Islands Near Pattaya

supaprik

After having been to most of the islands down South I am wondering if any of the islands around Chon Buri and Pattaya area are worth a visit( not Rayong area ). I see very mixed reviews and would like to know other members thoughts and ideas, Thinking of staying somewhere for 5 nights this month and just need a CLEAN sandy beach that is quiet for a break from the usual Bangkok/Pattaya days and nights...

Cheers :D

Edited by supaprik

Depends what you're looking for and how fussy you are. I recently spent the day on Koh Si Chang, the island off Si Racha. Very pleasant day out. The far islands out from Pattaya are owned by the navy so you can't overnight there but they have the quietest beaches and the best water. Koh Larn, just off Pattaya is the biggest and has the most accommodation options, but is also fairly crowded. You could spend a day on a diving or snorkelling boat, hire a fast boat to visit the outer islands or a slow boat to do some fishing.

My recommendation would be to base yourself in the idyllic seaside resort of Pattaya and explore the islands by day from there.

I prefer the beach call Saikaew, its the first main one, and the sand is very soft, also you can walk to other beaches, there are bars open at night and restaurants set up on the beach. Accommodation is not cheap any more,a nice bungalow with aircon will be B2500ish. No recommends on a place, have a look at the usual booking sites and pick something you fancy. There are ATM's and one 7/11 in the little main town, which is easily walkable from Saikaew

the idyllic seaside resort of Pattaya

Sounds nice. How do I get there from the Pattaya I'm in?

Easy. Step into the first bar you come to, consume as much alcohol as you can afford and when you walk out the door again you'll find yourself in the idyllic beach resort of Pattaya.

Ref. another post, would like to point out that the OP specifically asked for "Islands Near Pattaya....(not Rayong area)" which would pretty much exclude Koh Samet.

I do love samet but getting xxxz,sai kaew is easy but jeps seem to get a little body wave when in season.

koh larn [siam beach] again depending on the season has a little body wave ,i take the boggey board for the kids and have had a ball,the back side of koh larn is dead calm,cordened off for swimmers if u get ferry from front side u can get m/bike or b/bus to take u anywhere on island or u get ferry to back side of island,u have to check bali hai for times and where they go.

cat

Ko Samet is very nice. Me and my friends stayed there for 3 days, during the Tsunamin in 2004 actually. Lucky last minute travel plans change from what was going to be Phuket!

Booked through one of the outdoor kiosk travel agents, on second road. Not far from KISS restaurant. Minivan picked us up and drove us the 1.5 hours or so south. Took a ferry over to the island. At the "dock" transferred to a small flat barge like thing that actually got us to the shore. Don't wear your high heels.

Stayed in southeast side of island, Malibu resort. Very nice. About 7 or 8 small basically single story hotels along the beach. No roads. My friend rented a bike and tried the dirt roads inland a bit and said it really was not passable for your average little rental with your girlfriend on back. At night, each hotel put out a barbecue. You pick your fish, chicken, and what not and they grill it up. Rice and all the side stuff too. dam_n it was great. Sitting right out on the beach in the chairs. Really was a nice little trip.

Had the usual massage options on the beach. We each had our own girls with us. No nightlife on this part of the island. You would have to go up to the bigger city for that. There was a pool table and a bar, but basically bring your own friend, although the young lady that seemed to be the daughter or english speaking Thai partner was a stunner. During the day, the food was fine. All the basic Thai menu items served on decent outdoor table and chair and umbrella settings.

We took a half day snorkel trip around the island. 6 of us on the boat. We stopped for about 1/2 hour at 2 for sure, maybe 3 different spots. The dive sights were not that colorful. Kind of drab actually. Definitely not brilliant colors and stuff that you see on National Geographic. A bit too much human encroachment I think. Did see some flora and flora down there, but it was a bit of a dissapointment.

Room was fine. Basic AC, TV etc. This hotel even had a pool. Did notice that near sunset, if you were inland a bit from the Sea, sitting outside our rooms, there were a lot of very fat and hungry mosquitos. That was the only time in my 10 trips any bugs bit me that I am aware of. Probably living right on the edge of the jungle. No problem in the room or during the day or at night down by the water.

Try to visit when the moon is out or even full. We were there during a full moon and it really was beautiful.

Water was fine for swimming. Had some hammocks and chairs around for reading and sunning during the day. They did sometimes tend to play the disco music too loud during two of the days. A bit more noise than we wanted. I am sure we could have had them turn it down if we pressured them a bit.

I recommend Ko Samet for sure.

Koh Chang, it takes all morning to get there but its big with lots to see. There is a bar area but most advise to BYO girl. I liked White Sand Beach, lots of bungalows as well as more upscale accom if you wish.

KohKood is further out but I hear its nice.

Koh Si Chang is nice but 5 days might be a little long, its quite small.

Koh Chang, it takes all morning to get there but its big with lots to see. There is a bar area but most advise to BYO girl. I liked White Sand Beach, lots of bungalows as well as more upscale accom if you wish.

KohKood is further out but I hear its nice.

Koh Si Chang is nice but 5 days might be a little long, its quite small.

Koh Kood is way smaller than Koh Chang & is a 1 dayer at best ...Unless you are going to get away from it all. We spent 3 days there a couple years back & got eaten alive by sand fleas. The rooms were awesome , just really rat infested. Koh Chang on the Lonely beach side have many internationals to play if your looking for action & you can find company for the night anywhere in Thailand..... None for me with my gal & Mia Nois of any sort not on the menu!

Koh Samet has some decent bungalows for 1000 baht -Probably 1200 baht now . Its been a while that I have been there. Next to Jeps (going towards Malibu side there is a great set of bungalows with air con for was a 1000 baht a night probably a bit more now that had 3 times the size of Jeps cracker boxes & was a little more quiet. I prefer Koh Chang by a long shot. No fees for the state park & you have options.

I agree white sands beach is nice, we usually stay at lonely but spend time at the white sands beach & putt around on the rented scooters & take in the scenery! A nice change from city life for sure. Going to Koh Chang in April ......Can't wait! If you rent a motorbike there pay attention to the road & try not to get distracted.Pretty easy to wreck if your not paying attention to the steep curves while driving( Not for you Johhny, But for any newbies cruising this island) Koh Kood rent a bike if you are experienced rider regarding rough roads!

Enjoy the islands...still one of Thailand's best treasured resources!

Edited by Beardog

• 1 year later...

Hi there, I know this is an old forum but was looking round some islands to do daily visiting on google earth and noticed the islands near the v=naval base do look like they could be nice to visit, my question noting that it was mentioned there are no overnight stays on these islands, but how about daily trips in your own tinny? Also one reason I am interested is to do some shallow fun diving there. Are there restrictions to go to and whatever on these islands, does anyone know?

Thanks

Hi there, I know this is an old forum but was looking round some islands to do daily visiting on google earth and noticed the islands near the v=naval base do look like they could be nice to visit, my question noting that it was mentioned there are no overnight stays on these islands, but how about daily trips in your own tinny? Also one reason I am interested is to do some shallow fun diving there. Are there restrictions to go to and whatever on these islands, does anyone know?

Thanks

By 'shallow fun diving' do you mean snorkeling or scuba?

Thanks

Some of the islands are totally off limits to go onshore. Others require a fee. Local dive boats do visit many of these islands on their trips. You can also hire a boat to take you there and the captain will know the rules...hopefully.

I'd just like to comment on Koh Chang as a getaway island destination for Pattaya residents.

I was really looking forward to going there earlier this month for the first time and hired a car; drove from Jomtien and was on the island after lunch.

Stayed at a cheap place close to the ferry teminal for 500Baht and that was fine.

Next day drove the whole east coast to Bang Bao and had seafood lunch on the pier which was nice although same prices and menu as the places on Walking Street.Getting there and back was hair raising dodging all the helmetless (brainless) farangs speeding around the steep roads. The whole coast is so built out that you never see the coastline at all except from the public lookout place.We searched for a place to take in the famous beaches and could only find one access way squeezed between two resorts on White Sands beach. Finding a car park was as difficult as Jomtien & the beach was crammed with the same people as Jomtien too, although the patches of sand between the bodies were nice and the water was clear it's not what I like at all for my bi-monthly beach fix. Maybe better in the low season & certainly handy if you can't stay more than 100 meters from a 7/11 or a beer bar. We checked out next morning and drove back to Chantaburi's Laem Sing area. The water's not as clear but the beaches are clean and none of the Farang (or Thai) crowds, also the fishing is better.

I would avoid Koh Samet too , for the same reasons as I am dissapointed in Koh Chang.

• 1 month later...

For those who replied thanks for your thoughts appreciated.

Yeah shallow fun dives can also be fun dont always need to dive deep and dark. Diving in my books is what you make of it at times. (Yes SCUBA)

Eventually after settling in I and my Missus will start looking into somewhere where we can actually try something different. Start a man made reef ;)

Cheers again for your comments