130 M16s, Other Guns Stolen From Thai Army Depot

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How the hell can the weapons go missing, surely they have an Armoury?

Beano,

It is not commonly known, but a similar burglary was accomplished in the 1960's from a Thai Airbase that was used by US personnel. Thai Guards on the perimeter, roving patrols in Jeeps, weapons locked under the traditional US Military '3 levels of security' - meaning locked heavy duty gate, locked building doors and interieor secure storage locked (often a vault). The weapons were stolen during a disturbance on the perimeter of the base and not noticed until the following morning...

Meaning: Locks are used to make us feel secure. Average folks won't break the law, but crooks or 'enemy militants' don't care...

What puzzles me is that many folks report that guns are plentiful in Tak, where refugees sell them cheap...

So, why steal them..?? Theft from a secure location is quite difficult and/or dangerous, unless you have an inside man.

Meaning perhaps they were not "stolen", but removed to pass blame to someone else

Edited by dighambara

and they want to build a Nuclear Power Plant.:wacko:

The Isaan Farmers group, an extremist splinter group, of the red shirt movement are believed to be behind the disappearance of a number of uranium rods. When pressed on the issue Abhisit replied " We have to believe they have ill intentions and a 'dirty bomb' is possible. Our intelligence shows they have the tecnology down on the farm to make this a real threat"

Those poor IFG people, must be down with radiation poisoning by now. Blame the government with it's British oppressor PM. Yet another crime against humanity to be reported to the ICC

Will not work - some are more human than others, and anyway Thailand does not sign treaties protecting humanity.

Here we go.....Reds stole them right? gives the illegitimate government an excuse to shoot innocents again, next major protest watch the blood in the streets..... sadly.....

What a crock you write, most likely scenario they were sold, money talks in th LOS

Most likely you are right, but is there really a contradiction here? It is all about money, but do not forget power.

The Thai army is not able to keep track of their weapons, buys black magic mine detectors and defective air fortresses.

General: But 'we did not carry AK47 on the day that the Japanese cameraman was killed'

DSI/Abhisit: YES SIR!!! IF YOU SAY SO SIR! YOU MUST BE INNOCENT SIR!!!

If the Thai military can't even secure a personal weapons how on gods earth will they ever protect the country?

I don't think it fair or even logical, to make your comment above based on this one incident. I find it amazing that given the state of this economy and the current cost of food and living now, along with the "many issues" faced by all the hundreds of thousands of low paid military personnel throughout Thailand along with the rest of the general population, that many more such thefts/disappearances are not even more common. From long discussions with a few of my friends here who are now in the Thai military, of whom 2 are very well educated officers from good families who are in their late 40s, I think the Thai armed forces, are in general, apart from the traditional inter-branch rivalry found in most armed forces of any country, to be a very well co-ordinated, organized and maintained force who are protecting this country quite well - even so far a field away as Somalia, where they did a very good job of ridding us of some "

" that our "great Western Navies" had not been able to catch - despite and especially given the "by western standards" restricted budget they have to operate under - they seem to be well trained and staffed and all have in general, a good high level of morale and preparedness, despite the political uncertainty present at the moment, that must be felt by all Thais and especially those in the Armed Forces. I have no love for the "Red Shirts" or any of the groups of whingers, rabble rouses etc. these days, who are doing their best for their political backers, to bring down this - or any Government not led by Taksin - along with any "good people" who may work for the Government for the good of their country. Does anyone here actually know, what the total approximate 'financial' cost(how to calculate stress and suffering?) to the country in the last year has been because of these groups? I also include in this "cost" the loss of 1000s of tourists and businessmen that those "yellow people" who closed down the airport caused, or who were frightened away to other countries because of them. Despite what I have just written though, I still fully believe, that in any country, if an issue or problem that affects the lives and living conditions of the people can't be given to, or isn't being addressed by a government, that all people should have the right to peacefully protest, so as to bring their issue to the greater Public's notice, there by putting pressure on that Government, regime etc. to implement change for the better for all. Such action should not though, interrupt (blocking of roads etc.) or interfere with the lives of other people , nor cause hardship to any not in the protest (like burning down shopping centers), nor should that action ever be the cause for loss of innocent life ever. One exiled businessman who has been found guilty of a crime here and who has arrest warrants out for him on criminal charges, terrorism and human rights abuses, does not justify the single loss of life of any person. Even his/the reds "blackshirt gunmen" were killed themselves and murdered people because of a deception/political ploy - too because a few were simply just "killers". Until we have proof. I don't think that this"theft of guns" should be put on any "red-shirts" or whatever color. It is more likely because of greed or even necessity.

If the Thai military can't even secure a personal weapons how on gods earth will they ever protect the country?

I don't think it fair or even logical, to make your comment above based on this one incident. I find it amazing that given the state of this economy and the current cost of food and living now, along with the "many issues" faced by all the hundreds of thousands of low paid military personnel throughout Thailand along with the rest of the general population, that many more such thefts/disappearances are not even more common. From long discussions with a few of my friends here who are now in the Thai military, of whom 2 are very well educated officers from good families who are in their late 40s, I think the Thai armed forces, are in general, apart from the traditional inter-branch rivalry found in most armed forces of any country, to be a very well co-ordinated, organized and maintained force who are protecting this country quite well - even so far a field away as Somalia, where they did a very good job of ridding us of some "

" that our "great Western Navies" had not been able to catch - despite and especially given the "by western standards" restricted budget they have to operate under - they seem to be well trained and staffed and all have in general, a good high level of morale and preparedness, despite the political uncertainty present at the moment, that must be felt by all Thais and especially those in the Armed Forces. I have no love for the "Red Shirts" or any of the groups of whingers, rabble rouses etc. these days, who are doing their best for their political backers, to bring down this - or any Government not led by Taksin - along with any "good people" who may work for the Government for the good of their country. Does anyone here actually know, what the total approximate 'financial' cost(how to calculate stress and suffering?) to the country in the last year has been because of these groups? I also include in this "cost" the loss of 1000s of tourists and businessmen that those "yellow people" who closed down the airport caused, or who were frightened away to other countries because of them. Despite what I have just written though, I still fully believe, that in any country, if an issue or problem that affects the lives and living conditions of the people can't be given to, or isn't being addressed by a government, that all people should have the right to peacefully protest, so as to bring their issue to the greater Public's notice, there by putting pressure on that Government, regime etc. to implement change for the better for all. Such action should not though, interrupt (blocking of roads etc.) or interfere with the lives of other people , nor cause hardship to any not in the protest (like burning down shopping centers), nor should that action ever be the cause for loss of innocent life ever. One exiled businessman who has been found guilty of a crime here and who has arrest warrants out for him on criminal charges, terrorism and human rights abuses, does not justify the single loss of life of any person. Even his/the reds "blackshirt gunmen" were killed themselves and murdered people because of a deception/political ploy - too because a few were simply just "killers". Until we have proof. I don't think that this"theft of guns" should be put on any "red-shirts" or whatever color. It is more likely because of greed or even necessity.

Do not forget that many ex senior military are red shirts and still have a lot of clout, even in retirement. B)

Do not forget that many ex senior military are red shirts and still have a lot of clout, even in retirement. B)

Good point....

Here we go.....Reds stole them right? gives the illegitimate government an excuse to shoot innocents again, next major protest watch the blood in the streets..... sadly.....

Last year the reds kicked off their antics precisely by throwing bottles of blood in the streets. Red innocents? The only regret from some is that they would like to have another go. Under the guidance and leadership of course from the exiled convicted criminal Thaksin.

I was in the U.S. Army for 20 years and never saw weapons stolen. It's easier to get into a bank than the weapons room on a U.S. military base.

True, but you forget this is thailand and they are thia army?///

Google "US military weapons missing" or scroll up in the thread ---- you can probably do the same for any country.

UK

MoD has 'lost' 165 pistols, rifles and machine guns... and 27,000 rounds of ammunition

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER

Last updated at 1:12 PM on 2nd March 2009

More than 165 pistols, rifles and machine guns have been lost by or stolen from the Armed Forces in the past three years.

Figures obtained using the Freedom of Information Act also show that more than 27,000 bullets have gone missing during the same period.

http://www.dailymail...ammunition.html

Forget that, have a guess how many nukes the Americans have lost (that they will admit to publicly)?

So this should be somekind of news :blink:

Wow, knowing and seeing how things go everyday in Thailand and this is THE big news?

Few hundred rifles into the black market and some extra money to the back pocket, someone

would say that it's a good deal.

There might be easier ways to get rifles if think about red shirts and their possible need

or who ever have idea to use them.

The market is already in Thailand, so why not to think that people use as a way to get money?

Anyway, let's hope that there is no big bangs during สงกรานต์ :jap:

We have seen it far too much, so I hope to see some peaceful times and land of smiles...

I have a dream... B)