Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

"It was supposed to be the nation's pride and joy, a grand first impression for foreign visitors."

Do the editors of The Nation really believe this was the reason Swampy was built? I mean If so, they are completely out of touch with the realities of contemporary Thailand! For a start, there was nothing wrong with the old Don Muang airport; and if there was a need for more capacity, and additional terminal and runway could have been added to that facility. From the very beginning, the only reason Swampy was built was to create a massive public works project lasting a decade or more and to which all the politicians in power during that time, and their business cronies, could bleed dry through corruption. From the appropriation of land to the shoddy construction, with it's cheap floor tiles that were cracking a few months after the airport opened to the hard metal seats to the sub-standard bathroom sanitaryware, that is always broken, anything and everything was done skim money off the top of construction and materials budgets. It's a wonder the super-structure of the terminal is still standing.

In addition to that, you have the corruption of King Power, and the "influential people" protecting them, filling-up twice the floor-space in the terminals that they paid to occupy to sell there overpriced junk and the non-provision of any public seating areas so that airport patrons are forced to sit in restaurant seating and therefore "encouraged" to buy some of the crappy overpriced food.

From the get-go, Swampy has lived up to its name...and more or less exists as a monument to its time and the private and public corruption that reached a zenith during one Square Faced one's administration.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of whining here? Yes, toilets were a problem when they opened, but it was fixed in a reasonably efficient way. A/C too warm? Jeez! This is Thailand not London/N.Y.

Taxis have never been a problem except for possibly a 10-15 min wait during rush-hours. Touts: sure they'll offer their "services", but a friendly smile and Mai ao, khrap and they'll move on to next victim, often with a smile.

Except for year 1 and this last year, Immigration has mostly been a walk in the park. Looks to me like they've closed down half of Immigrations area? Took me by surprise a couple of months ago and missed my Penang flight. Now I know and expect that this will be fixed soon at this by now world class airport.

For frequent flyers: Turn up early and enjoy hot or cold snacks and a free drink (or more) and free WiFi. If they could supply a chilled Chablis and some Gin (i believe they have tonic); what better way to start a long haul! :D

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

With you all the way.Why do people moan moan moan and still go back? You are in Thailand enjoy....

I think most of the corresponders have not been to many airports. Certainly Singapore is in a different class. If you think suvarnabhumi is expensive then try Sydney, 2 hrs parking is 500bht, long walks are normal as is the wait for immigration and the very long wait to clear customs and quarrantine and then another long walk to the taxi rank or car park. There are very few airports like Singapore and BKK is definitely not the worst by far. If you care to arrive BKK at 0100, you are out of the airport in 30 mins and in Sydney arrive 1200hrs for a good run. All airports have their peak periods when things are slow.

Standard practice in Sydney is for the taxi to take the long way into the city.

couldn't agree more !!! i really HATED Melbourne and Sydney Airports !!!

you pay outrageous amounts for "Airport-Tax", and then not even a LUGGAGE TROLLEY is for free !!!

and an information counter ? hahaha..... good luck with that.... there are only information-terminals where you can "TALK" to a screen - unfortunately you will not get a reply from that screen if u have a specific question. but maybe you r lucky enough to find a friendly airport-cleaning-staff. those folks mostly act as informal information-officers there now.

PLEASE GIVE ME SWAMPY AIRPORT ANY DAY OF THE YEAR

I've never understood the criticism of the airport. I bought into the discussion and my first two times through the place, all I could see was the bad. I have been in a lot of airports and with very few exceptions (Chaingi being one), I don't really like any of them. They are airports. They need to be functional. I'd rather get through the thing and on my way without noticing much of anything.

Now, the only thing I notice at Swampy that I don't like is that it is very noisy.

Sorry, I don't get it.

I've never had a long wait at the airport clearing immigration and customs in Suvaranabhumi. Rather the contrary - it's about the fastest I've ever cleared. Try the lines in New York. And in China they met us with drug-sniffing dogs.

And I've never had a hard time getting a metered taxi there, once you know where they are - and they've always been in the same place every time I've gone through the airport for the last three years.

As for the food, I've never seen an airport where food wasn't grossly overpriced compared to the local economy. A cup of coffee at the airport in Miami is $5.00.

If you think the touts are bad here, you should try the airport in Delhi or Mumbai. You haven't experienced what a real tout is like until you've been to India.

I totally agree.

Immigration queues and number of desks open are the same , and certainly no worse, I would say, relative to the numbers arriving, as most other large international airports I have been through. I hope the dummies complaining on here are not expecting the same speed of immigration clearance as they get when returning to their home countries, because nationals returning home are usually fast-tracked through in separate queues as obviously, they do not need to be checked and recorded as thoroughly as foreigners; which we obviously are when arriving at Soowaannaphoom.

I concur on taxi-meters too. And last time I arrived in October I was not beseiged as previously by touts, taxi drivers, and official agency staff offering me taxis for 700 baht between the Arrivals floor and the Taxi-meter desk on Level 1. I also noted new signs directing you there. So there have been some improvements.

Always take the same precautions with taxis wherever you are in Bangkok., and state clearly "taxi meter" pointing at the meter when you get in. If there is any argument immediately get out and flag down another, or in the airport, go back to the booking desk/booth. I have never had a problem with this at S. , but was conned just once on arrival by an English speaking driver when I queried the meter starting at 39 baht (it should start at 35 baht), who told me the fares had gone up. His meter went up much faster too, to over 400 baht for a journey which should, I think, have been about 250 baht.

Food and drink is very expensive everywhere once you go through to Departures. But at least cheap and varied food is available in the food hall on the lowest floor, which is not the case in most big international airports.

A tip on water. Empty and keep your water bottle at security and then refill it at drinking water fountains outside the toilets in Departures. You can do this at Heathrow and Gatwick , as well as at S. and Don Muang, probably at most big airports.

The walk does not seem longer to me than sometimes at Heathrow, especially T4, and you fat, lazy, and unhealthy B's , after sitting on your <deleted> for 12 hours or more, can similarly choose the conveyor belts to speed you on to your next beer!

I forgot to add my one criticism:

Because of it's big open- plan design from glass, metal, ceramic tiles, and hard plastic seating, it is physically uncomfortable and a very harsh environment accoustically to spend time sitting and waiting, which is what we all have to do after dutifully checking in 2 or 3 hours before a flight, or if in transit or meeting a flight. There are no quiet cosy corners with soft seats and furnishings to sit and relax. It is not at all user friendly in this respect. I find international airports fascinating and exciting places to just sit and people watch, but travelling is very tiring and very stressful for many, and such a harsh environment is the opposite of what is needed in an airport. I suppose the pressure is to keep you moving and spending your money in duty free until you can go to your departure gate. I used to love Dubai airport where you could see a huge show of African ethnic diversity all sitting in groups all along the floor of the long terminal concourse. Now it's just like a huge noisy shopping mall where it is difficult to find a seat and little room to sit on the floor. Keep moving! Keep shopping! is the message.

I have found a little corner to escape at Swampy but I won't tell you where it is because it is not really for passengers. But , if you are desperate, seek and ye shall find !

By profession I am a physician. For some of my educational purposes and holidays I have visited Thailand more than 25 times since 1992. I agree with the details given here about Suvarnabhumi. Previously when I used Don Muang, I felt very comfortable.

I like to add some details about Suvarnavumi.

Thailand what is known as "Land of Smile", which I still feel in all over Thailand EXCEPT at Suvarnabhumi airport. In comparison, I used to feel joy at Don Muang where just after landing, I felt touch of smile and hospitality from every employee of the airport. Now at Suvarnabhumi, what I feel that due to reasons unknown to me, the majority of the employees are depressed.

For this reason when I travel to Thailand now a days, I think, my holiday starts after reaching the hotel e.g. after crossing every hassles those are described in this news plus completing necessary formalities though people who probably CAN NOT SMILE.

What I think now? When my holiday starts? After reaching the hotel from airport and when holiday ends? Just after reaching Suvarnabhumi airport from the hotel on the day of departure.

When at Don Muang, I used to enjoy a lot but at Suvarnabhumi I feel just uncomfortable.

Well well well, what a whinging bunch. I think you have all become spoilt to be quite Frank, you should see the state of T3 at LHR, and the prices, also the taxies are so bad and expensive that a lot of people get a bus to get outside of the Airport and then try and flag down a cab rather then pay the £100 standard fee to travel only 10 miles or so.

Also the Airport is beautifully designed, ergonomic and for a brand new airport, compared to CDG2 expansion, Terminal 5, and others (FCO for example) airports has had very litte problems in my world traveling experience and the mess of the Taxis, pricing of water, snacsk etc is a separate issue, but hey.... Lets think here are you lot that tight that you can pay 30-50 thousand baht ticket perhaps but will not pay the extra 20-30 baht for a bottle of water !!!!

Me things someone here is loosing the plot. :-)

Edited by Sabrinus

Definately the worst airport in the world

What a lot of nonsense, Swampy is a great airport in comparison with other busy airports.. There are 7/11 shops where everything is very reasonable.. where else in the world can you find a 7/11 in an airport..? As for the walk to immigration, for a small fee you can be picked up in one of the small electric carts and taken through fast-track immigration. As for taxis, go upstairs to Departures same as in any airport and take a cab that has just dropped someone off.. easy.. Also the BTS is great now , fast and cheap to the city. If you have a lot of luggage, a taxi is needed.. Same as anywhere in the world, you cannot take many bags onto a train.. thats a personal choice..! Some people like to complain about anything.. Well done the Swampy management team... immigration are a law unto themselves but at least you can make your re-entry visa there now... And the Duty Free is the cheapest in Asia... at least for Jonnie Walker and Jack Daniels... Has anyone been to Charles DeGaulle... now that is a problem airport... try it..! and as for walking ...try Schipol Airport in Amsterdam, thats walking..!!!

I most definately agree. I work in Kazakhstan 28 days then 28 days off at home in Banglamung. I think I may be one of Suvarnabhumi's most frequent travellers passing through. I would just like to say in contradiction to some previous negative comments as follows :

The toilets are impeccable whichever you chose to use, The outgoing immigration process takes less than half the time as Heathrow,(For non EU citizens,) and don't forget we are Falangs the Thai passport holders get through in a flash, The automated walkways make the distance to immigration no object.

Further, when I travel with my wife who is a Thai passport holder and our son who is holder of both Thai and UK, I am always directed by a friendly Immigration officer to accompany them through Thai passport control. At Heathrow it is the complete opposite, we all have to go through as non EU citizens or my baby son and I can go through as UK passport holders then wait a LONG time for Mum.

I do however have one minor complaint. I can buy a tin of Coke for 15 baht outside but it gets confiscated at hand baggage X-Ray. The cost in the departure area is 50 baht !!!!!!!! However my son's milk go's through no problem.

By profession I am a physician. For some of my educational purposes and holidays I have visited Thailand more than 25 times since 1992. I agree with the details given here about Suvarnabhumi. Previously when I used Don Muang, I felt very comfortable.

I like to add some details about Suvarnavumi.

Thailand what is known as "Land of Smile", which I still feel in all over Thailand EXCEPT at Suvarnabhumi airport. In comparison, I used to feel joy at Don Muang where just after landing, I felt touch of smile and hospitality from every employee of the airport. Now at Suvarnabhumi, what I feel that due to reasons unknown to me, the majority of the employees are depressed.

For this reason when I travel to Thailand now a days, I think, my holiday starts after reaching the hotel e.g. after crossing every hassles those are described in this news plus completing necessary formalities though people who probably CAN NOT SMILE.

What I think now? When my holiday starts? After reaching the hotel from airport and when holiday ends? Just after reaching Suvarnabhumi airport from the hotel on the day of departure.

When at Don Muang, I used to enjoy a lot but at Suvarnabhumi I feel just uncomfortable.

I guess this just proves that people have different tastes. I couldn't stand Don Muang. The first time I walked through that ridiculous tube of eternity all I could think was, "what a stupid design." I like the new airport. I find it pretty convenient overall. As far as checking in and security goes, it seems pretty standard compared to the rest of the world, if not a bit faster and easier. I don't know about depressed staff. I never got that impression, nor did I get an impression at D. Muang that they were much friendlier by comparison.

You've been travelling in and out of the country longer than I have. I just wonder if you're not really talking about a kinder, gentler Thailand of days gone by. It has certainly changed in that regard, but then we move beyond the airport and start criticizing modern LOS in general.

I'd have to say this airport was both my first and worst impression of Bangkok. Made me want to leave Thailand asap.

Sandwich had mold on it and i was charged 1200B for a taxi to Victoria monument (I didnt know about airport link/bts :S )

IMHO, main problem is that there seems to be no information desk for transport. Phuket and Chiang mai (and every other airport in the word) have a help desk near the exit, where you can ask how to get where you are going. Although, maybe there is an information desk, who would know, its a f***n maze with no signs...

???How are we supposed to know the airport link exists???

Suvarnabhumi Airport:

Construction 5 stars

Service 0 Stars

I have been in and out stacks of times and have had no trouble. The wait at passport differs depending on how many aircraft land at the same time but It never worried me . Go upstairs and get a taxi to the city or where ever not down where you have to pay extra to book.

Get place Bangkok if you use your nogging! I live in Bangna Bkk.

I have been in and out stacks of times and have had no trouble. The wait at passport differs depending on how many aircraft land at the same time but It never worried me . Go upstairs and get a taxi to the city or where ever not down where you have to pay extra to book.

Agreed. All this thinking just cuts into most people's drinking time doesn't it? Why don't airplanes just start taxiing right up to bars/pubs? laugh.gif

And, unfortunately, the officials aren't gonna do **** all about it, because why? because customers have no other choice. Bastards! I say, let's go back to don muang which at least had some charachter... and why on earth don't they have any pubs lik don muang?

There are alternatives to waiting in queues for over an hour at immigration, simply try other Asian places, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia even China are all looking for tourists and I have been treated very well in each of them by their immigration people. They genuinely are happy to meet and greet foreign people - Thailand and its rather inward looking perspective is putting many people off. I am sick of being made to feel like a burden when I go there.

And, unfortunately, the officials aren't gonna do **** all about it, because why? because customers have no other choice. Bastards! I say, let's go back to don muang which at least had some charachter... and why on earth don't they have any pubs lik don muang?

There are alternatives to waiting in queues for over an hour at immigration, simply try other Asian places, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia even China are all looking for tourists and I have been treated very well in each of them by their immigration people. They genuinely are happy to meet and greet foreign people - Thailand and its rather inward looking perspective is putting many people off. I am sick of being made to feel like a burden when I go there.

Good points. I was made to feel very welcome over in Cambodia last weekend. Coming back to Thailand instantly reminded me how unfriendly the Thais have become over the last few years. Not a smile to be seen on anyone's face from the airport to my house in Bangkok.

So refreshing to have a conversation with some of the locals in Cambo also where they could discuss a subject at length in English. Rarely if ever will a Thai open up to a foreigner in such a manner let alone be able to discuss politics for example without bias or prejudice.

My complaints are:

1. Departure immigration queues are often long. A little over a month ago there wasn't just one queue for all desks, but a queue for each desk, so it was unfair for people waiting at desks that only had one officer as opposed to two at other desks. I have a friend who worked at the airport who says that many people miss their flights whilst waiting in the queue at immigration. There needs to be a better system, starting at least with having only one queue for all desks and having more officers.

2. I have had items stolen from my luggage on arrival.

I don't understand why some of you whine about people not smiling. I don't care about unfriendliness as it's unimportant - I'm not there to make new friends. It would even be fine if instead there was a computer that could process passports faster (e.g. like e-check in, which I often do - the computer spits out a valid boarding pass). I just want things to be done properly without much hassle or delay, as I don't want to miss the flight that I paid for. I'd be more bothered by immigration officers who are smiling and chatting with others as it means that they are not doing their job at 100% efficiency, which can cause delays in processing.

Edited by hyperdimension

Complaining about the terminal being warm???? Really? In Thailand?? You do realize that BKK is near the equator, and the A/C in such a huge open space such as an airport is incredibly expensive and wasteful. In the name of efficiency and environmental awareness, I have no problem with the airport not being turned into a meat locker. And for the taxi queue, for anyone going into Bangkok, why are you not taking a train? Even if you need to get a taxi at one of the stops in the city, or connect on a different line, it is still cheaper and easier than hassling with one all the way from the airport. Otherwise, if you are so high and mighty that you cannot dare to be seen on mass transit, than book a limo in advance. There is plenty of room for luggage on the airport train, which is more than can be said of any of the taxis in BKK.

I agree the food is too expensive, and the immigration lines are absurdly slow, but that is the truth in every single airport in the USA, and many others throughout the world. I had no problem finding the airport rail link on my first visit to BKK with the signs posted, and for anyone traveling to not do a little research in advance to find out about such things before arriving, they deserve what they get. But the signs are the same as in any other airport, easy to spot if you actually look for them. I would say the average leisure traveller will not likely have a bad experience, it is only the people who fly out 10+ times a year that would notice most of the crap that people here love to complain about. And any new building of this size, airport or otherwise, will always have a few bugs to work out, that is normal and expected.

People here need to quit complaining and take a trip so LAX to see what a really bad airport is really like.

Edited by RaoulDuke

My complaints are:

1. Departure immigration queues are often long. A little over a month ago there wasn't just one queue for all desks, but a queue for each desk, so it was unfair for people waiting at desks that only had one officer as opposed to two at other desks. I have a friend who worked at the airport who says that many people miss their flights whilst waiting in the queue at immigration. There needs to be a better system, starting at least with having only one queue for all desks and having more officers.

I don't understand why some of you whine about people not smiling. I don't care about unfriendliness as it's unimportant - I'm not there to make new friends. It would even be fine if instead there was a computer that could process passports faster (e.g. like e-check in, which I often do - the computer spits out a valid boarding pass). I just want things to be done properly without much hassle or delay, as I don't want to miss the flight that I paid for.

That's a refreshing point. People are just getting a little too hung up on whether or not they're smiled at aren't they? An airports efficacy is paramount to its degree of politeness, and btw I have been treated politely at Suva. while getting to my gate in a timely fashion.

Some people here should try the U.S. say for instance an international hub like Atlanta where big, fat, ignorant people treat you like you're just in their way; and it doesn't phase them one bit if they yell at you b/c you didn't catch something they said the first time or react quickly enough. All that and they're slow as molasses causing people to miss flights regularly. Get real folks.

"Worst airport in the world" - lol <deleted> ???

Have you guys ever tried any other airport ? im amazed how much complaining going on here.

Im going through numerous airports every month, including suvarnabhumi, and for me its one of my favourite airports, i actually enjoy going through this airport and cannot recognize any of the complaints here.

Expensive food, not enough toilets, long immigration queues, bad-mannered officials, mafia at the parking lot, crooked taxi-drivers, no free wi-fi, too far to walk

Expensive food ? - NOT compared to 99% other airpots.

Not enough toilets ? - ive never tried to come to a toilet that is full or even close to being full, and never seen dirty toilets.

Long immigration queues ? - yes they can be long, but just something we have to accept in an airport this size with SSS safety regulations in the world we are living in.

Taxi mafia ? - few airports that doesnt have them, and compared to many other asian countries bkk is a dream. Never had problems with public taxi's.

No free wifi - maybe i can agree it would be a nice one, but many airports lacks this

Too far to walk - hey, its a big airport !

Additionally i can add that its an airport where you get smiles by the staff everywhere, even immigration can smile which is rare in so many other places, and ive never had anything but good service in this airport, actually i love it.

I would just like to agree with you i dont travel to Thailand much anymore but having been in places like Gabon, Congo, Libya, etc how many airports have these guys been too, bad is being robbed by the the imigration people on your way in and out of a country ''dirty toilets'' Point Noir has bee seen to be believed. i could go on but wont

Well said, and to add to that, they even have proper fully ventilated smoking rooms, how civilized compared to

Thiefrow (LHR) where even the night staff have to try and sneak out for a quick ciggy.....

Edited by Sabrinus

My complaints are:

I don't understand why some of you whine about people not smiling. I don't care about unfriendliness as it's unimportant - I'm not there to make new friends. It would even be fine if instead there was a computer that could process passports faster (e.g. like e-check in, which I often do - the computer spits out a valid boarding pass). I just want things to be done properly without much hassle or delay, as I don't want to miss the flight that I paid for. I'd be more bothered by immigration officers who are smiling and chatting with others as it means that they are not doing their job at 100% efficiency, which can cause delays in processing.

people said it's the land of smile then...

For all who think Suvarnabhmi is a bad airport, spare a thought for the millions of travelers who have to travel through two of the worst airports in any developed country... London's Heathrow and Gatwick.

Gatwick now resembles a bus station albeit one built in the early seventies and Heathrow,well unless you're flying BA out of terminal 5,the other terminals make BKK appear flawless. Unless you're a "premier 'traveler' hence having access to one of the many lounges,it's standing room only( literally) in the main part of terminal 3's airside lounge. Dirty,shabby,rude staff and 55THB for a coffee ? Try £5.50 for one at Heathrow ( according to the math , that's 5 x the price).

Singapore has it problems too ... overpriced consumer durables and magazines ... with very pushy and annoying Foreign exchange counter staff.. trying their best to ram expensive sim cards down one's throat in order to earn commission. Further to that,depending when you arrive,one too can wait up to 45 to an hour in the immigration line. When BA, Qantas and Emirates all land within 30 minutes of each other from Dubai and London respectively,that line does take forever.

I love Thailand and BKK's airport represents one giant "Welcome Sign "to me. It's not perfect,but I prefer it to Singapore's ,London's and a host of others. In fact I hate big flashy airports. Zurich is my type of airport. Clean,quiet,orderly...all the ingredients that make one feel at ease before flying

This is a nonsense!

The Airport has only been opened since September 2009! apart from the few hiccups regarding the runway surface,the extremes of going through the security and immigration,(which no doubt the authorities have either looked at BS bulletins from the US Airport authority or others) ,the restrictions on the DF amounts that can be brought into Thailand,previously(Up until 2009,you could bring in allsorts) now its a Litre max) THe staff dont understand the rules! flying to Singapore....They will tell you you can only take 1 Ltr Spirits....when in fact....you are also allowed 1 Ltr of Wine and Beer! ! !and the Taxi Tossers i have not encountered any problems!

Heathrow...Your feet stick to the stinking carpet at the immigration counters at the arrivals! unreal!

Regards your mans post regarding Seoul Airport!.......... unless its had a major revamp in 6 years! when i was last there,(Staff at food oulets couldnt speak a word of English) In an International Airport)!!!! There was absolutely nothing special about it!

Without a doubt the top airport that i have been to in the world is HK...followed by Changi in Singapore...although taxi queues in Changi are now getting out of hand on arrival!!!

Thats how Airports should be run!

Try going to Oz! and see how well you fare! especially Perth! where theres a little lady after outbound immigration,asking you if you have any duty free on you!!!! <deleted> with that???

Having lived there for 30 years...Its a P. OFF !!!!

Premier Lounge in Qatar Airways Doha...Load of BS...Not a premium Scotch to be seen!

(As of DEC 2009). But a great airline that will improve,great in flight service,matched by bad land side.

Best Biz Class Lounges ......Virgin Captains Club at LHR!....SIA@ Changi...TG @ BKK.

Give me Suvarnabhumi any day!!!

(Where else in the world can you buy a bottle of Heineken at an International airport for Bht40. Approx ...AUD$1.30 /USD$1,30...GBP 80Pp

Forget about the Euro! the results of that are being seen far and wide!

Have a nice day!

Agreed. All this thinking just cuts into most people's drinking time doesn't it? Why don't airplanes just start taxiing right up to bars/pubs? laugh.gif

Love it Mate..

Have 1 for me! haha!

I would refer you to the fact that so many Changi lovers fail to mention, Changi handles MUCH LESS passenger volume than any of Bangkok's airports have ever done

um, not quite much less... they are actually on par with passenger volumes.

BKK 38,565,626 vs SIN 37,974,903 last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic

... what part of TRANSIT PASSENGERS in my post do you not understand?

did I miss quote you?

No you did not , but it is a high profile member ,and maybe hit the bottle early today