang mai, its near the center near some big markets and many food places. They have different rooms and different rates. Internet is free only they charge for water and electric but if you stay and not use the aircon your bill will be very low as it was for me. The rooms that are located in the back the sun almost not come in to the windows so it stays vy cool. They have a website, www.kk1house.com and their email adress is //removed//. You can find many photos and information, location on their website. It was a very nice stay there for me and they picked me, very nice people who willing to help with all your needs. Feel free to ask them all your questions they will help you anyway if you stay there or not. I stayed there allmost 2 months and saw them help many people with finding the best way to do anything they wanted.

Greetings Erik

Edited by Tywais
e-mail removed as per forum rules

There is no guarantee to have a good internet connection no matter what your budget is. There are apartments in Bangkok charging 2000 US$ a month with poor wi-fi. In every apartment or hotel I've been in Thailand, there has always been issues with the internet connection.

If you like walking, I would recommand getting a place on Huai Kaeo Road. I'm pretty much sure you would need your own transportation if you live at the Choktawee residence (next to a highway), and then the walk on Charoen Muang is not exactly pleasant.

Doubling your budget would make all the difference in the world.

Hauey Kaew Residence not too far from Central Department store aren't too bad. They cost about 3,500-4,000 baht a month. Just a small room though.

You won't find much for less than that. You might survive with just a fan but as others have said in those lower rent apartment buildings there isn't much air so having the airconditioner does help a little. Not just for heat but for ventilation.

You can find cheap places for 2000 but they won't have internet and will have some unpleasantness like stains, bad aromas, etc.

There is another large residence apartment building near Holiday Inn called Riverside apartments. They aren't too expensive either and look rather good. Not a bad location either as you don't have to put up with all the college students and their noise.

Hauey Kaew Residence was on my shortlist but searching through these forums I see they've had some bad reviews, which put me off.k&k House looks very good, good location and even offer free transportation from the airport. That gets my vote at the moment.

avoid the electricity ripoffs (Huay Kaew Residence charges 7 THB per unit). I like www.newmitrapap.com fan room for 230, with free wi-fi and daily maid. pretty good location.

Free morning toast and coffee/milo thrown in.... :lol:

I also know an apartment for 800 baht a month but you might be sleeping with cockroaches or as one guy found out snakes and he didn't go back in his room for a month .

or if you were out the country you could use the room for storage like i know one guy did.

avoid the electricity ripoffs (Huay Kaew Residence charges 7 THB per unit). I like www.newmitrapap.com fan room for 230, with free wi-fi and daily maid. pretty good location.

Free morning toast and coffee/milo thrown in.... :lol:

would like to see them use wheat bread. There is a Tesco Express about 50 m from the entrance.

No never, this will be my first time in Chiang Mai and Thailand but if I can survive Delhi in august without AC, or hot water or fridge and several months in summer in philippines without AC and hot water, I'm confident I can handle it in Chiang mai.

Between late March-May, CM can be worse than all of them my friend. It can be stifling with the temp alone, but throw in high humidity together with a huge amount of pollution, and you wouldn't want to just have a window. Most places should come with a/c as standard anyway, so simply don't turn the thing on when you don't want to. Those without will typically be in a tatty area with folk you don't want to be mixing with.

Between late March-May, CM can be worse than all of them my friend. It can be stifling with the temp alone, but throw in high humidity together with a huge amount of pollution, and you wouldn't want to just have a window. Most places should come with a/c as standard anyway, so simply don't turn the thing on when you don't want to. Those without will typically be in a tatty area with folk you don't want to be mixing with.

The heat I can handle but humidity I don't like, never the less I still think a electric fan should be adequate. The stories I'm hearing about the pollution really bother me because it sounds even worse than London. I hope I'm making the right decision to go there.

have you looked at huaw kaew palace they also throw in a breakfast it's about 5500 baht for one month.

No, it's out of my price range. I must come across as a terrible cheapskate but I am just trying to budget effectively as that gives me more options with my travel plans.

have you looked at huaw kaew palace they also throw in a breakfast it's about 5500 baht for one month.

No, it's out of my price range. I must come across as a terrible cheapskate but I am just trying to budget effectively as that gives me more options with my travel plans.

We had to stay in CM for some medical and we ended up at Bossatel across from the railway. I think it was about 3500 but it did have internet, tv, it also has a pool and a.c. You might check there.

I also know an apartment for 800 baht a month but you might be sleeping with cockroaches or as one guy found out snakes and he didn't go back in his room for a month .

or if you were out the country you could use the room for storage like i know one guy did.

How about a Temple :rolleyes: I think they are for free.

I recently also stayed at K&K House its really a good guest house. Actually on of the best and cleanest I stayed already. Price / quality very good and the owners are very polite. They helped me about everything I asked. They also have a coffeeshop, restaurant and live sport show at the restaurant. Prices very low for a touristic area. You can call them for free on skype and ask more information. But dont wait to long they just started and when I stayed there they were full all the time. I think that means they very good.

Greetings Hendrik

<a href="http://www.kk1house.com">guest house restaurant cheap clean rooms chiang mai</a>

We had to stay in CM for some medical and we ended up at Bossatel across from the railway. I think it was about 3500 but it did have internet, tv, it also has a pool and a.c. You might check there.

Sounds good, I'll put it on my shortlist.

At K&K House you can find all of that you required for 4000 THB.

I gave them a call today, the rates I was told is 4500 a month for a small room, 5500 for a big room. I've heard a lot of things about this place, so I'll go there tomorrow and give it a shot