Qatar Airways

rocketmanbkk

Hi All

I am thinking of booking a flight, LHR - DOH - BKK return for three including a child.

Any comments/reviews?

From what i have read all seems to be good.

How about the Doha stopover, about 2/3 hours - is there much to do or eat? MaccD etc. or just sit around. I hear that the airport is clean and modern.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

They used to be the best, I did the same journey this month and found them no better than Etihad or even Emirates, I do not like the long bus transfers in Doha and the IFE selection is not all that good, I flew Business for 2 sectors and that was poor, no dramas though.

Very average considering the extra I paid over Etihad prices.

Have a good trip.

BTW Doha airport is not up too much , it is small with zero to do really, there is a burger place but not McD.New airport opening soon I believe.

Edited by ged

They are the best.

Wow! Who else do you fly with? RyanAir?

Qatar are on a par with most of the other middle eastern airlines. My Airbus from Doha to BKK had not been cleaned properly. Doha airport is an antiquated dump: all buses and motorised stairways. The food on Qatar was reasonable, apart from a really nasty breakfast wrap that I didnt even un-wrap. The menu was wrong. Drinks were decent but they didnt have a big choice of brands. The beer was barely cool. The tea and coffee were OK. The electronic in-flight entertainment was OK when it worked, which was not all of the time. The flight was full and the crew took forever to serve the meals. They looked pretty miserable and didnt do any smiling. The Heathrow leg was better.

Good points:

23kg standard allowance + 7kg carry-on. My luggage weighed over 42kg in total and no one said anything, apart from putting a "heavy" label on the main bag. Plus extra alllowance if you are in the FFP.

They do 1yr open returns on the cheap, which was my main reason for flying with them.

Good choice of departure times from London.

Do your check-in online for Heathrow and then walk straight past the huge queue of arabs and asians with their mountains of luggage and thousands of children. I'm sure all the people on my flight were queuing to go through just one desk. Or maybe they were there early for the next day's flight!

Ive flown them for years, granted I normally fly them first or business these days, but they have always looked after me when it comes to changing tickets and the like. In flight entertainment is pretty good, and flight times are good. Like I said I think only the Emirates A380 is better on the LON-BKK route at the moment.

Did London-Doha recently, found them to be just as good as always, that was in economy. My own opinion is that in economy at least, they offer a better standard of service than most other carriers on the route. The new terminal opened in December to make life easier, even that is only a stopgap until the new airport opens early next year, know some people working on that who reckon its going to be pretty much state of the art. Nothing is certain in this world and in my experience Singapore Airlines is the only airline to have consistently kept up standards over the years but I can't see Qatar airlines slipping too far down the ladder with the investment that is being put in.