Thai Airways Enforce Waistline Rules On Their Flight Attendants

webfact

A number of airlines do require very large people to buy an extra seat and this seems like a fair solution.

Sorry but I guess thats BS, How would they do that? I never been asked for my weight when I booked a flight online and never heard someone is asked in a ticket office.

Can you name some Airlines please?

I will give you five that I know of .... Continental, American, Delta, United, Air France

How do they operate this fat-so system...picture it--travel agent London---1 ticket to Thai--reply yes--money please. on line purchace-credit card--thanks.

Now at the check in counter--good afternoon FATTY-another 1000 English pounds please, or you cannot board. you need to purchace another ticket......:lol: ..........If therefore you are 2 and a half met/tall-but slim. ...and weigh more than a one metre Hippo. what happens in that case....:lol: . also if you have extra long legs you pay extra and they take the seat out in front of you :lol:

Minus the check-in counter agent calling the person "FATTY" .. yes they would make them pay additional if they wanted to fly just as if their luggage was overweight. Flight attendants also will discreetly advice a passenger if their size was not noticed at the counter. If there are no extra seats available on the flight they don't fly. If there is an empty adjacent seat then some airlines will offer it at a discount or free (i believe) while others simply require you pay for an additional seat. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend ... if a passenger cannot sit safely within a normal seat and its arm rests they need to occupy two seats.

Obviously if you have extra long legs and cannot fit in a standard seat then you would need to pay for a premium seat or be sure you get an exit row.

Edited by Nisa

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pity that airlines don't also apply similar 'standards' to the passengers ... Here's my radical take on the issue;

Ticket prices have a weight surcharge like luggage, People 550kg and over have to pay an excess weight charge, (due to the extra fuel cost) a 'holding pen' at the airport for drunks to sober up in, their ticket to another flight and sold to someone wanting that flight,. Finally, a 'De-lousing' unit for those with personal hygiene issues. Makes life a lot more pleasant for the staff too. For unruly passengers, wrist restraints built into the armrests.

If somebody weighs 550 Kilos and is still mobile and can get down the isle of an aircraft then I say give him an extra couple rows of seats just to make sure the plane stays balanced in flight. laugh.gif

Edited by Nisa

I agree with all. The US airlines attendants like a bit to be desired in many cases and for sure, nothing wrong with rules. They agreed to the rules when they went to work.

A perfect example of when NOT being PC is a very good thing!

I agree! The female flight attendants always look so good. If Thai is going to charge such high air fares compared to many competitors they can at least keep the hot FAs. Nothing wrong with standards, and a woman with a 32 waist is large even by US standards so its not like they are asking their ladies to stay ultra skinny..IWish the US airlines would do the same. The days of attractive and friendly FAs there are long gone.

A number of airlines do require very large people to buy an extra seat and this seems like a fair solution.

Sorry but I guess thats BS, How would they do that? I never been asked for my weight when I booked a flight online and never heard someone is asked in a ticket office.

Can you name some Airlines please?

Several American, as a start.

In my opinion, while i think the rule is extremely discriminatory it is ALSO very necessary.

Say male flight attendant with 40 or so inch would have real trouble getting through the isles not to mention with such waist line the stomach will go along to match.

There is also the food preparation area so if everyone is larger then "usual" they may have trouble to fit in.

I think there are some airlines now who charge "oversized" passengers double for 2 seats and give them 2 seats instead of one.

I know one of my ex employees years ago always had to pay for 2 seats or buy business class ticket, but he was 6.11 tall and around 200kg(Samoan)

Right, ask Kevin Smith about that one :lol:

I also agree that its a good thing, but I would go further and put weight restrictions on more things such as...restaurants, sky train, banks, malls, schools etc. If you are fat eat less, lose weight, get medical help or just go away. :)

The bad thing in the handling of Kevin Smith was that two-fold: he actually would pass their size-test that the conduct (if one can use the seat-belt without issue) and how the checkin-crew didn't say anything but one in the cabin-crew decided upon seeing him that he might be overweight and decided to be 'safe than sorry' and had him walk off the plane infront of everyone after already being seated, as there was no two seats next to each-other available (full flight)...refusing to listen to him pointing out that according to their own published guidelines he wasn't actually fat enough to be charged for two tickets. And then afterward having them being less than truthful in their press statement(!) about the ordeal probably made him less happy too...

That being said, if the rules are clear and applied as written there shouldn't be any complaints, than customers can pick other air-carriers to fly with.

Nisa # 127,........The check in counter person would never say that. It was used rudely as so many posters are sayin that. Drawing attention to the obese person/situation--and luggage weight. Very fat persons on aeroplanes also can be a hazard in emergency situes. especially if you are stuck in a window seat and they are next to you...then your trapped. I totally agree with this over and above charge--why not ??? classed as excess baggage

Edited by metisdead
Removed bold font.

It's a pity that airlines don't also apply similar 'standards' to the passengers ... Here's my radical take on the issue;

Ticket prices have a weight surcharge like luggage, People 550kg and over have to pay an excess weight charge, (due to the extra fuel cost) a 'holding pen' at the airport for drunks to sober up in, their ticket to another flight and sold to someone wanting that flight,. Finally, a 'De-lousing' unit for those with personal hygiene issues. Makes life a lot more pleasant for the staff too. For unruly passengers, wrist restraints built into the armrests.

If somebody weighs 550 Kilos and is still mobile and can get down the isle of an aircraft then I say give him an extra couple rows of seats just to make sure the plane stays balanced in flight. laugh.gif

better on the wing :lol: but then we would be in circling mode

How does this not break the constitution, other than maybe for safety reasons?

What constitution are you assuming will be broken if a private company has demands on their employees?

The Thai constituation. Discrimination for being overweight. Sort of goes against that whole "everyone" is equal.

How about stipulating their breast size?

Always fun seeing the Australian and US use of the word "fanny". :lol:

And it is always fun hearing Brits use the word c**t.

Never ever seen Aussies use the word "Fanny" i am sure its purely American for 'backside' Aussies use 'ass'

I might be the exception, but i actually expect flight attendants to be attractive, smiling ladies with good figures. Thats why i do not use QANTAS with its fat old 'chooks' .

Most of the time i use Thai Air and am very happy with them although i am considering using Air Asia for the first time, hope their girls are typically asian. B)

Personally I am for getting rid of all the flight attendants and simply having a physician and nurse on board. Instead of seats just small cots for people to lay down on. Instead of oxygen masks just have IVs with a sedative and nutrients. Airlines could stack more people in, do away with food and entertainment and us passengers could close our eyes on take off and open them after landing. In fact, take it a step further and knock my azz out at the check-in counter and let me wake up in a chair at baggage collection. cool.gif

Here are some approximate numbers to consider ... The take off weight of a large aircraft is around 1,000,000 Kilos. The fuel alone weighs about 400,000 Kilos. IF 400 passengers/crew were onboard all weighing an extra 20 kilos (45 pounds) this would add an additional 8,000 kilos or 8/10th of 1%.

So why is Lufthansa making such a big deal about their new "lighter" seats? Is it just marketing nonsense?

How does this not break the constitution, other than maybe for safety reasons?

What constitution are you assuming will be broken if a private company has demands on their employees?

The Thai constituation. Discrimination for being overweight. Sort of goes against that whole "everyone" is equal.

How about stipulating their breast size?

I am not sure if you are joking. The constitution defines the roles of the government, not the rules of a company's employment contract.

If you don't like the contract, work somewhere else.

What is the next step, everyone has to get a front-page cover on a fashion magazine, since everyone is equal?

Here are some approximate numbers to consider ... The take off weight of a large aircraft is around 1,000,000 Kilos. The fuel alone weighs about 400,000 Kilos. IF 400 passengers/crew were onboard all weighing an extra 20 kilos (45 pounds) this would add an additional 8,000 kilos or 8/10th of 1%.

So why is Lufthansa making such a big deal about their new "lighter" seats? Is it just marketing nonsense?

I would assume it is marketing nonsense unless you are saying (i haven't seen the ads) they have a marketing slogan something like this, "we are making our seats lighter to make more money while not charging you the same" wink.gif

But seriously, I am assuming they are claiming these seats to be more modern and comfortable as the average passenger could care less about the airlines profit unless it helps them with the ticket price.

In the end I bet the seats are smaller (backs thinner) and using new alloys and cushioning that also makes them lighter but in the end the goal was probably to put additional seats on a plane.

But no doubt weight plays an important matter and everything they can do to reduce weight especially in terms of actual plane weight (it all adds up) is going to help save fuel but my point was passenger's being overweight doesn't play a large part in fuel consumption considering the weight of the plane and fuel itself. I have no idea of the numbers and could be wrong on this but I believe most airliners make their real money on the cargo they transport and not passenger fees. If this is true then I would bet the cargo weighs considerably more than the passengers and their baggage.

I guess my point is that when an airplane lands with less fuel than it normally does on the same route ... nobody assumes it is because there were no fat passengers onboard. I would also bet the measurable difference between a half full flight and a full one is barely measurable but again this is just an assumption on my part and would be interested in hearing from anybody in the know on this.

When I was a Senior Flight Steward back in the days when aircraft had propellers and the airlines didn't resemble bus companies, it was part of my responsibilities to ensure that no child, lady or infirm person sat next to one of the knock out windows over the wings as these were potential escape routes in the event of emergencies.

I encountered only one Stewardess over the age of 30 years and she was still tasty enough to appeal to most. Very few of the girls were married and the majority resigned when they became a Missus. Not much point of yelling out "Where's me shirt" when her that does the ironing is in Athens or Helsinki is there?

On one aircraft type on which I regularly flew the doors were power operated as were the stairs down to terra firma. On other aircraft the door was opened manually, required no great effort to operate and the girls managed them without difficulty.

The initial medical on joining was very strict and lasted about two hours. One started fully clothed and ended up by being timed naked, standing on one foot with ones eyes closed. It was a test for travel sickness potential apparently. I am sure that any heavyweights would be weeded out at that stage.

I can confirm that bulky passengers had to purchase two seats and before loading passengers the flight dispatcher would pass me a seat belt extension so that the well upholstered one could be strapped in.

If I were liable to be mistaken for a barrage balloon and had to pay for two seats I would also expect to receive two luggage allowances.

When I was a Senior Flight Steward back in the days when aircraft had propellers and the airlines didn't resemble bus companies, it was part of my responsibilities to ensure that no child, lady or infirm person sat next to one of the knock out windows over the wings as these were potential escape routes in the event of emergencies.

At least some US Airlines still make sure you are capable/comfortable with opening and being responsible to open the emergency door if you are sitting in one of those isles. They also confirm you can speak English. I was on one flight and were they made a person move because they didn't speak English. I was happy to swap and take the extra leg room seats.

It is also like a court room when they ask if you can handle sitting there as they make you answer verbally and don't accept a simple nod of the head as an answer.

Edited by Nisa

This regulation apply on Thai airways in Thailand or other air crew in countries like Korea?

I recently saw a fat air stewardess from Thai airways Korean staff which is very friendly .

Want to know apply only Thais or other countries air staff in this airline?

This regulation apply on Thai airways in Thailand or other air crew in countries like Korea?

I recently saw a fat air stewardess from Thai airways Korean staff which is very friendly .

Want to know apply only Thais or other countries air staff in this airline?

I would think this only applies to Thai employees and they may make it across the board but each country has different employment laws that would need to be considered.

Meanwhile, the new regulations on body image have discriminated around 40 employees

There's that word, "discriminated". This is the beginning of the end for Thailand as once the PC crowd gets a foothold, it will all be downhill from there.

The irony is that Thailand is one of the most racist and discriminatory countries on the planet when it comes to employment criteria. All one has to do is to read the help-wanted adverts to get a taste of it.

These are not "Twiggy" dimensions as seen in the fashion industry, they are simply an approach to better health.

But you really don't believe this has anything to do with health of their employees do you?

Yes I do, as well as a healthy image for the company. Just as I want life guards on a beach to be in their best health, fit and trim, and the same goes for police on the beat too.

As I said, these are not "Twiggy" standards, they are simply putting the breaks on obesity and slack body condition. If you have a problem with it, don't fly Thai.

In America (my country) companies like to say they do not discriminate against gender, age, physical looks and... and ... when hiring. -But a good looking 25 year old will get a job over a aging 40 year old for a position -- not only because of age, but because the other person is cheaper to hire. Look at Fox News, do you ever see a member of their news team that is ugly and over 40??? Yet, this particular news (?) agency will accuse various companies or government organizations for discrimination (by the way, I am not a Fox fan.

I like the thai way of just saying what they really want for job qualifications than lying and acting like they are open to all applicants.

Absolutely! I have almost always been "the boss" when it comes to hiring. I have ALWAYS chosen my staff based upon what I thought I needed to make things work. While I would like to see more equal opportunity laws in Thailand I would chose the way it is now over a nanny state that makes an employer make unwise choices.

I also agree. Nobody is perfect and life is not fair. Honesty trumps hipocracy every time.

John

and to all the people typing on this thread get the tape measures out and if you are within the specified size please continue to add your comments - if not you are forthwith bannished from TV

if this sort of thing was the standard for employment in any job many of you fat foookers would never have been employed and the rest sacked at some stage

this is a serious load of crock

Edited by smedly

If this has to do with safety or movement on the plane then why is their a size difference between a female and a male?

Not sure if you have noticed lately Nisa but men are built a bit bigger than women. They would be flat out finding enough men with a 32" waist, and who would lift all that heavy luggage for the frail females?