Lakes Around Cm To Use A Boat

haveaniceday

That would work, but then you're out of Chiang Mai. ;)

(And out of 'around Chiang Mai' because Phayao doesn't share a border with Chiang Mai province. Only Lamhun, Lampang, Tak, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai do.)

(Phew. ;) )

But yes, lake Phayao might also work. Thanks. :)

True, but it is closer to CM center than Doi Tao.

That would work, but then you're out of Chiang Mai. ;)

(And out of 'around Chiang Mai' because Phayao doesn't share a border with Chiang Mai province. Only Lamhun, Lampang, Tak, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Rai do.)

(Phew. ;) )

But yes, lake Phayao might also work. Thanks. :)

True, but it is closer to CM center than Doi Tao.

No it isn't.. not when using roads it isn't anyway. Doi Tao is 129 kms, Lake Phayao is 149. (and a bit further when going actually to the town)

But anyway, if this is a seriously SMALL sailing boat and it's just for a bit of practise then there are smaller lakes nearby, such as Huay Manao lake.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

No it isn't.. not when using roads it isn't anyway. Doi Tao is 129 kms, Lake Phayao is 149. (and a bit further when going actually to the town)

You are correct. I must have been thinking about the last time I drove a car to Doi Tao - It seemed to take forever. When I go to Phayo, I am usually on a 1000cc sport bike, and it takes no time at all. :whistling:

While we're on the topic of small sailing boats, I've always had the idea to convert one of those blue plastic [polystyrine?] boats that you see in shops all over town into a small sailing boat with a few modifications. Advantages would be that they are indestructable, lightweight..........disadvantages would be in where and how would you put a keel or daggar board??

anyone else thought of this or done it??

While we're on the topic of small sailing boats, I've always had the idea to convert one of those blue plastic [polystyrine?] boats that you see in shops all over town into a small sailing boat with a few modifications. Advantages would be that they are indestructable, lightweight..........disadvantages would be in where and how would you put a keel or daggar board??

Are you sure they are light? They look like they weigh a ton. If making boats out of that kind of ice-cooler-plastic made sense then you'd see it used a lot more in boats? It seems a lot heavier than fiberglass / composite.

Are you sure they are light? They look like they weigh a ton. If making boats out of that kind of ice-cooler-plastic made sense then you'd see it used a lot more in boats? It seems a lot heavier than fiberglass / composite.

Now I know what they use all the recyclable plastic bags and bottles for.:lol:

Winds are a bit light for effective sailing, so human or motor power is the way to go. Boats can be found cheap, cheap; outboards are pricey.

Are the cheap boats here polystyrene or the more common polyethylene? For plastic boats are polyethylene and there easy to weld and modify. Using a heat gun and the PE welding rods (like a big hot glue stick), combined with epoxy, fiberglass, foam, wood etc; many modifications can, and have been done. Easy.

I was very interested to see this post since I have been thinking about putting up a similar one myself for sometime. I am a keen sailor just moved to Chiang Mai, and have been searching for some form of sailing activity here.

I recently went to the Mae Kuang Reservoir near Doi Saket, but there was no evidence of private recreational boats there, sailng or power, just the motor boats which take you on an excursion around the lake. At least this was so in the part where I went, namely next to the easternmost dam. I couldn't find the road to the western dam so I am unaware if there is any private boat activity there. Also I did not see any boat launching facilities by the eastern dam, just a very rough dirt road leading steeply down to the shore. You would need a powerfal vehicle to haul a boat on a trailer up and down here. I spoke to a guy at one of the restaurants at the top of this road and he indicated that private boats were not allowed to use the lake, even kayaks. So I would be very interested if poster "got lost" could please give more information about his/her post: "You have The Mae Kuang Dam at Doi Saket just off the 118 about 30 KM from CM. They have a boat launching ramp. Power boats , jet skies and sail boats". Please could you post the directions to this facility?

Mae Kuang is clearly the closest large lake to Chiang Mai and also a very beautiful one, so the opportunity to sail here would be great. The other lakes mentioned are much further away and I have only visited one of them (Phayao) so far, although I plan a trip to the others soon. The lake at Doi Tao seems to dry out by the end of the dry season, and is best in July to October. Does anyone have more information/experience about this lake in respect of private boat access? Is it easy to get a boat into the water, eg to launch a small sailing boat from a trailer? Are outboards allowed? The Mae Ngat Reservoir also looks very attractive. Does anyone have similar information/experience about boat access there?

I have visited Phayao lake and the promenade there on the town side is very picturesque, with several excellent fish restaurants, very similar in character to a small mediterranean resort about 50 years ago! But I could see no evidence of any private boats, except local fishing boats and ferry boats across to the small island in the lake just off the town. Also it looks very shallow with many outcrops of vegetation showing above to water. I also understand that power boats are not allowed on the lake - certainly the ferry boats were powered by a guy with an oar.

Simoncnx - I would also be very interested if someone were to start a sailing club here. Whilst the winds are often light, I noticed when on Mae Kuang lake that the breeze was stronger here than away from the lake, and certainly strong enough for some good sailing. Combined with an outboard engine, being able to use a boat here would open up some lovely lake cruising opportunities. And the lakes are certainly in very beautiful surroundings. I find it hard to believe that no one has thought of such an idea before. What about getting together on this? Maybe we could find enough people interested in a sailing club to get something going. Perhaps you could email me?

Anyone else interested in the idea?

All I can say is yes I have seen the road road and witness boats being put into the water while there were another 12 or so cars and truck s with trailer parked. I have seen speed boats and jet skis in operation along with skiers. Thais and Farang camp on the west side of the lake and there are no roads on that side there is only one way for them to get over there. BOAT.

Advantages would be that they are indestructable, lightweight..........disadvantages would be in where and how would you put a keel or daggar board??

To fit a 'daggar board', just stab the plastic rowing-boat, forcefully ? :o:D

:sorry:

There's a nice small lake (don't know if you can sail there), just behind Carrefour (soon-to-be Big-C) & the old crazy-golf place (that's not even a paintball-range anymore) :( ), "Bygone ChiangMai ... See it Now Before It Vanishes !" ! :unsure:

If you go out the 118 highway towards Doi Saket it is approximately 20 KM to the DS turn off, keep on the 118 and go approximately another 2.8 km. You will see what looks like an entrance both on your left (not used) and a sign for the lake (I thank) turn left, good road and drive parallel to the irrigation canal for approximately 4.7km to the park entrance. There is a guard shack which is maned,no problems go on GE and look at the reservoir its strictly for irrigation the boat ramp is next to the easternmost dam.

Edited by gotlost

I was very interested to see this post since I have been thinking about putting up a similar one myself for sometime. I am a keen sailor just moved to Chiang Mai, and have been searching for some form of sailing activity here.

I recently went to the Mae Kuang Reservoir near Doi Saket, but there was no evidence of private recreational boats there, sailng or power, just the motor boats which take you on an excursion around the lake. At least this was so in the part where I went, namely next to the easternmost dam. I couldn't find the road to the western dam so I am unaware if there is any private boat activity there. Also I did not see any boat launching facilities by the eastern dam, just a very rough dirt road leading steeply down to the shore. You would need a powerfal vehicle to haul a boat on a trailer up and down here. I spoke to a guy at one of the restaurants at the top of this road and he indicated that private boats were not allowed to use the lake, even kayaks. So I would be very interested if poster "got lost" could please give more information about his/her post: "You have The Mae Kuang Dam at Doi Saket just off the 118 about 30 KM from CM. They have a boat launching ramp. Power boats , jet skies and sail boats". Please could you post the directions to this facility?

Mae Kuang is clearly the closest large lake to Chiang Mai and also a very beautiful one, so the opportunity to sail here would be great. The other lakes mentioned are much further away and I have only visited one of them (Phayao) so far, although I plan a trip to the others soon. The lake at Doi Tao seems to dry out by the end of the dry season, and is best in July to October. Does anyone have more information/experience about this lake in respect of private boat access? Is it easy to get a boat into the water, eg to launch a small sailing boat from a trailer? Are outboards allowed? The Mae Ngat Reservoir also looks very attractive. Does anyone have similar information/experience about boat access there?

I have visited Phayao lake and the promenade there on the town side is very picturesque, with several excellent fish restaurants, very similar in character to a small mediterranean resort about 50 years ago! But I could see no evidence of any private boats, except local fishing boats and ferry boats across to the small island in the lake just off the town. Also it looks very shallow with many outcrops of vegetation showing above to water. I also understand that power boats are not allowed on the lake - certainly the ferry boats were powered by a guy with an oar.

Simoncnx - I would also be very interested if someone were to start a sailing club here. Whilst the winds are often light, I noticed when on Mae Kuang lake that the breeze was stronger here than away from the lake, and certainly strong enough for some good sailing. Combined with an outboard engine, being able to use a boat here would open up some lovely lake cruising opportunities. And the lakes are certainly in very beautiful surroundings. I find it hard to believe that no one has thought of such an idea before. What about getting together on this? Maybe we could find enough people interested in a sailing club to get something going. Perhaps you could email me?

Mae Kuang denies power boats access at the guard hut for portion of the year for conservation of the breeding Snakehead. To see just how many powerboats are used recreationally in Chiang Mai, be at the Mae Ngat boat launch on any given Sunday before and during sunrise.

Phayao is a very shallow lake and motors are banned year round, yet I have noticed more breezy evenings on the water than all the other time I've spent on the waters in the north. A Sunfish copy with a extra large Lateen, plus an electric motor found at most fishing stores, would be fun.

Mae Kuang denies power boats access at the guard hut for portion of the year for conservation of the breeding Snakehead. To see just how many powerboats are used recreationally in Chiang Mai, be at the Mae Ngat boat launch on any given Sunday before and during sunrise.

Phayao is a very shallow lake and motors are banned year round, yet I have noticed more breezy evenings on the water than all the other time I've spent on the waters in the north. A Sunfish copy with a extra large Lateen, plus an electric motor found at most fishing stores, would be fun.

Your explanation makes perfect sense fishenough. Kung reservoir has never been like the lakes for Memorial Day Holiday in the states but it does get used.

All I can say is yes I have seen the road road and witness boats being put into the water while there were another 12 or so cars and truck s with trailer parked. I have seen speed boats and jet skis in operation along with skiers. Thais and Farang camp on the west side of the lake and there are no roads on that side there is only one way for them to get over there. BOAT.

Thanks for the response