Chiang Mai Golf Festival

sticklee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gold Canyon Chiang Mai is now 600 + 250 caddy fee.

The course is in good condition.

How do i get to the course? Are there any simple to understand directions anywhere?! Anyone been who can tell me? I've been looking and no luck so far. Will be driving.

How do i get to the course? Are there any simple to understand directions anywhere?! Anyone been who can tell me? I've been looking and no luck so far. Will be driving.

South on Superhighway to Lamphum. Pass the Big C and go over the overpass to the next major intersection traffic lights. Right to the first major intersection, only about 300 yds or so. You will see a Gold Canyon sign before the intersection. Make a left turn, go about 13 km or so. The road is dead straight and where it begins to bend right you make a left hand turn. There is a new municipal building of some sort on the corner. Take for about 2-3 km, you will pass the course on the left. At the 'T' intersection turn left. The entrance is about 200yds or so, it's not sign posted but there is a concrete gateway structure. I played a week ago, 600B included caddy and that was Saturday. The course is excellent has has improved dramatically from 1 year ago. The Golf Festival price of 800B will also include food vouchers. I spoke with the pro/manager, Kevin, who speaks excellent English

South on Superhighway to Lamphum. Pass the Big C and go over the overpass to the next major intersection traffic lights. Right to the first major intersection, only about 300 yds or so. You will see a Gold Canyon sign before the intersection. Make a left turn, go about 13 km or so. The road is dead straight and where it begins to bend right you make a left hand turn. There is a new municipal building of some sort on the corner. Take for about 2-3 km, you will pass the course on the left. At the 'T' intersection turn left. The entrance is about 200yds or so, it's not sign posted but there is a concrete gateway structure. I played a week ago, 600B included caddy and that was Saturday. The course is excellent has has improved dramatically from 1 year ago. The Golf Festival price of 800B will also include food vouchers. I spoke with the pro/manager, Kevin, who speaks excellent English

Looks like we should take advantage of the current rates at Inthanon(Mon/Tues 500+cf) & Gold Canyon (600+cf) before they actually go up for the "golf festival" to 800 +cf.

Thanks sticklee, easy to understand directions! Playing on sunday, so good timing too!

Good to hear about the price which is what my mate saw on a poster. The 800 baht fee for the festival, does that include caddy fee too?

No.

As I said earlier the best deals are currently Inthanon & Gold Canyon.

More on the blog here:

ChiangmaiGolfCourses .com

Thanks sticklee, easy to understand directions! Playing on sunday, so good timing too!

Good to hear about the price which is what my mate saw on a poster. The 800 baht fee for the festival, does that include caddy fee too?

No.

More on the blog here:

But the thing was though that you said gold canyon was 600 baht plus caddy fee, when sticklee said it was including caddy fee which confirmed what my mate had told me. So i was unsure about the rest of your info!

The 600B I paid at Gold Canyon included caddy. During the Festival they will be including 200B restaurant voucher also.

So, the question remains! Will the golf festival price of 800 baht be for green fee and restaurant voucher, and then caddy fee extra or included? No worries, i shall be asking them tomorrow. Mucho looking forward to it, i love playing new courses not knowing what the next hole will reveal.

No.

More on the blog here:

But the thing was though that you said gold canyon was 600 baht plus caddy fee, when sticklee said it was including caddy fee which confirmed what my mate had told me. So i was unsure about the rest of your info!

600 + Caddy fee was the price we paid in March, apparently it changes regularly with the price now 600 including caddy fee or car/green fee/caddy fee 1000. They usually advise me of any changes so I can update info which I will now do.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy the course just somewhat of a journey to get there.

600 + Caddy fee was the price we paid in March, apparently it changes regularly with the price now 600 including caddy fee or car/green fee/caddy fee 1000. They usually advise me of any changes so I can update info which I will now do.

Anyway, I am sure you will enjoy the course just somewhat of a journey to get there.

I did enjoy it! I thought every hole was different, although quite a few had blind drives which was fun. At times, especially on the back nine i was reminded of highlands or khun tan. Great value at current prices. I also thought it was a course of two nines, very different back to the front.

Not too bad a drive for me, just 40 minutes from saraphi.

How does it rate compared to the inthanon course? That's the last one for me to get to in our great chiang mai.

I did enjoy it! I thought every hole was different, although quite a few had blind drives which was fun. At times, especially on the back nine i was reminded of highlands or khun tan. Great value at current prices. I also thought it was a course of two nines, very different back to the front.

Not too bad a drive for me, just 40 minutes from saraphi.

How does it rate compared to the inthanon course? That's the last one for me to get to in our great chiang mai.

Not so many trees at Inthanon although I slightly prefer it to Gold Canyon but both very good new courses that will only get better. From Sarpahi to Inthanon it will also take about 45 minutes

I'm planning to come to CM for about week around May 12-18 to catch the festival. I have played Royal CM and Alpine(which was called Lamphun at the time) and really enjoyed them. Played Green Valley and thought it was a bit boring and average. This time, I'd like to also try Mae Jo, Highlands and maybe head over to Saraburi one day.

Any other courses that someone thinks I shouldn't miss? Any expat society events I might join? Have a proper handicap card currently standing at 15.5...

Cheers

I'm planning to come to CM for about week around May 12-18 to catch the festival. I have played Royal CM and Alpine(which was called Lamphun at the time) and really enjoyed them. Played Green Valley and thought it was a bit boring and average. This time, I'd like to also try Mae Jo, Highlands and maybe head over to Saraburi one day.

Any other courses that someone thinks I shouldn't miss? Any expat society events I might join? Have a proper handicap card currently standing at 15.5...

Cheers

Highlands is a must! I'm a member of mae jo, for financial reasons, and it's a very nice course, but they're in the process of changing the greens and so you'll have three or four somewhat faster greens, but it all adds to the fun.

I agree with you on green valley.

The alpine is quite a bit different to what the course used to be like when it was the chiang mai-lamphun course. In my opinion they butchered it, but others prefer it as it is now. It also went heavily 'corporate' in its image and prices and so on.

I would also recommend you think about trying gassan khun tan, which is half way towards lampang. This is almost disneylandesque and a pretty unique course. I think two of the par 5s are over 600 yards!

It's only a personal thing, but i rate our courses up here in this order: highlands, khun tan, royal, mae jo, gold canyon, green valley, alpine, lake city, lanna. Not tried inthanon yet.

If you meant the santiburi in chiang rai, it's a fantastic course, and i've always been welcomed as a single player by the chiang rai golfers.

Happy golfing mate!

Thanks for the tip about Gassan Khuntan...How far is it from CM? I'm not familiar with Gold Canyon, it's the first time I hear of it on this forum. I have read that Inthanon is not in great shape and that the fairways and tee boxes are not that well maintained... I've heard they made the Lamphun course a little easier with larger fairways and cut down some trees. I remember it as a fun course with risk/rewards shot but I heard it's tamer and longer but maybe more boring now?

Sorry yes I meant Santiburi in CR, I've heard it's a must play and I've been wanting to check it out for a long time. I'll stay over one night and fly back to BKK from there...

Santiburi is magnificent!

So is khun tan. It's south of c mai in the superhighway, probably about an hour from c mai town centre, maybe a bit less.

Gold canyon i played only for the first time last weekend, it's about two years old. We played on a sunday and it really wasn't that busy at all. I liked it a lot.

We're getting spoilt for choice these days and that's a great thing. We also get these reasonable prices every year after the high season is over.

The Chiang Mai Golf festival is confirmed although the 800baht + fee makes a few of the courses more expensive than they are now, double in one case.

I have posted the details on my blog but the current "poster" is in Thai, will add the English version when received.

• 1 month later...

The Chiang Mai Golf festival is confirmed although the 800baht + fee makes a few of the courses more expensive than they are now, double in one case.

I have posted the details on my blog but the current "poster" is in Thai, will add the English version when received.

We are going to play Gold Canyon in a few weeks time. My wife confirmed today the following prices...

Promotion up to end of October 2011.

Green Fee/Caddy 600Baht

Green Fee Caddy and Buggy 1000Baht

Accommodation 1500Baht..(5*?) + Breakfast

Has anyone stayed there? Actually we will be staying with friends who live some 60kms away...but maybe nice to stay one night at the course.

We are going to play Gold Canyon in a few weeks time. My wife confirmed today the following prices...

Green Fee/Caddy 600Baht

Has anyone stayed there? Actually we will be staying with friends who live some 60kms away...but maybe nice to stay one night at the course.

They wanted to keep that price quiet during the Golf Festival but already been posted here a couple of times and I mentioned it on my CGC blog.

Only 45 minutes from CM,just drive there and have a couple of extra rounds!Or nearly 4 at Gassan. :)

Edited by Thailand

Green Fee/Caddy 600Baht

They wanted to keep that price quiet during the Golf Festival but already been posted here a couple of times and I mentioned it on my CGC blog.

Only 45 minutes from CM,just drive there and have a couple of extra rounds!Or nearly 4 at Gassan. :)

We looked at the Gassan offers at the Holiday Fare in IMPACT today. Also looked at comments on thaigolfer.com not many good words about those three courses, infact one guy said that he wouldn't even play for free again! What are they like?

Also what is the hotel at Gold Canyon like please?