Breaking News About Thailand

Richard Hall

Due to the unability to post under the news clipping category which would be more appropriate for obvious reasons this posting eventually ended up in this section. Anyone with the power to shift please feel invited to do so.

- The correct spelling of Thailand’s prime minister’s name is Thaksin.

- The capital of Thailand is Bangkok and not Sin City.

- The Thai government has the means and the right to establish new regulations any time if they feel those will benefit the nation and the people.

- Sexual encounters with underage persons is a serious crime.

- A country can declare a passports of one of their citizens invalid if they consider the measure appropriate but on the other hand the concerned person can sue the government if he/she feels the act was not justified.

- Decent and appropriate behaviour in a foreign country will significantly increase the chances of keeping out of trouble.

- Obey the laws or bear the responsibilty for not doing so.

- Playing with fire will eventually get you burnt.

- Punishments for criminal offences in Asia are quite often severely harsher than in the Westen world.

Learn and memorise the above before packing your suitcase.

Welcome to Thailand!

No I agree with the Doctor :D

so many people come here with the idea that the country is open to abuse of all kinds. maybee 20 years ago, but DEFINATLEY not so today.

BEHAVE, show some RESPECT and you will be fine, MISSBEHAVE and you will find yourself in very deep shit. (if you get caught :o )

Edited by ThaiPauly

No I agree with the Doctor :D

so many people come here with the idea that the country is open to abuse of all kinds. maybee 20 years ago, but DEFINATLEY not so today.

BEHAVE, show some RESPECT and you will be fine, MISSBEHAVE and you will find yourself in very deep shit. (if you get caught :o )

Not even Forty years ago, beleive me, the faces may change, but the rules remain the same! :D

Due to the unability to post under the news clipping category which would be more appropriate for obvious reasons
Really? Who made you the Hall Monitor?

German national living and working in Bangkok

Oh I see.

<Can scarcely believe Dr Patpong's brown-nosing here in post #2 !>

Due to the unability to post under the news clipping category which would be more appropriate for obvious reasons

I think he means that he is not able to create a new post in the News Clippings section. I just tried it myself and was denied.

I think he means that he is not able to create a new post in the News Clippings section. I just tried it myself and was denied.

Well its not a news clipping, thus shouldnt be in said area! :o

So lets recap then...

- The correct spelling of Thailand’s prime minister’s name is Thaksin, but those that know him call him Toxin Shitwalla (when out of ear shot).

- The capital of Thailand is NOT Bangkok NOR Sin City, but Krungthep (actually it is Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit - but lets not be predantic).

- The Thai government has the means and the right to establish new regulations any time if they feel those will benefit the nation and the people. Or, more likely, in the best interests of their bank accounts - whether illogical, impossible or complete BS.

- Sexual encounters with underage persons is a serious crime. Unless you have enough money or are Thai and related to the child in question - in which case it is a misdemenour.

- A country can declare a passports of one of their citizens invalid if they consider the measure appropriate but on the other hand the concerned person can sue the government if he/she feels the act was not justified. [Oh good for them - how does this fit in with the rest of these - erm - points]

- Decent and appropriate behaviour in a foreign country will significantly increase the chances of keeping out of trouble. Purple persuaders (500 Baht notes) significantly decrease your chances of being prosecuted.

- Obey the laws or bear the responsibilty [would 'cost' be a better word than 'responsibility'?] for not doing so.

- Playing with fire will eventually get you burnt. Not playing with fire will eventually get you dieing of hypothermia

- Punishments for criminal offences in Asia are quite often severely harsher than in the Westen world. Though bribes are inversly proportional - i.e. cheaper

Thanks for clearing that up..

oh, you missed...

- Putting towels on pool side seating/loungers the night before in order to reserve the seat you are not actually using yet the following day, is reason enough for you to be hung up by your own intestines.

Germanists should remember that yes there are 'Ze rules', but we all also have certain fundamental Human Rights as individuals.

...Like not being tossed in the back of a truck in Southern Thailand and suffocated just for demonstrating.

...Or forced into ill-fitting, pastel colored suits sporting small moustaches.

Edited by The_Eye_Of_Sauron

Germanists should remember that yes there are 'Ze rules',  but we all also have certain fundamental Human Rights as individuals.

...Like not being tossed in the back of a truck in Southern Thailand and suffocated just for demonstrating.

...Or forced into ill-fitting, pastel colored suits sporting small moustaches.

Ouch! :o

Edited by britmaveric