California man escapes speeding ticket thanks to Android app

News_Editor

California man escapes speeding ticket thanks to Android app

2011-03-01 21:59:46 GMT+7 (ICT)

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- A California college student successfully appealed a speeding ticket thanks to an application on his Android phone, according to a KABC-TV news report on Tuesday.

KABC-TV reported that Sahas Katta, a student at the University of California, was given a speeding ticket for going 40 miles per hour in a 25 miles per hour zone. Katta, however, said he never speeds and was sure the radar gun was wrong.

The student went to court to appeal the ticket, and won. "I think the evidence I presented was very new and refreshing, and it is cutting-edge technology. Clearly, this had not come up in his court before, which is why he made a statement afterward declaring me not guilty," said Katta to KABC-TV.

The evidence Katta provided was data from one of his Android applications called "My Tracks." It showed that Katta had never got above 26 miles per hour and the judge believed him.

Additionally, the police officer who gave the ticket to Katta did not remember when his radar gun had last been calibrated.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-01