Pro Bike Bagkog

Snails

Hello just coming back from probike in bangkog. Well looks very "pro" but i feel differend. They like to represent them selfs like very busy in most important task, they charge me labour fee for changing rim 200thb and the work looks terible, cant set my V brake on it. worse work i never saw. sorry, you may have a better experience? But i feel duty to report here. Pro with un profesional servis. But, need to apologize to other staff actualy i am angry just for the"" probably head mechanic" He is who figure very superior. Yeah exactly, becouse we needed just replace old rim for new one. and not to buy an expencive bike, but ............ i say there is more bike shops in Bangkog who will be happy to help me nextime.

Lets always good wind blow to you back.

Hi Snails, sorry can’t really comment on probike, no experience with them, but had a recent set-to with a bike shop in Chiangmai. I don’t really want to name them because they have always been very good in the past, and maybe this was a one off…………..But I will not use them again.

I took a rear wheel to then, needed new bearings, “no problem” they said, Ok great! I go back that afternoon, they tell me they can’t get the bearings, they told me to get the bearings and they will fit! I told them if I get the bearings why I need them; I’ll fit myself, it’s not rocket science, further more I was also going to spend 5 or 6000 Baht on bits and bobs, but forget it, I’ll take my wheel and spend my money somewhere else. “No no” he says we can fix……….I should have walked, to cut a long story short, next day I picked up the wheel and bought some stuff. That evening I went for a ride, came home, back wheel bearing….”Knackered” I went back next day to the shop, waste of time, like talking to the village idiot! I went to Top Gear in Chiang Moi Rd, They did a good job, I have used them before, should have stuck with them!

Rear hub…. Now knackered, the other shop, (the idiots) had been correct they did not have the right bearing; so they hammered in the wrong size destroying the hub and the bearings they were trying to fit, nobbers!

I’m seriously considering buying all the tools and doing the work myself, I’ve always resisted doing the work myself, cost and lacking in knowledge in some areas, but if this is the start of a trend, it could be a good option.

• 1 month later...

another Pro-bike store . . . just had a new bike put together for me at Pro-bike Chanthaburi and am impressed with the whole process; I've been riding a Specialized alloy/carbon tri bike but due to an ongoing shouilder problem have to give up on drop-down handlebars and go for a more upright riding style; their first suggestion was not to buy new but to re-build using existing frame and save a lot of $, the too many limitations I wanted to get away from 700x23 wheels as well.

Selected a Giant alloy frame and took it from there, got a much better than expected trade price on my road bike, even a credit on my spares (new, still wrapped) tyre and 3 tubes.

Rode in yesterday on the old one, went for a walk while they did final assembly and swapped my pedals over, rode home on a new bike.

• 3 weeks later...

Ten years ago when cycling wasn't popular in LOS, I used to frequent Probike, chatted with the owner, bought lots of stuff, got my bikes repaired, and generally had a great time with very friendly staff and owner.

Then as they became successful, their attitude changed and I found myself not really enjoying the experience of shopping there anymore. The owner didn't remember me despite that spent plenty there over the years (2-4 times per year, about as often as I pass through BK) and wasn't as nearly as friendly as before. Prices I thought were high, often much higher than normal retail prices in the US.

Funny as I used to buy stuff here and bring back to the states. Now I find that I buy stuff there to bring here :)

IMHO, I'm afraid Probike has gone hi-so.

Yep, that's the one.

To be fair to Probike, they do have most of everything you need, right down to the bearings and so on. I guess with the hi-so clients, comes the profit and the expected "attitude". Goes with the territory in any country. Plenty of stuck-up, bad attitude, high-end bike shops where I'm from as well. And I find that Probike mechanics (while aloof and curt) are better than the ones at Worldbike way out on RamIntra.

I'll check out PH's rec of bikezone next time.

Hey maxc where are they located? Is that the one beside Lumpini Park?

Bike Zone (web)

2nd Floor Outdoor Unlimited Zone, Amarin Plaza

Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan Tel. 026-521-558

GPS – N 13 44.621, E 100 32.483

ProBike Co., Ltd. (web)

237/2 Sarasin Road

Khwaeng Lumphini, Khet Pathum Wan

Tel. 022-533-384

GPS – N 13 44.078, E 100 32.416

Taken from BicycleThailand.com

Edited by PaulHamon

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't reply to the post when i first saw it because i hadn't been there for a while although i used to be a regular there. I went there on Thursday for the first time in about 18 months. As soon as i walked in they remembered my name and made me feel as welcome as always. I will find out on Monday when i collect my bike if they are still as good at servicing but so far they seem to be as good as they always were. If you had bad service i am sure it was just bad luck and if your wheel was improperly trued i am also sure had you taken it back they would have made it right.

• 1 month later...

We are operating a Bicycle Tour Company and got the first batch from Pro Bike in Bangkok. Got decent service and bikes. All Trek. When time came that we needed the second batch they weren't that helpful as we expected them to be plus a waiting time of 6-10 weeks. We have since changed to the Merida brand.

As for after service I give Pro Bike thumbs up! The mechanics come to us and service them here at the office and are very very good! Merida just hasnt got the people to do it.. But bikes are bikes so now Pro Bike is servicing both brands.

Yes Pro Bike has gone Hi-So and are very Busy. Its booming now in Bangkok!