Basic Asbestos Roof Tiles And Steel

canuckamuck

I am trying to estimate a budget for a house we are building. Right now i am considering the roof. I expect we will be using basic asbestos panels over top of a steel structure (very standard stuff). It is a very simple shape, no dormers. It's about 16 x 16m with a 2.5 meter rise an the ends are sloped in. I am thinking it is about 270 sq meters of roof material but have no idea on steel.

Does anyone here have a way to work it out? and what is the going price on the roof materials and the steel?

You might want to concider asbestos free panels, also for the square panals in your celing. They cut them with angle grinders, sprading that crap all over your place, to sit there to kill you for years to come. When you get someithing fixed and chenged down the track, more of it in your home.

From what I have seen, Thais love it, if they could, they would put it on toast with DDT for breakfast if they could !!!!!! :unsure:

The newest tile out is Tylon & it not only looks great but is very easy to have installed & I think it is a lot cooler than a C-pac oven bake terra cotta or cement tile. We put that roof on our new house & it is great. I think it was somewhere between 56-65 baht a piece for the main panels & the caps ends & other assorted goodies were substantially more as with a C-pac type build. You will be able to save some on metal. We saved 30,000 baht on 176 sq.meters not needing the extra battens to hold the smaller tile. I wouldn't go with the old style as it looks old & the newer design looks new & more in the 2000's rather than the 60's-70's.

The modern construction methods the panels are cut on the ground not up in the roofline.

Our house none of the roof parts were cut in the roof! It is much easier & safer to do anything the workers can on the ground anyway. When it comes to advice from any of the websites I would steer away from advertised products a they tend to be at a premium. The valley trough should be clipped in NOT SCREWED IN or you you will be possibly in for slight dr5ips where the morons punched holes through where the critical area is that handles most of the water exiting.This is what a Tylon roof looks like & I designed only ONE valley trough in the entire plan to keep it to only one chance for water to be a problem. Thais don't particularly like designs with many roof changes leading to leaks everywhere. Keep it simple on the roof plan & you will be much happier down the road. Number one complaint in houses are roof leaks followed by wall cracks.

Good luck...I am sure you will get some technical data on how much from the resident mathematicians on this site. No one is trying to sell you anything on TV

• 2 months later...

What will be the less expensive roof to put on ? need to know price for iron roof about 100 m2

Thanck you..............

Cheapest of cheapest is corrugated zink plated steel . It is really cheap but it gets really hot and rusts . They also are prone for leakage since most of the time they attach them with standard nails and the hole starts to rust out . They can also been found 2nd hand for even being cheap more . Personally i wouldn't want them unless your budged is extremely tight .

Nr 2 is steel sheet aka Colorbond . They have it in various BMT and the thinnest ones are the 2nd cheapest option . This stuff is a lot better then the corrugated zink plated and cannot be compared . It does not rust , and the heat from it , depending on color , is ok to plain good . This may be nr 2 pricewise but IMHO this is the best stuff in Thailand . I try to put an effort to not go for the cheapest one but choose a big bigger BMT ( base metal thickness ) . That way the price goes up to nr 3 but is is so much better .

nr3 asbestos plates . They are not asbestos anymore but for easy understanding i just call it that . Normally it would be fibrecement . It is a very good material but it does not have the thermal properties from the steel sheets ( staying hot long after sun goes down ) .

nr 4 All kinds of roof tiles .

Nr 2/3/4 run a bit through each other pricewise due to a variety of factors . The cheapest of roof tiles are certainly cheaper then very thick steel sheets or high end Colorbond . Nr 1 is way cheaper .

Steel sheet roof , from around 100 to 115 baht per sqm , without screws or steel structure . According to BMT it goes up by around 20 to 30 baht per type per sqm . Standard shops have around 3 different ones .

Hey thanks for the replies, I started this thread in march and then forgot to check back, but the info is well timed.

I googled tylon and couldn't get much coherent info.

Does anyone have any links for tylon?

I don't know about tylon but i know trilon from Mahaphant ! maybe the one ..

The newest tile out is Tylon & it not only looks great but is very easy to have installed & I think it is a lot cooler than a C-pac oven bake terra cotta or cement tile. We put that roof on our new house & it is great. I think it was somewhere between 56-65 baht a piece for the main panels & the caps ends & other assorted goodies were substantially more as with a C-pac type build.

Hi BD. This Tylon looks interesting, is there a website?

Does the finished article look beefy enough to support a 2m2 solar water heater or will I have to design in extra steel to support the tank etc?

What will be the less expensive roof to put on ? need to know price for iron roof about 100 m2

Thanck you..............

Cheapest of cheapest is corrugated zink plated steel . It is really cheap but it gets really hot and rusts . They also are prone for leakage since most of the time they attach them with standard nails and the hole starts to rust out . They can also been found 2nd hand for even being cheap more . Personally i wouldn't want them unless your budged is extremely tight .

Nr 2 is steel sheet aka Colorbond . They have it in various BMT and the thinnest ones are the 2nd cheapest option . This stuff is a lot better then the corrugated zink plated and cannot be compared . It does not rust , and the heat from it , depending on color , is ok to plain good . This may be nr 2 pricewise but IMHO this is the best stuff in Thailand . I try to put an effort to not go for the cheapest one but choose a big bigger BMT ( base metal thickness ) . That way the price goes up to nr 3 but is is so much better .

nr3 asbestos plates . They are not asbestos anymore but for easy understanding i just call it that . Normally it would be fibrecement . It is a very good material but it does not have the thermal properties from the steel sheets ( staying hot long after sun goes down ) .

Nr 2/3/4 run a bit through each other pricewise due to a variety of factors . The cheapest of roof tiles are certainly cheaper then very thick steel sheets or high end Colorbond . Nr 1 is way cheaper .

Steel sheet roof , from around 100 to 115 baht per sqm , without screws or steel structure . According to BMT it goes up by around 20 to 30 baht per type per sqm . Standard shops have around 3 different ones .

Sezze.... Where are you finding the Colorbond and where are you finding contractors that know how to put it in correctly? We're contemplating that for our house as well as we have seen some very nice installations, but can never track down who put them in.

OK it looks like Tylon is a mistake, and the word is 'Trilon', despite the fact that there is a company named Tylon (which is a plastics injection mold company, not a roof supplier).

Still it is hard to get any info on the web. Does anyone know where Trilon is being sold?

Edited by canuckamuck

OK it looks like Tylon is a mistake, and the word is 'Trilon', despite the fact that there is a company named Tylon (which is a plastics injection mold company, not a roof supplier).

Still it is hard to get any info on the web. Does anyone know where Trilon is being sold?

I sent you a pm with the same link to Mahphant. What area are you in. I think our supplier was either Pattaya or Sattahib.If you are in or around this area I can find out where we got

our materials from.

The newest tile out is Tylon & it not only looks great but is very easy to have installed & I think it is a lot cooler than a C-pac oven bake terra cotta or cement tile. We put that roof on our new house & it is great. I think it was somewhere between 56-65 baht a piece for the main panels & the caps ends & other assorted goodies were substantially more as with a C-pac type build.

Does the finished article look beefy enough to support a 2m2 solar water heater or will I have to design in extra steel to support the tank etc?

Hi Crossy

mahphant is the correct link shown on the posts.

The panels are hardier than the old style panels but I think I would put some steel reinforcements just to be safe as the panels all screw down into steel. I am sure the balanced weight wouldn't be any bother to the strength of the panel.

The material is pretty amazing our house has stayed very cool this hot season. That & we built the walls to 3.2 meters & I am sure that is helping a bit as well. Almost a year now & the color hasn't faded at all- Unlike the older panels.

Thanck you..............

Sezze.... Where are you finding the Colorbond and where are you finding contractors that know how to put it in correctly? We're contemplating that for our house as well as we have seen some very nice installations, but can never track down who put them in.

Steel sheets are available in all cities in Thailand . Simply screwing them down does not require a special team , since no special techniques or material are used . Colorbond itself has the screwing technique , just the same , but they also offer a cliplock system which needs a colorbond builder , since they need special tools . The cliplock system is wonderfull and 100% lifetime waterproof , since no holes in the plates are made . The plates are put together and on the steel structure by a clamping system . Somebody i know from another site has this system and he also has very thick colorbond plates making it THE highend system IMHO ( 30 year warranty when 5km from the coast ) . This i copied from a post from him ( i hope he doesn't mind )

- Off White Clean Colorbond 0.50 mm KlipLok 700 BL: 315 Baht for material and 65 Baht for installation per square metre;

- KlipLok connector: 28 Baht per square metre;

- Off White Clean Colorbond 0.50 mm G-457 flashing: 140 Baht for material and 20 Baht for installation per square metre;

I have standard steel sheets at 0.32mm ( BMT 0.23 if i remember correct ) and this came in at 130 baht /m2 ( only the sheets ) . Thinnest are 0.19 BMT at total of 0.23 or 0.25 mm ( i do not remember) . Colorbond , i did visit the local dealer and they started at 140 baht /m2 and this was the 0.19 bmt ( you certainly feel the difference ) .

Now on finding a dealer , contact Bluescope Asia . There is a phonenr there and a email adress . I think all of the Colorbond shops have a team available for placing the stuff .

Edited by sezze

One of the major knocks about metal roof material is the noise during a rainstorm. One way of mitigating that is to spray or paint on a material like car body undercoating. It adds weight but keeps the material from "ringing" .. which is how most of the noise is generated.

It does make more noise then a tiled roof . The best option , and i'm talking the rollsroyce finish again , is spray on insulation . Nearly completely sounddead and insulated all in 1 . Nr 2 , and the most used is just insulation by the PE reflective foil . It does dampen the sound more then you would imagine and due to the thermal properties of the steel sheet roof , it is a very costworthy option .

We had our 'asbestos' roof tiles removed and added a white steel roof about 4 years ago. The roof came with a 1/4" of aluminum foam glued onto the underside. No problems at all with noise......and you can certainly feel the difference in heat levels on a sunny day. Definitely worth the money.

Hi Crossy

mahphant is the correct link shown on the posts.

The panels are hardier than the old style panels but I think I would put some steel reinforcements just to be safe as the panels all screw down into steel. I am sure the balanced weight wouldn't be any bother to the strength of the panel.

The material is pretty amazing our house has stayed very cool this hot season. That & we built the walls to 3.2 meters & I am sure that is helping a bit as well. Almost a year now & the color hasn't faded at all- Unlike the older panels.

Could you please tell me how much iron you use for the roof skeleton ? I would like to put also Trilon and I want to make my budget now for the roof..thanck you

Could you please tell me how much iron you use for the roof skeleton ? I would like to put also Trilon and I want to make my budget now for the roof..thanck you

Hi Mamasun,

I can't tell you the exact amount of steel as it was all included in the contracted house bid- but it used about 70% of the steel a cpac roof needed. The amount needed is only the top middle & bottom of the panels & it didn't require battens every 20-25 cm's so it was considerably cheaper. If I wanted to add more support it would have been another 40,000 baht for steel & labor on a 176 meter house.