90 Day Reporting

The below para 5 of section 37 of the immigration laws of Thailand is the direct reason.

Section 37: An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following: 

1.  Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General or competent official deputized by the Director General. If, in any case, there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter, the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned. 

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division, in writing, concerning his place of stay, as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office, the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of (3) and (4) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section, the alien may make notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official, in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General.

ok, thanks.  But why?

Just imagine, you lose your purse with cash inside and your name but no address.

They can find you immediately and return everything to you. :o

OK, jokes aside, I have no problem with this, as the same laws are applied back home and, I believe, are as well valid for Thais in Thailand.

There are many reasons. Foreigners should be supervised while staying here, (not that anybody would do so), local citizens report their residence inorder to be registered for elections, tax, social insurances etc. Foreigners come under the same rules, however, the generally permitted stay does not exceed 90 days, for this reason those staying longer should report.

Bureaucratic? Perhaps.

The reason is so that immigration knows the location of every alien in the country.

Don't forget that you must make additional reports if you leave house for more than 24 hours

Hang on, excuse my ignorance, but am I right in thinku#ing that I should have notified the Thai authorities of my address when I arrived in Thailand and should confirm it every 90 days?

No-one told me I had to do this! :o

I lived on Samui for three months and then came to BKK where I have been ever since. I never told anyone where I was, so should I do this now?

And if I don't what would happen to me? :D

The reason is so that immigration knows the location of every alien in the country.

Don't forget that you must make additional reports if you leave house for more than 24 hours

Hang on, excuse my ignorance, but am I right in thinku#ing that I should have notified the Thai authorities of my address when I arrived in Thailand and should confirm it every 90 days?

No-one told me I had to do this! :o

I lived on Samui for three months and then came to BKK where I have been ever since. I never told anyone where I was, so should I do this now?

And if I don't what would happen to me? :D

You are not here on an extension of stay so you never exceed 90 days within Thailand. The clock starts again on each entry so border runners do not have to worry about the 90 day reporting. When/if you ever get that work permit and extension of stay you will need to start this 90 day reporting.

Whoops! I wasn't aware of the Para 4 requirement. I frequently sortie out of BKK to the Provinces often for several days at a time before returning to my registered address. I stay with friends or own (wife's) property. Strange that the Captain of police in the Amphoe that I stay has never asked why I never report to his office!

I'm sure that I am not the only one.

I shall soon be transferring abode from BKK to Hua Hin so I note that I shall need to report the changeof address to the local police station as well as Immigration Office.

The below para 5 of section 37 of the immigration laws of Thailand is the direct reason.
Section 37: An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following: 

1.  Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General or competent official deputized by the Director General. If, in any case, there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter, the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned. 

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence, within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division, in writing, concerning his place of stay, as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office, the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of (3) and (4) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section, the alien may make notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official, in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Just wondering how many do or don't comply with the reporting rules of Para 4 (reporting to the local police when you're in a different location for 24+ hours) - e.g. if you go away for the weekend? A week?

Further thought: if you stay in a hotel/guesthouse, does that effectively deal with the reporting requirement when you sign in?

ok, thanks.  But why?

Cause in one way or another, the Thai government requires all people within the kingdom, both citizens and non-citizens, to have a registered place of abode.

For Thai citizens and PR's, this is accomplished through the Tabieen Baan (House Book) system.

For foreigners, this is acheived through immigration reporting.

The original motive for this has probably been long lost in the sands of time, but I believe that the Thai system of law and administration generally reflects those of countries like France, so perhaps we can ask a frenchman in out midst.

I have a friend wwho was hassled by the police in his village everytime he went to Bangkok. He had to tell them exactly where he was going and for how long.

Shit, I will have to tell them that I leave home for 48 hours every week.

Do they need this in writing?

Further thought: if you stay in a hotel/guesthouse, does that effectively deal with the reporting requirement when you sign in?

My GUESS is yes, but that includes a bit of wishful thinking as I cannot be bothered to go to the police station everyday when I go touring.

Any comments, Lopburi ?

My GUESS is yes, but that includes a bit of wishful thinking as I cannot be bothered to go to the police station everyday when I go touring.

Any comments, Lopburi ?

This is currently targeted to providers of accommodations and even the smaller places should be reporting your stay now (athough if with a Thai they seem to ignore the foreigner). It seems only those with bad luck are currently hassled about a day or two on the farm but as incidents happen strict enforcement sometimes trickles down - but it seems to quickly take a lower priority.

Edited by lopburi3

I can understand the need for addresses on TM cards and also hotels/ guesthouses registering visitors as proof of where any person is staying.

But to leave that registered address for 24 hours and have to contact the local authorities is a bit much if you're staying with family/friends in their house. I've done it loads of times. And then have returned to HH before 90 days. If it's longer than that, I'll have to have made another visa run anyway, so details on the new TM card would have been changed.

Ok, if I left Hua Hin and went to Chiang Mai to live, I can see the need for registration in the latter. At the end of the day, it may benefit me if anything bad happens - an accident etc.

OK, rules are rules, but I can't imagine that these are strictly enforced. Before I got married a couple of months ago, the only office that ever insisted on my full address was Suan Plu when applying for an extension. Any other immigration ofice was happy with me just entering Hua Hin.

This may be a little off topic but mai ben rai

Soon I will have to do my first 90 day report and have arranged to be in BKK after a 10 day trip up north, will ask my host about reporting, and am wondering first where to report. The paper I have says immigration at Tanon Sathon tai but I see Suan Plu mentioned (I have a bkk map)

Second do I just walk in, I assume there are forms to be filled in,

Third what is the cost.

My 90 days are up on a weekend so I plan to report on the previous Thursday, any problems with this

Robby

This may be a little off topic but mai ben rai

Soon I will have to do my first 90 day report and have arranged to be in BKK after a 10 day trip up north, will ask my host about reporting, and am wondering first where to report. The paper I have says immigration at Tanon Sathon tai but I see Suan Plu mentioned (I have a bkk map)

Second do I just walk in, I assume there are forms to be filled in,

Third what is the cost.

My 90 days are up on a weekend so I plan to report on the previous Thursday, any problems with this

Robby

1. Soi Suan Plu is a side street of South Sathon Road, just after the Oz Embassy.

2. You just walk in to the information desk and tell them what you want to do. You fill out a short form (TM.47) and receive a queue number at a desk number and proceed there. Listen for your number to be called as lights often do not operate.

3. There is no cost.

4. Don't forget to have your passport with you.

Two questions re the 90 day thing if anyone may know the answers I would be appreciative.

A year or 2 ago, many people I knew never ever reported for the 90 day notice and they never got in the shitter for it. One reason I was told is that if you never report for the 90 day thing the first time, they never bother, never know etc and I knew guys who went for years and possibly still are going like this, not reporting.

The other thing was they said that if you did report the first time, then you had to continue with it.

Does anyone know the facts on this, I have my first 90 day report coming up in a week or so and really if you can get away with it, could not be bothered.

Secondly does the actual person have to attend or can you send someone in to do it for you. I also remember employess that used to get staff to do all this immigration stuff for them and they never set foot in the immigration offices themselves.

Just wondering if this is all still possible or have things really tightened up and it simply does not happen anymore.

One thing for sure is I will not be reporting for the 24hr one.

I have done several 90 day reportings by mail.

But I have heard they may discontinue this option so check around.

When I did it last in person a month ago, no one ever asked me anything.

Anyone with my passport could have gone to the window and

waited for the new stub from the 90 Day reporting form at the right

desk/window.

It is possible they checked my photo when I did not notice, but

I do not think so. So I think anyone can do it for you.

It only takes about 30 minutes so if you can get to Suan Plu down

on Satorn, it is easy. And again, mailing in copies of the key pages of your

passport, signed and dated, with a self addressed stamped envelope for the

return slip is also easy.

Cheers

Two questions re the 90 day thing if anyone may know the answers I would be appreciative.

A year or 2 ago, many people I knew never ever reported for the 90 day notice and they never got in the shitter for it. One reason I was told is that if you never report for the 90 day thing the first time, they never bother, never know etc and I knew guys who went for years and possibly still are going like this, not reporting.

The other thing was they said that if you did report the first time, then you had to continue with it.

Does anyone know the facts on this, I have my first 90 day report coming up in a week or so and really if you can get away with it, could not be bothered.

Secondly does the actual person have to attend or can you send someone in to do it for you. I also remember employess that used to get staff to do all this immigration stuff for them and they never set foot in the immigration offices themselves.

Just wondering if this is all still possible or have things really tightened up and it simply does not happen anymore.

One thing for sure is I will not be reporting for the 24hr one.

Ninety day reporting used to be located upstairs in a back corner and had little contact with other sections. It is now located front and center on the main floor. I would highly advise reporting as the possible penalty has just been increased so would take these as a sign. If you plan to stay here long term it just makes no sense not to pay the game by the rules.

You don't have to go in person, anybody can do for you with

p/port and form in hand.

Myself never did it, as I never stay 90 days or more. However, I do it for my wife, either every 90 days or 90 days after another return to LOS.

(She is on an annual permit to stay, dependent to me)

First time we called the imm. office, had a mis-understanding as they thought did not report on time. Suggested over the phone not to come now, as they must issue a fine, but to come 90 days after next re-entry.

Friendly people in deed.