Cost Of A Night Out

Dinner for 2, nice place -- 3k

Drinks and show --- 2k

Street food for one with 2 bottles of Chang from 7-11 130Baht

Go out alone and meet a nice girl --- start with the 5k listed first --- then add in the chance of your camera, phone, cc's, passport, laptop etc if you are drunk and stupid enough ;)

Not really as a response to this mail, but it got me to write, that i got robbed by some local ladyboys at a club.. They took my money, phone.. and my powder!!! thank god they left my lip gloss, I guess they didnt see that one in my bag. But anyway, from couple of beers from seven for starters... to couple of buckets in the bar (around 300 baht - buy one get one free in some bars).. usually takes about 1,000 baht for a night out. But as you're a guy, you might have to double that... (and sometimes i can lessen, hih.)

Edited by Goldenglow

Drinks and show --- 2k

Go out alone and meet a nice girl --- start with the 5k listed first --- then add in the chance of your camera, phone, cc's, passport, laptop etc if you are drunk and stupid enough ;)

Not really as a response to this mail, but it got me to write, that i got robbed by some local ladyboys at a club.. They took my money, phone.. and my powder!!! thank god they left my lip gloss, I guess they didnt see that one in my bag. But anyway, from couple of beers from seven for starters... to couple of buckets in the bar (around 300 baht - buy one get one free in some bars).. usually takes about 1,000 baht for a night out. But as you're a guy, you might have to double that... (and sometimes i can lessen, hih.)

So it's not only the guys that they screw - so to speak. Bad luck if this was a first-timer - generally the LBs bond with the females and take them under their wing, gaining (no doubt) face from being around a real woman. Bitch bout UR powder. (We talking face not nasal?)

R

Thanks for all the info. (although I'm not sure why msignh bothered to post). Apparently, the cost of drinks are not too bad, provided you don't buy them for the ladies (or looks-like-a-lady).:whistling:

As for scams, every place I've been too (over 42 countries), seem to have their own local 'rip-offs', that locals know how to avoid and tourists don't. I know you are not allowed to name places (bars, etc) to stay out of, but I'm sure many expats have learned the hardway some of the more common scams that abound on the island.

Cheers,

:jap: RickThai

The most universal scam and the hardest to hang on to is when 3 or 4 guys hit the bar. They have a drink each and buy two lady drinks. Then another round etc. Etc. Etc. And unless one of you has been keeping a running total, then none of you know what has been consumed, by whom, and at what price. Expect to have a big chunk of fantasy added to your final bill!

I was so incensed by this happening in one of the (old) round bars (FIVE long island teas on our bill from out of nowhere an extra 1,800B) that I paid the bill, went and got my big army jeep and drove in, rammed the bar and waited to be arrested.

Owner wanted 20,000B compensation. I said NO and that I would wait for my lawyer to fly in from BKK in the morning - where can I sleep please?

After 2 hours I agreed to pay 1,000B (for loss of face, more than anything else). I was most happy with that. AND - I went back for a drink the following night. Like it was normal and nothing had happened. Face deffo not lost!

R

Edited by robsamui

Thanks for all the info. (although I'm not sure why msignh bothered to post). Apparently, the cost of drinks are not too bad, provided you don't buy them for the ladies (or looks-like-a-lady).:whistling:

As for scams, every place I've been too (over 42 countries), seem to have their own local 'rip-offs', that locals know how to avoid and tourists don't. I know you are not allowed to name places (bars, etc) to stay out of, but I'm sure many expats have learned the hardway some of the more common scams that abound on the island.

Cheers,

:jap: RickThai

The most universal scam and the hardest to hang on to is when 3 or 4 guys hit the bar. They have a drink each and buy two lady drinks. Then another round etc. Etc. Etc. And unless one of you has been keeping a running total, then none of you know what has been consumed, by whom, and at what price. Expect to have a big chunk of fantasy added to your final bill!

I was so incensed by this happening in one of the (old) round bars (FIVE long island teas on our bill from out of nowhere an extra 1,800B) that I paid the bill, went and got my big army jeep and drove in, rammed the bar and waited to be arrested.

Owner wanted 20,000B compensation. I said NO and that I would wait for my lawyer to fly in from BKK in the morning - where can I sleep please?

After 2 hours I agreed to pay 1,000B (for loss of face, more than anything else). I was most happy with that. AND - I went back for a drink the following night. Like it was normal and nothing had happened. Face deffo not lost!

R

Seems to have killed the topic, then.

That's what you do when miffed - OK?

R

Drinks and show --- 2k

So it's not only the guys that they screw - so to speak. Bad luck if this was a first-timer - generally the LBs bond with the females and take them under their wing, gaining (no doubt) face from being around a real woman. Bitch bout UR powder. (We talking face not nasal?)

R

Definitely not a first timer in these bars or in samui.. but a first timer with the lady boys- they do screw anyone and everyone..