Suvarnabhumi Airport: A Bad Experience For Travellers

webfact

What is at issue here is that it should be a showcase.

The designers had the opportunity from learn from previous examples all over the world.

The airport serves Thailand as well as being a transit point, with the important economic advantages that being a nexus can provide. It is uniquely placed to advertise Thailand in both roles.

There are some positives.

The art on the walls has been well chosen.

The walkways work.

The small trolleys are good.

Otherwise, I am afraid there are some real problems.

The food. Appalling quality, over-priced and the venues are lacking in ambience. Super-sized plastic palm trees! God rest my soul.

Need for short-term accommodation on-site and user-pays lounges (both cheap, medium, and expensive) which have showers and massage and internet and WIFI. A six hour stop-over is horrific, if you do not choose to go into Bangkok.

The first things I would do are:

Question and address HOW the airport could showcase Thailand, in all its glorious and colourful complexity and abundance.

Provide DECENT FOOD and VARIETY OF RESTAURANTS and SOME SOPHISTICATED BARS and stop the restaurant touts hassling passers-by. I found the food dreadful, the tables grubby, the atmosphere vile, the service appalling and the prices extortionate. So, who cares if lots of other aiports have the same: it is not compulsory. Thailand could take the lead here.

Have a COMPAINTS/SUGGESTIONS BOX. Have more INFORMATION COUNTERS.

And, for goodness sake, show some sophistication about smoking. Singapore Airport shows both class and canny business sense. They provide a lovely roof-top garden lounge, in the open air, and they charge something like $20 for a bottle of beer. Why not? It was packed the last time I was there. Accept the fact that a percentage of customers are smokers and many will be travelling for 3 or 4 days, from go to woe. The smoking facilities @ Bangkok Airport are on a par with Fiji. No, they are actually worse.

I dread going to Bangkok.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.) There are airports where you have a much longer walk.

2.) Immigration was quick every time.

3.) Always see guys on every airport running around and looking for there luggage, it's easy to find here in Bangkok.

4.) Toilets where clean and had no bad smell when I was there last month.

5.) Taxi immediately switched the meter on after I named my destination.

6.) Food was a bit expensive (small Sushi for 400 Bath) but thats on other airports the same, only the ambiance should be improved.

7.) In the complete airport the climate was fine, not to cold or to hot. Sure some like it colder, but the difference when you step outside can cause for someone like me problems.

8.) Never saw there someone unfriendly. This time a friend asked a security guy a real dumb question and that was answered friendly and correct in English.

Sure some things can be improved, but it's not that bad as some say.

Wi-Fi is missing and a sign to the new airport link I did miss.

My last time through here was in mid December with a 1 hour wait to clear immig. My bags were sailing around the carousel with no one securing them anyone could have seen this and picked up any bag or two.

I left at the end of January and it took 50 mins to clear emmig. The usual sour, dour dismissive snarl from the rubbish officials on these desks. Your first and last experience of Thai welcome is a snarl of contempt. Nice one guys.

In the shopping area I couldn't stop thinking of the scam there with accusations of false shop lifting and a large bribe being paid to get your self out of it and onto your plane.

Two of us left bags in the Chubb secure left luggage (with 23 security cameras! Like heck). They were rifled when we went to collect them 2 days later.

The long walks?? They're not too bad and anyway, I can do with them as I need to get into shape for those few Chang I may be tempted with.

By the way the taxi driver dropping me off who wanted 300 baht tip from me got an earful in Thai.

Edited by harleyclarkey

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

You must be joking RIGHT? The only way this airport is decent or convenient is if you are flying on Thai. If you fly somecarriers your plane is parked on the tarmac and you have to take dam_n shuttle to the building and waste another 20 minutes getting to immigration. I have been in international airports all over the world and while this one is "Pretty" it is also a joke. Nothing gets done in this country that someone's pockets are not enhanced. Unless the enhancement is agreeable to all concerned the problems will remain and will never go away. GIVE ME A BREAK!

It's one of the better airports. Of course, minor problems will always happen. Somehow most people in this forum only want to critizise anything here in Thailand. Why do you come here?

You must be joking RIGHT? The only way this airport is decent or convenient is if you are flying on Thai. If you fly somecarriers your plane is parked on the tarmac and you have to take dam_n shuttle to the building and waste another 20 minutes getting to immigration. I have been in international airports all over the world and while this one is "Pretty" it is also a joke. Nothing gets done in this country that someone's pockets are not enhanced. Unless the enhancement is agreeable to all concerned the problems will remain and will never go away. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Ha----another thought-is the thread re-high end-well off tourists....these are the folks who would never know if the airport is riddled with corruption... off High priced flights 1st class/B.....off the plane first, 1st at immigration OR fast through. Baggage collected for them and trollied out to A.O.T. limo's.

Arriving fresh at the 5 star hotel with full board, and trips provided during their stay--and sit by the pool...browning. then returning the same way......................very nice eh. so the airport wont have to change will it. as no one will complain as they won't experience the normal drawbacks. This is a 2 in one ,sort of post, covering 2 threads-that connect. and not sour grapes as I have been there and done it--the posh and the 75 bht guest house 30 years ago. ..The government wants to concentrate on this type of tourist.....in my experience if you get rid of the rest --Thailand will Die a death, as the LOW end are the ones in general who provide for the girls and boys--and their families-and taxis/vendors/hotels and pubs to name a few....also rents and leases, and houses. So we are entitled to have a moan now and again, we pay for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ginjag

Similar format to other airport complaint posts: first page of inconsequential whining from armchair or infrequent fliers. Then a page of realistic comparisons from those that do use commercial air travel for more than the yearly vacation.

It's an AIRPORT! Not a shopping mall or restaurant complex. Airplanes are buses with wings run by bus companies with airplanes. Airports are bus stations for buses with wings. Get the picture yet?

That is why Changi airport excel year after year. The transit area is laid out and designed like a shopping mall, instead of a bus station, for buses with wings...:rolleyes:

I would refer you to the fact that so many Changi lovers fail to mention, Changi handles MUCH LESS passenger volume than any of Bangkok's airports have ever done. Yes, the friendly mall-like atmosphere serves the TRANSIT passenger very well. Singapore has much less incoming tourist visitors but does a handy trade with those just passing through.

What other relevant points of comparison have you missed?

This is an issue of quality vs quantity...lol...being discussed in another thread?

Changi's transit area is like a shopping mall, Swampy's is like a department store. Note the difference between the two in terms of variety and price competition?

I really don't understand,Ya go thru imigration in 20 minutes.As far as A long walk,after being on the plane for hours,It's good exercise.

As far as taxi's just be careful,you'll be fine.It's A nice airport.Quit CRYING

I have to agree with many of the posts I read on this thread, that point out that this new policy of "targeting" a better/richer class of tourists is a mistake. Those of us who live here, or those who spend any amount of time here, know there are many problems here, both socially and in business/government, which to our way of thinking and experience, should not be too hard to solve and put right, but which for "some reason" seem to Thai people insurmountable to the Thai system and or "way of doing things". As so many here have said though, due to the inherent corruption from Govmnt down all the way to the basic tour operator, nothing can change fast. In my opinion, the reference to going for or targeting of "higher quality tourists" seems to me, to be that they will try to filter the foreign "scam artists", mafia, small to medium drug dealers(big boys with connections not included), the people with "no obvious legal income" along with the so called cheap "back-packers", who some have rightly pointed out as a lower, but good steady income and try to attract the families and singles with money to spend in a short time. As many have stated, unfortunately, it will mean that the money will go to the "already rich" sector of society and the real basis of the tour market income - ie. the medium range to many good quality low cost hotels and guest houses, medium or smaller tour operators and all the VIP busses and vans that depend on them, along with the many food outlets and "normal Thai people" that offer services that rely on the "normal tourist" etc. along the way that service them, will suffer from this new policy if implemented. I disagree with those that say, that there is little or no quality tour options available. I have experienced many places all around T/L, both by the beach, or in the "rural areas" offering a very "high quality" stay and service ranging from a reasonable price, to the exorbitant. Many people have stated that the obvious corruption inherent in T/L needs to be solved and I agree, but some of the (to us) draconian rules applying to land ownership and such, I fully agree with. I come from New Zealand. Our Gvrmnt made a very bad decision when it allowed pretty much unrestricted foreign ownership of land and businesses. Today, due to the world recession along with bad management and debts, I see huge diary farms, that have been kept in the same family for generations, belonging to a Chinese or Japanese company, that sends most of its profits out of the country and in a large way contributes to the high cost of those "traditional or staple" food items that many Kiwis now have trouble affording. Going for the "quality" tourists was another big policy mistake, as it allowed "foreign companies" to easily get in huge "package tours" where the tourists were given coupons in their home countries in exchange for cash, to pay for most daily items not included in the cost of their hotel, as well as souvenirs etc., which meant that the many NZ firms and people reliant on the "tourist trade" for an income, lost business or missed out altogether, as the money never left where they came from. In more than a few instances, the quality of the produce from these "foreign-owned" concerns, dropped from the usually high standards practiced by the former local owners, along with the many normal high health standards, which gave many former impeccable companies, several of which were internationally known brands, a bad name that reflects very badly on NZ as a country. We all see the crimes committed by tourists and foreign residents that appear on the news, but when the number of these crimes, is looked at as a percentage of the total foreigners staying, living here, or touring the country, the numbers are reasonable and inline or better than the statistics of many other countries. I just hope that this "new policy" is only another "statement" and not an actual shift of intent. I know how much I spend each month living here and the cost of living to me is quite high, so I think that it would be instructive at the least, to know some "accurate figures" on just how much those of us that call Thailand home, really do contribute to the economy from the cash we bring in from overseas - either from a business or from our savings "back home"!. I have not left here for some time, so as to Suvarnabhumi Airport, I can only go on the many comments made by friends who use it regularly. These range from disgusting to really good, but some things seem to be constant, such as the high cost of food and goods sold there, to often long waiting times at immigration, depending on who you fly with and how, to time of arrival, which is a factor at any large airport. I fail to see too, how the political unrest and uncertainty present here now, can not adversely affect tourism.

And, unfortunately, the officials aren't gonna do **** all about it, because why? because customers have no other choice.

You forget that all tourists actually have a choice, they can just stay home or go somewhere else next time. I can easily imagine that a lot of those who have had to wait for up to two hours at immigration will opt to do that, not to mention those that missed their plane. But I'm sure the number of tourists will still be up this year since there seems to be at least two Russians arriving for every westerner that stays home.

And, unfortunately, the officials aren't gonna do **** all about it, because why? because customers have no other choice.

You forget that all tourists actually have a choice, they can just stay home or go somewhere else next time. I can easily imagine that a lot of those who have had to wait for up to two hours at immigration will opt to do that, not to mention those that missed their plane. But I'm sure the number of tourists will still be up this year since there seems to be at least two Russians arriving for every westerner that stays home.

Right. The fact is it's really just not that bad. It's not, sorry. You act like it's some kind of oppression. I've come into Thailand many times, and I've simply never seen what you are talking about. There are some very valid posts on this discussion. For instance, the numerous references to the duty free scam where people get accused of shoplifting. Who could argue against that? It's <deleted> horrendous. There are scams all over the country, yet why do people stay and come back? Because the positives outweigh the negatives quite simply. Most of the time I love it here, and part of the time I hate it here, such is life. Let me tell you I have no plans on going back to the west, none. Back home many things make life harder, here only some.

I own a business here that needs tourists to survive. I'm sure you'd love to hear that most of our standard internationals dropped off the radar while the Russians gained ten fold. Sorry, it didn't happen. I don't really see a difference, and, thankfully, we're busy. Honestly I could not tell you with a straight face that I see more Russians today vs. the array of economically healthy Asian and Western peoples. There have been shifts but nothing that drops one's jaw. Sorry. biggrin.gif

I'd have to say this airport was both my first and worst impression of Bangkok. Made me want to leave Thailand asap.

Sandwich had mold on it and i was charged 1200B for a taxi to Victoria monument (I didnt know about airport link/bts :S )

IMHO, main problem is that there seems to be no information desk for transport. Phuket and Chiang mai (and every other airport in the word) have a help desk near the exit, where you can ask how to get where you are going. Although, maybe there is an information desk, who would know, its a f***n maze with no signs...

???How are we supposed to know the airport link exists???

Suvarnabhumi Airport:

Construction 5 stars

Service 0 Stars

You haven't got a clue. The first time i arrived in Thailand was March 2006 at Don Muang airport. I had never been that far east on my own and walked out to the taxi rank at 7pm to a free for all of taxi sharks who were intent on ripping me off or worse. I genuinely considered walking back into the terminal and going back to Blighty I have never felt so alone in my life. But i got through it and after 30 mins of dithering i picked one and duely got ripped off by my taxi choice who was intent on running me round Bkk for two hours.

The next time i went back i'd finished David Smyths 'Teach your self Thai' and Suvarnabhumi was open. When i got thru customs (faster than any Brit airport full of queues returning africans and indians) i walked out front to the Taxi queue desk picked up a ticket and went straight to my destination.

100% improvement for the same price airticket as the year before. People arriving in Thailand in 2011 haven't got too much to moan about really and as for signage i just follow everyone else, it's a strategy that's never failed to get me from the plane to the taxi until now.

I can never understand why people complain so much about a place they spend so little time and who eats food at a Thai airport??

Right. The fact is it's really just not that bad. It's not, sorry. You act like it's some kind of oppression. I've come into Thailand many times, and I've simply never seen what you are talking about. There are some very valid posts on this discussion. For instance, the numerous references to the duty free scam where people get accused of shoplifting. Who could argue against that? It's <deleted> horrendous. There are scams all over the country, yet why do people stay and come back? Because the positives outweigh the negatives quite simply. Most of the time I love it here, and part of the time I hate it here, such is life. Let me tell you I have no plans on going back to the west, none. Back home many things make life harder, here only some.

I think you are overreacting to the points being made. To criticize Suvarhabhumi does not mean everyone is criticizing Thailand as a whole or wants to leave. There are a couple of main points here. The first is that Thailand trumpeted the airport as the next Wonder of the World, and it is not. THey could have taken lessons from other new airports and really made it amazing. Instead, they got a nice-looking, but run-of-the-mill airport.

The second is that many, many things could be better. The walks are too long for some people, especially those with mobility problems. And whereas many other airports, with shorter walks, offer readily available carts to whisk people to their gates, that is hard to get here. And while incoming immigration is on par with most other places, outgoing is ridiculous. Only in Delhi have I experienced the same.

This may sound simplistic, but I liken this type of criticism to fans criticizing their home team. My local football team is pretty good, all told. But on our forum, we all harp on the ownership for not getting this player or that, for certain decisions the coaches make, for boneheaded plays by the players. But we are still diehard fans who root for the team. I "root" for Thailand, but I can acknowledge that Suvarnabhumi is not quite the jewel it was supposed to be.

I really don't understand,Ya go thru imigration in 20 minutes.As far as A long walk,after being on the plane for hours,It's good exercise.

As far as taxi's just be careful,you'll be fine.It's A nice airport.Quit CRYING

I agree with you. The last time I arrived I was in a taxi in less than 30 minutes. And when I left, other than the waiting at the gate, the process from taxi to waiting area was about 20 minutes. What the heck is the big deal. You're passing through, not living there. I've been in Bangkok hotels where it took longer to check in and out than it did to arrive or depart at the airport.

I think you are overreacting to the points being made. To criticize Suvarhabhumi does not mean everyone is criticizing Thailand as a whole or wants to leave. There are a couple of main points here. The first is that Thailand trumpeted the airport as the next Wonder of the World, and it is not. THey could have taken lessons from other new airports and really made it amazing. Instead, they got a nice-looking, but run-of-the-mill airport.

The second is that many, many things could be better. The walks are too long for some people, especially those with mobility problems. And whereas many other airports, with shorter walks, offer readily available carts to whisk people to their gates, that is hard to get here. And while incoming immigration is on par with most other places, outgoing is ridiculous. Only in Delhi have I experienced the same.

This may sound simplistic, but I liken this type of criticism to fans criticizing their home team. My local football team is pretty good, all told. But on our forum, we all harp on the ownership for not getting this player or that, for certain decisions the coaches make, for boneheaded plays by the players. But we are still diehard fans who root for the team. I "root" for Thailand, but I can acknowledge that Suvarnabhumi is not quite the jewel it was supposed to be.

Well there is certainly a lot one could complain about. How ever there is a lot that the complainers do not know.

For instance the distance to walk. All Major airports have this problem. If one is not mobile enough to do this they can always get mobility from the air line they are using. Just ASK.

As for line ups as has been stated earlier and often a experienced travler has no problem with that. It is not fair to compare Bangkok air port to say Chiang Mai.

Over priced goods and food. Same as at home. There are places that do that I just don't bother with them. Food one can grab a snack at a fairly reasonable price at the 7/11.

Yes there is a lot they could do but they are not in the charity business and do a pretty good job over all.

If one wants to compare Bangkok to Singapore. Stop and think what would happen in Singapore if all of a sudden they got the same volume of travelers as Bangkok. You might have to change your opinion.

The very fact that one chooses to compare one to the other tells me that the complainer really knows nothing or is trying to con me.

If one wants to compare Bangkok to Singapore. Stop and think what would happen in Singapore if all of a sudden they got the same volume of travelers as Bangkok. You might have to change your opinion.

Hong Kong received more a lot passenger traffic than Suvarnabhumi in 2010.

Changi Singapore only marginally less than Bangkok.

Well there is certainly a lot one could complain about. How ever there is a lot that the complainers do not know.

For instance the distance to walk. All Major airports have this problem. If one is not mobile enough to do this they can always get mobility from the air line they are using. Just ASK.

As for line ups as has been stated earlier and often a experienced travler has no problem with that. It is not fair to compare Bangkok air port to say Chiang Mai.

I beg to differ here. Most airports do not have this type of walk as most large airports are not arranged in the same manner. Some posters have derided LAX, for example, but in the U-shape it is, there are no long walks. And if you have to go from one terminal to the other, you take the shuttle. Narita has two terminals, and the main one has wings branching out from the two immigrations, so no walk can be as long as they can be as at BKK. Chicago has a train taking people between terminals. The main problem with Suvarnabhumi is that the terminal is one huge complex. And for a foreign visitor who is perhaps not that familiar with traveling, who doesn't speak Thai, then asking is not so easily done.

And as far as immigration, as many posters have said, Suvarnabhumi has just about the worst outgoing than anywhere else. I have flown in and out of many, many airports, and only Delhi can be as long a wait as Suvarnabhumi can be. I am not sure how an "experienced traveler" can have no problem with the outgoing immigration other than to get the VIP pass.

Actually, I quite enjoy Survanabhumi airport. That place is buzzing! I have never had to wait at the toilets there ever. The only obstacles are the cleaning ladies who seem to be cleaning the restrooms constantly. If you can't find a taxi at Survanabhumi there has to be something seriously wrong with you. Yes, the taxi rank has moved downstairs which is not a bad idea if you consider the traffic volume at this airport. You can still easily find a taxi upstairs since they are constantly dropping people off there and they will most definitely pick up anybody going anywhere because they cannot leave their taxi parked on this level waiting for a better fare. Security will kick them out within minutes.

Any taxi up on this level has just made a good fare by taking someone to the airport. If they can get another fare straight after they dropped that person off. They are going to take you wherever you want. Why wouldn't they? Their only other options are to go downstairs and wait in a ridiculously long taxi cue or drive back empty from wherever they came from in the first place.

If you think the food at the airport is expensive, don't ever come to Australia! From my experience all Airports are overpriced. Why should Survanabhumi be any different? I buy myself a meal there from my favourite food vendor, which costs 120 baht and a real espresso coffee for 45 baht. Then I go to the convenience store and get a large bottle of Chang for 55 baht so I can sit outside and drink beer, smoke cigarettes and watch the world go by. That whole episode just cost me 7 Australian dollars while I'm wasting some time waiting for my plane to come in. I'm very happy with that exchange! Back in Aus I would be in trouble with the Authorities for drinking in a public place. Yet , at Survanabhumi I feel quite safe and comfortable with the large amount of security guards walking around and keeping an eye on things. They don't have a problem with me and I don't have a problem with them. Sweet!

Fair enough, there is no free Wi-Fi (that I know of) and the internet cafe is expensive but I can live without the internet for a day.

I think having only a Muslim prayer room is a bit weird. What about all the other faiths? Why not just have a prayer room where any faith can go and pray?

Yes immigration can be slow at peak times and the officials are not so bubbly. I experience the exact same thing in my home country and sometimes it's even worse!

Last year in May, I landed in Survanabhumi at around 9pm whilst the red shirts were doing their thing and the whole city of Bangkok was under strict curfew from 8pm to 6am.

Even though our government was warning all Australians not to travel to Thailand, I still chose to go there so I could be with my wife and be present at the birth of my son.

Everybody was stranded at Survanabhumi airport. There were no taxis or busses , except for this one single bus that would loop from the airport to the danger-zone dropping off military personnel and anybody who had a genuine reason to be there (pretty much nobody). Anyway, since I was stranded at the airport.. I had a few cold beers and got in a conversation with the bus operator about what was going on. Then he suggested I could come for a ride with him as long as I didn't get off the bus. So, I did!

There was just one Buddhist Monk and myself as passengers as we drove through Bangkok with not another single vehicle on the road..there were no shops open...no petrol stations or 7-eleven's...nothing was open and there was not even a single person to be seen anywhere on the streets in the entire journey through Bangkok (besides the military). We dropped off the Monk somewhere along the line and drove back to Survanabhumi. That was the drivers last trip for the night because he couldn't get any petrol for his bus anywhere. It really was a complete curfew.

Imagine driving through a city as large as Bangkok and there are no cars or people to be seen and no shops or businesses open and you're sitting on this one bus drinking beer.. that was an unusual experience but it wasn't bad. I ended up sleeping somewhere on the floor at the airport and took the first domestic flight out to my final destination.

As a tourist, I don't really have anything bad to say about this airport. It's a buzz! :)

Edited by Atma

Definately the worst airport in the world

I think that is a bit strong--some of the airports in UK would qualify as worse than Suvarnabhumi--and 'Worst in the World'--well, there are plenty worse than either of these choices; Delhi airport is no beauty, Kabul was a shithole several years ago and so on and so on..........

and one more thing with airport taxi drivers, which happens especially in small hours, the driver agrees to go on meter, you happily get in, the meter starts clapping meter fare 35, 37, 39, 41... But hold on. The numbers change almost each 3 seconds. These 'smart asses' drivers are adjusting their meter to run faster! And that has no connection to any sort of night time fare. It's a scam. I got such taxi and was surprised when meter showed 100 someting baht only leaving airport premises. I told him to stop,your meter shows ridiculous charge. The driver smilingly said, yes, meter is fast. I said go back airport, he said no u-turn, i said pull and i find another cab, he said this is autobahn, cananot stop. I said we go police, check your meter. He said, how much you pay me? I knew the price was 170+tolls, and he agreed. But a newbie to thai will not notice it. Bargain, bargain everywhere - in bumrungrad, bangkok hospitals, you can bargain the cost of even surgical operations. Bargain in banks - when we order currency to exchange, we even bargain exchange rate!

I have been in and out stacks of times and have had no trouble. The wait at passport differs depending on how many aircraft land at the same time but It never worried me . Go upstairs and get a taxi to the city or where ever not down where you have to pay extra to book.

Get place Bangkok if you use your nogging! I live in Bangna Bkk.

The last time I tried your taxi idea, the driver charged me a 50-baht surcharge for me hailing the taxi on the departure level! (Same charge for booking on the arrivals level.) Go figure!

and one more thing with airport taxi drivers, which happens especially in small hours, the driver agrees to go on meter, you happily get in, the meter starts clapping meter fare 35, 37, 39, 41... But hold on. The numbers change almost each 3 seconds. These 'smart asses' drivers are adjusting their meter to run faster! And that has no connection to any sort of night time fare. It's a scam. I got such taxi and was surprised when meter showed 100 someting baht only leaving airport premises. I told him to stop,your meter shows ridiculous charge. The driver smilingly said, yes, meter is fast. I said go back airport, he said no u-turn, i said pull and i find another cab, he said this is autobahn, cananot stop. I said we go police, check your meter. He said, how much you pay me? I knew the price was 170+tolls, and he agreed. But a newbie to thai will not notice it. Bargain, bargain everywhere - in bumrungrad, bangkok hospitals, you can bargain the cost of even surgical operations. Bargain in banks - when we order currency to exchange, we even bargain exchange rate!

It's good you stick up for yourself, but a word of caution if I may. There are a good solid number of taxi drivers who are not the least bit above pulling out a tire iron, crow bar, or something to this effect and threatening you with it. In most cases I've heard of it's just a game of chicken, but you never know. Be careful. smile.gif

Exaggerated criticism, as usual. The airport has ample space, ample conveniences, is clean and convenient. Getting taxis is not a big problem, they even have a train connection now although these have their small troubles. People will always find something to complain about. Try taking a taxi from New York airport to know what high price means. Or reach Frankfurt airport in the early morning to find all coffee shops shut. Or go to Shanghai airport and try finding cabbies who won't fleece you. Or, go to Saudi Arabia with a picture or idol of your God and enjoy the mortification of getting it destroyed or confiscated.

Edited by HereIAm

Exaggerated criticism, as usual. The airport has ample space, ample conveniences, is clean and convenient. Getting taxis is not a big problem, they even have a train connection now although these have their small troubles. People will always find something to complain about. Try taking a taxi from New York airport to know what high price means. Or reach Frankfurt airport in the early morning to find all coffee shops shut. Or go to Shanghai airport and try finding cabbies who won't fleece you. Or, go to Saudi Arabia with a picture or idol of your God and enjoy the mortification of getting it destroyed or confiscated.

Nice post. Puts it neatly in perspective.

There was just one Buddhist Monk and myself as passengers as we drove through Bangkok with not another single vehicle on the road..there were no shops open...no petrol stations or 7-eleven's...nothing was open and there was not even a single person to be seen anywhere on the streets in the entire journey through Bangkok (besides the military). We dropped off the Monk somewhere along the line and drove back to Survanabhumi. That was the drivers last trip for the night because he couldn't get any petrol for his bus anywhere. It really was a complete curfew.

Imagine driving through a city as large as Bangkok and there are no cars or people to be seen and no shops or businesses open and you're sitting on this one bus drinking beer..

Cool! :)

I agree with you, it ain't so bad, it's just an airport :)

Good brief synopsis of the myriad of problems besetting the "Showcase of Asia" or whatever other BS titles it's been bestowed to this airport resembling a giant Costco store.

Would personally add that is often uncomfortably warm, particularly on the upper floors, to the list.

I have traveled through the new airport from the first time it opened and have not had any problems. The one problem I had with my passport was taken care of by a very nice Immigration Supervisor and one of the many beautiful joung ladies that work there. As far as the long walk from plane to immigration, doesnt that get the circulation going after a twenty to twenty five hour trip. And talk about problems how about that Japanese airport that is worse than anything I have ever encountered in a Thailand Airport and I have passed through most of them. At this point in time I have no complaint with the new airport and hope that I never encounter any of the porblems that have been stated here.

I must say i hate the long, long walk from plane to pick up my bags - what genius thought of that one? and signage is terrible

Sorry, but have you never flown through Heathrow? The walk in Terminal 3 to/ from Thai Air ( always as far as possible ) is as long as at SB, and there are no travellators or luggage trolleys for the carry on bag. Not surprising though, as British public services are notoriously rubbish.

SB was pretty good till they moved the security check to immediately behind emmigration, instead of where it was designed to be.

As for the overpriced food, I buy a sandwich and whatever from Family Mart before exiting the public side, and there are water fountains ( free ) to get a drink from.

Yes, the WiFi situation is rubbish- why do I have to give my name and passport # to get a miserable 15 minutes of internet, then no plugs for the computer even if I want to pay the rip off for longer?

IMO, the too hot situation on the upper levels is due to the innapropriate roofing- what genius thought of that one? No doubt they will eventually replace the fabric with something better.

If there is a serious problem at SB, it is the inevitable ( TIT ) lack of maintenance, with ensuing deterioration of the facility.

Lastly, just what are they trying to prove by closing off the escalators? What a bunch of morons!

Riyadh airport- how I always dreaded going there. All the money in the world, and the airport was soooo BAD!

I wonder if they have public transport there yet? I once took a taxi driven by a saudi to save a few rials on the limos- worst taxi experience of my life!