Gillette Fusion

AlanL1275

The same quality I doubt - even UK/US major firms have never got it right when legally making non patented products in my experience.

a counterfeit doesn't need to concern itself with patent infringement. The lawsuit claims Gillette makes the blades for £0.05 each and they sell for £2.43 or a 4,700+% mark-up. Even if a shop spent 5 times more to make them and sold them at 1/2 the price they would be doing well.

What would be more interesting is finding out if their factory in China has a double exit. Then as for many other stuff, you would find the real stuff at low price in local market/shops.

From what I read the knock-offs are sh@t but this could largely be coming from Gillette to protect their profits and company. Keep in mind Gillette was also found guilty in the US for misleading and false advertising in promoting their new razors in terms of false claims about their new releases of high end razors. I personally am happy with their razors but find them incredibly expensive but I have not tried a cheaper brand forever beyond disposables if I am on the road.

Got one of the Gillette Proglide five blade Batt vibrator razors for chrissy in Canada...first off use I did a comparison with my disposable Gillette blue 2s from Tesco here in LOS...quite frankly I think it's all psychological bumph...(extensive pre Christmas advertising on Canadian TV.."for the man who has everything")......went back to my disposable soon as the blades got dull (Blue Twos last longer!!)... shame really...don't tell me mum....!!

Then again I think "Bacardi" is sh@t compared to "Hong Thong" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

believe it or not I actually contacted Gillette about the disappearance of their clear stick deodorant. after a couple weeks they responded saying that they have discontinued them due to low sales, so perhaps a perceived lack of market keeps the fusions and other products off the counters

Yeah, I'd say there's a definite market for some enterprising person to sell them on. I've been back in the UK for a few days and have been stocking up on them like crazy... maybe it is a psychological thing, there's problem some insidiously smart marketing behind the colour scheme and so on that's suckered me in. But it feels like they give a better shave... unsure.gif

• 2 weeks later...

As they are my favorite choice as well i bring them usually from home. They sell them in boxes max of 8 in germany. I buy usually once a year 5 of them and bring them to Thailand.

Never seen Fusion product line in any stores,.

Cheers,

Morpheus

• 1 year later...

You guys are so behind the times. You can order from the UK on the internet and pay about £5 postage and packing. No customs charges for orders less than 1000 baht.

Um ......so thats saving money paying 10 British pounds minimum price for 4 blades (often more) , with the 20% vat plus 50% extra for shipping? I 'm not behind the times , If I want to buy online I buy from the USA cheaper and less shipping

Edited by KKvampire

How about Boots or Watson? I "think" I once bought the Mach III blades at one these too.

But based on posts here I am guessing Jingthing is right in it being a corp decision. The expat. community is not that big and I bet neither is the high end razors in Thailand. So, maybe just offering 1 3-blade system is all they feel is warranted especially since most tourists will bring their own.

Been using the Mach 3 Turbo's for years. I would say that I have a semi-corse beard. I use the Aloe sensitive ones nowadays. Really good shave with them along with Nivea moisturising shaving foam.

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

Someone mentioned buying the Watson brand in another thread recently - but my check last week found them without any price marked on blades or shaver (not same handle as Fusion). I have used Ebay.UK for Fusion in the past but hate to pay that much for blades although may be worth it. Gave Shick 4 black a try as Lotus selling now but was like turning back the clock compaired with Fusion.

Someone mentioned buying the Watson brand in another thread recently - but my check last week found them without any price marked on blades or shaver (not same handle as Fusion). I have used Ebay.UK for Fusion in the past but hate to pay that much for blades although may be worth it. Gave Shick 4 black a try as Lotus selling now but was like turning back the clock compaired with Fusion.

Just like to know someone had first hand experience with the watson 5 and how was the shave quality

That may have been me. The Watsons' own brand 5 blade razor is the best wet shave that I have experienced. I need some more blades so I wiill try to remember to post prices etc.

The same quality I doubt - even UK/US major firms have never got it right when legally making non patented products in my experience.

a counterfeit doesn't need to concern itself with patent infringement. The lawsuit claims Gillette makes the blades for £0.05 each and they sell for £2.43 or a 4,700+% mark-up. Even if a shop spent 5 times more to make them and sold them at 1/2 the price they would be doing well.

how can gillette get away with such extortion , how was the lawsuit?

I noticed as I was getting my change last night at the the 711 that they had Mach 3 blades behind the counter. I actually need to buy some but just wanted to get out of there last night and didn't inquire about the price.

Funny, I have found some things cheaper in the 711s than in the big supermarkets.

Feel sorry for you guys in hamster mode. Such is the power of marketing. Start shaving with a traditional double edge safety razor and you'll never go back. Box of 100 quality blades costs only B165 at a beauty supply.

You can read over the debate here and witness a few conversions:

• Like 1

Sorry but I started with them many decades ago and would never, ever, go back. Perhaps if you have kitty hair anything will work but when they are lethal weapon strength those rusty blades just don't make the cut.

Sorry but I started with them many decades ago and would never, ever, go back. Perhaps if you have kitty hair anything will work but when they are lethal weapon strength those rusty blades just don't make the cut.

But have you compared w/ Fusion or Mach 3 rusty blades? Besides, you were just a kid and didn't know what you were doing.Otherwise, you'd at least have said, "Duh! I'm shaving with a rusty blade. I'd better use a new one."

Rusty blades. Amazing what nonsense posters come up w/ here to support a bias. Other day in the bike forum a poster showed a "Chinese" bike wrecked w/ a broken swingarm. Hates Chinese stuff. Turned out to be a Honda. smile.png

Edited by JSixpack

Yes I have used the 3 blades and twin blades and 4 blades and find the Fusion to be the best so far - otherwise no amount of advertising budget would get them the market. But agree it is overpriced just as patent medicine often is. And would love to find a generic that works as well but it sure will not be a Blue Blade or other safety razor of 50 years ago.

Agree with the last 2 posts...I use it for shaving my head daily and will not use another...there are cheaper options out there but who wants to be this mean to your own face and head !!!!

Considering the amount of tuff you Teerak spends on her face this is one self expense that is not illogical

Sent from my iPod touch using ThaiVisa app ; please excuse any typo errors

Looks about the same to me as I was using in 1958 and SS blades soon arrived which were a big improvement. I made the mistake of forgetting my two blades at a hotel about 15 years ago and had to buy such a shaver from 7/11 to tide me over and nicks were us. Can't even imagine anyone willingly using such torture in this day and age.

Yes I have used the 3 blades and twin blades and 4 blades and find the Fusion to be the best so far - otherwise no amount of advertising budget would get them the market. But agree it is overpriced just as patent medicine often is. And would love to find a generic that works as well but it sure will not be a Blue Blade or other safety razor of 50 years ago.

Yes, but you haven't rusty--rusty--3 blades and twin blades and 4 blades. I'd say that 4 rusty blades must be worse than 1 rusty blade.

Gillette monopolizes the market w/ absurd Fusions and Mach 3s to maximize profit, of course. Obviously this is a religious issue with you where rationality has little place. You seem awfully worried about current fashion and hate to appear retro. But safety razors were and still are wonderful and absolutely the best way to go, same as vintage Scotch. Thousands have gone back to them; DE shaving has become quite an industry--of which you're blissfully unaware, as you pay thru the nose. You should spend time reading the badgerandblade forums.