Need Advice To Buy Home Cinema

Chaam local

I would like to buy a home cinema kit, something around 20,000 baht. I hardly ever watch movies, I'm more into music, but I like to watch concerts. Obviously I'm not very demanding (or else I would have a higher budget and I would buy separate elements, not a kit), but I need something with a good sound for all the family to enjoy: me watching concerts, the daughter singing karoke, and my wife saying "wow, it's like being in a real theater!". I'm sure you get the idea :)

So, I went to Home Pro, Index and a few other places, but you know the salesmen there, only interested in selling what they will get a percentage on, unable to answer simple questions (even in Thai), etc. They just turn the sound as loud as possible to show how "good" it is. I don't live in Bangkok and I don't think there are specialized shops close to where I live (Cha-am).

What I (think I) need is: a kit with a DVD (does it have to be Bluray?) and a 5.1 set speakers, with the 2 rear speakers being wireless, if possible. A USB plug to read MP3 from a USB key or MP3 player, and a mike plug for the daughter. My budget is flexible, could be up to 30 K if it's worth it.

Could someone please direct me to a specific brand or model? Or tell me what I should avoid, or simply what power I should be looking for? The room is 4m x 5m, 3 walls and an opening on the rest of the first floor (sound reverberates a little). I already have a TV (Samsung series 5 46").

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've had a Sony Home theatre for a few years now and am very happy with it. Easy to navigate menu's and a great choice in audio output. There is also a Samsung home theatre in the house I live in but it isn't a patch on the Sony for sound quality. For music and concerts you can't go wrong. It also has some nifty infra-red rear speakers so you don't have wires running everywhere :D

I also have a Sony home theatre system, which delivers commendable sound for its price bracket, c 12K

Since you mention listening to music rather than films, do you really need 5.1 ?

A good quality amp with 2 speakers will give you much better sound for your money

than a similar priced 5.1 system

Thank you for your input. I was looking at Samsung and Philips, but I will now look at Sony products too.

Since you mention listening to music rather than films, do you really need 5.1 ?

A good quality amp with 2 speakers will give you much better sound for your money than a similar priced 5.1 system

Actually the 5.1 system is for the family living room, that's why I would also like to know about the possibilities of adding other devices, like a mike or karaoke system, video game etc. Is it possible with most systems, especially Sony systems?

I also plan to buy an amp and two speakers to listen to music in another room, but that will be quite different, with a higher budget, serious research beforehand (probably including another post here!) and time spent in Bangkok testing the systems in proper listening conditions. But for now I just need something that the whole family can enjoy.

Oh, guys... don't tell my wife about the higher budget, ok? :lol:

Edited by Chaam local

Samsung have a promotion on for HT-c5530w for 19,990 wireless speakers bluray player. I think you will find it will do everything you want. check it out good luck.

when i was looking at sony the only one that had all was the HT-sf470. I now have LG hooked up to my WDTV by optical cable and the movies with DTS are awesome.

I dunno know if this info helps.

Edited by astral
No need to quote the entire post. Just pick out the relevant points, please - Astral

I went back to the shops today and shortlisted two systems: Philips HTS-5550 (14,000 THB) and Sony DAV-DZ910W (21,000 THB). Both have wireless rear speakers, plug for a microphone, USB etc. I don't know which one to choose because I read good reviews about the Philips and it seems to have interesting features. I didn't find much information about the Sony, I couldn't even download the manual. I listened to both of them and I did like the sound of the Sony, but I was not in good listening conditions.