Possible To Get A *thai* Drivers License?

i used to hold a drivers license in my home country some years ago, which now expired since i was never using it in my country (was always abroad) and neither for over a year in Thailand. to get a new one, i'd have to renew it (including take some tests again) in my home country, which takes a few weeks.

so my question, is it possible to get a thai drivers license here? i wouldn't mind going through whatever tests they want me to take, but it seems like an easier option, if possible, than going to my home country for a few weeks. i currently hold a non-immigrant visa, but with no work permit (since i dont work in Thailand, honestly).

..and i assume the same license is needed for both motorbikes and cars?

ok, found the answer to my own question (again). one more though. i read it is indeed possible on a nonimmigrant visa, but do you need a work permit too? or a non-imm without work permit will do?

Got mine with a non-o, no work permit.

Should be no problem.

Let us know how the test is these days.

You need to sit the test, or try a driving school.

The driving school can tell you exactly what to do to pass the test.

You can see the driving schools, they are shop fronts with road symbols stuck all over them.

There is one near the corner of Rama 3 and Satu Pradit.

I have both Car and Motorbike, but I cahnged mine over. I didn't have a W/P but I did have a Non-O visa. I wasn't working at the time, so I had enough time to do those things.

No problem. You need proof of residence letter from immigration,doctors certificate, and 110 baht.

I have got both car and motorbike licence and they double as an identity card. .

proof of residence? is that in thailand or in your home country? since technically with a non-imm visa you dont really have 'residency' in thailand.

thanks for all your advice, didn't expect it so quickly :o

I got proof of residence done at the Immigration Office.

Got driver's licence on a non-O Visa.

Written exam with multiple choice.

Visual exam (peripheral vision) where you stick your chin on a device and they blink small lights on both sides, you have to tell them which colour blinked, red, green or yellow.

Another visual test is for depth. There are to uneven sticks in a box, one moves towards you and you have to press a brake pedal when you think they are aligned or side by side.

BEWARE! The english manuals I was given for the written exams had bad translation, very misleading. Some questions even had no possible correct answer.

For most of us, proof of residence was in the form of a document witnessed and notarized by our own embassy in Thailand that states what we claim as our Thai address.  So by proof, they mean something you swore under oath.

Belgian embassy refused to give me "certificate of residence in Thailand" because I still have legal adress in Belgium.

Phuket immigration gave me "receipt of notification" stating my thai adress, but refused due to "bad wording" by Chumpon administration

:o

I'll do with international drivers license :D

For most of us, proof of residence was in the form of a document witnessed and notarized by our own embassy in Thailand that states what we claim as our Thai address.  So by proof, they mean something you swore under oath.

Belgian embassy refused to give me "certificate of residence in Thailand" because I still have legal adress in Belgium.

Phuket immigration gave me "receipt of notification" stating my thai adress, but refused due to "bad wording" by Chumpon administration

:o

I'll do with international drivers license :D

A Belgian IDP might be a problem - i.e. doesn't Belgium issue the 3-year 1968? IDP, where Thailand only officially recognises the 1-year 1949 IDP...

Visual exam (peripheral vision) where you stick your chin on a device and they blink small lights on both sides, you have to tell them which colour blinked, red, green or yellow.

Another visual test is for depth. There are to uneven sticks in a box, one moves towards you and you have to press a brake pedal when you think they are aligned or side by side.

BEWARE!  The english manuals I was given for the written exams had bad translation, very misleading. Some questions even had no possible correct answer.

so driving a car isnt part of the test??, now why does that not supprise me :o

BEWARE!  The english manuals I was given for the written exams had bad translation, very misleading. Some questions even had no possible correct answer.

Actually it is, at least when I was tested several years ago. However it is far from a test of profeciency. Got into the car, drove forward about 10 meters, backed it up between two cones and it was done.

The written and driving tests are only required if you do NOT have a valid license from your home country. If you do, you only need take the eye and depth perception tests. You will be out in 1-2 hrs. Otherwise it is an all day affair.

The written and driving tests are only required if you do NOT have a valid license from your home country. If you do, you only need take the eye and depth perception tests. You will be out in 1-2 hrs. Otherwise it is an all day affair.

Forgot about that. Drove for about 3 years on an expired US license and decided to get a Thai license after buying a car and went through the full testing procedures. However the OP did say his was expired so the rules of testing apply.

Actually it is, at least when I was tested several years ago. However it is far from a test of profeciency. Got into the car, drove forward about 10 meters, backed it up between two cones and it was done.

does it matter if u hit the cones? :D

so driving a car isnt part of the test??, now why does that not supprise me :D

I did have to do the "road test" in a parking lot. They supplied a car, one set of lights working on the left only , front and back. Seemed to be ok as no right turns were involved. :D

The motorcycle "road test": Slapped on a supplied helmet on my noggin m, the styrofoam shell fell to the ground :o ...

Kicked started the motorcycle and the peg broke. You simply have to stay on the 4 meter long wood plank at low speed and not touch the asphalt.

• 4 months later...
ok, found the answer to my own question (again). one more though. i read it is indeed possible on a nonimmigrant visa, but do you need a work permit too? or a non-imm without work permit will do?

Hi,

So it is still not availabe to TOURIST VISA ?

But NON-O is easy to get, you just need a fake letter saying that you have interview in Thailand, and then you ask a NON-O in Penang?

Thanks for help!

I just went into the local motor registry armed with my passport/visa, proof of residency from Oz embassy, IDP, Oz driving licence and 100 odd baht and out came a car licence.

No requirement for test written or practical, no eye test, no doctors certificate, etc :o

When getting the passport photos taken we were told that if we fail to get a licence to come back to them armed with 1000 baht and they will organise one for me. Apparently this is the way that most of the thais up this way get their licence. This is more than obvious going by their driving skills

sure buy one at the local zip shop in Yah Wah Lat. I been using it since 1978 :D

Siracha John eat that :o

Wouldn't want one of those and get involved in a major wreck. Ins. co. could look for way to get out of paying and would not want to get deported for presenting a fake document to police.

Not a difficult process to be legal. Would you drive in your home country with a fake?

• 2 weeks later...

go to the emigration office for proof of residence with two recent foto's

(you get it free)

get a health certificate by a doctor, about 40 bath

no non O emigrant visa or work permit needed!

go to the office

do the colorblind, deph and reaction test.

do the written test (chinees, Japanees, English......) after looking the movie

very good quality and good spoken language......

these stories about bad accents are realy over... Thailand inprove....

Do the driving test.

very simple 5 minutes works..... driving backwards and acclivity test

and you have it....

Fake stories are over, about paying 1000 bath for a license!

Its only for one year...... you have to extend it later to 5 years.

for those who have already an international license

is only the colorblind, reaction test needed

cost 105 bath 20 bath for laminate your license and about 100 bath for the foto's

motor license 55 bath.....

Its also a id card so you go for Thai prices into museums ect.....

no farang prices!

AND DON"T FAKE it cost more and give you more trouble with a non valid license

even a lot of insurence companies don't pay out if you don't have a Thai license......

(you get it free)

go to the office

Do the driving test.

and you have it....

is only the colorblind, reaction test neededcost 105 bath 20 bath for laminate your license and about 100 bath for the foto's

no farang prices!

even a lot of insurence companies don't pay out if you don't have a Thai license......

That the way I did it last year and on this next visit will be back for my 5 year license.

Re the registration process..

we just visited the Head of Immigration in C.M who welcomed me as a new resident to our fair city and hoped that we (wife /me) would enjoy living there.(as it happened he was my mates cousin...all helps :o )

You then get your photo with address and individual details put in the BIG BOOK and you sign it to say you understand and accept that you are legally "there etc.".....although I am over here...never mind.....tit....and then it was all down to the driving office for the license.(1 year)

(you get it free)

go to the office

Do the driving test.

and you have it....

is only the colorblind, reaction test neededcost 105 bath 20 bath for laminate your license and about 100 bath for the foto's

no farang prices!

That the way I did it last year and on this next visit will be back for my 5 year license.

Re the registration process..

we just visited the Head of Immigration in C.M who welcomed me as a new resident to our fair city and hoped that we (wife /me) would enjoy living there.(as it happened he was my mates cousin...all helps :o )

You then get your photo with address and individual details put in the BIG BOOK and you sign it to say you understand and accept that you are legally "there etc.".....although I am over here...never mind.....tit....and then it was all down to the driving office for the license.(1 year)

I have a current UK license but my International one ran out 2 years ago (although any time I've been stopped they hadn't noticed). Decided I better get a Thai licence now after hearing insurance may be negated so does anyone know where to go in Nakhon Sawan to get a Thai driving license?