Personal Automobile Importation

ThePyawkt

I am an American in the process of moving to Bangkok. My move date is Oct. 21 of this year. My question is: should/can I ship my current car over to Bangkok, or should I sell my current car and buy a new one when I arrive? My car is an '04 Honda Element, similar to a CRV, but much more practical for my lifestyle. I really love my car and hate the thought of parting with it. It is financed, in case that matters.

My reservations are about right hand vs left hand drive (my car has the steering wheel on the left, we drive on the right side of the road). Has anyone from America or else-where, with a left-hand drive, brought their car with them, and if so, what are the fees, restrictions, limitations, laws, etc. Any advice would be very appreciated - Thanks!!

Rob

Sorry this topic has been done to death too many times.

Why don't you do a search ?

The bottom line always reads "don't do it "

sorry... I am relatively new to the forum and was asking for help. I did try to find out on my own and could not - I'm not trying to waste people's time. If someone has the patience to hash through it again, I would much appreciate it.

Hi, and welcome.

Have a look in the car ownership forum, there are a couple of threads on the first page or two.

The bottom line is don't, costs megabucks (duty is 300% of agreed value), LHD car here would be lethal to you and any motorcyclists within range.

Cars here seem expensive, but hold their value well so you can sell later without losing more than you would back home.

Have a look at this thread:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...43677&hl=import

Edited by Crossy