Thai nationalism

fester

Funny that, I noticed major cinemas have removed their English option on the phones. Bearing in mind the amount of tourists (as opposed to Expats) that wish to see movies it seemed a little extreme to me?

What are the numbers involved % wise? Do they even make up 1% of all movie goers here?

:o

๐ ศูนย์ sun 0

๑ หนึ่ง nueng 1

๒ สอง song 2

๓ สาม sam 3

๔ สี่ si 4

๕ ห้า ha 5

๖ หก hok 6

๗ เจ็ด chet 7

๘ แปด paet 8

๙ เก้า kao 9

How many people actually don't know the Thai numerals?

Probably 95 % of farangs living here i would expect.. I know i don't.

Edited by Austhaied

Let us take the argument a bit further - to *really* preserve Thai culture, why not stop wearing Western clothes and go back to sarongs and bare chests for both sexes? After all that is original Thai culture, is it not? Why not stop driving cars, motorcycles, and riding aeroplanes?

I vote for continued use of cars, motorcycles, and airplanes + continued nationalist hot air and frustrating immigration hoops for foreigners (except for the ones perhaps that are directly involved in the companies that provide us with cars, motorcycles, airplanes, etc.... one really shouldn't confuse a Motorola executive with some Joe Schmoe trying to cling to the coat tails of others' successes... not saying this is you meadish). :o

:D

If it seemed like I was tooting my own horn, let me clarify: I hereby declare that I know very little about the inner workings of motorized vehicles... and I am not vain or stupid enough to try to claim these inventions as my own by any stretch of the imagination. :D

My point was, I think nationalism usually feeds on uninformed myths no matter if it rears its head in Thailand, Sweden, the US, Afghanistan or Russia. And good inventions are good inventions, regardless of where in the world they originate.

Surely you have to agree her statement about figures, calculators and Western influences are off the wall?

Funny that, I noticed major cinemas have removed their English option on the phones. Bearing in mind the amount of tourists (as opposed to Expats) that wish to see movies it seemed a little extreme to me?

What are the numbers involved % wise? Do they even make up 1% of all movie goers here?

Maybe even 2% :D

Is the article wrong?

A very good article!

A question for Neeranam: why did it take you 4 years, 2 months and 17 days to post your above reply?

What possessed you to dig up that old topic now?

--------------

Maestro

It is not only English speaking people that use English language and numerals, every nationality uses them if they want to communicate with other nationalities. Sure it is correct to preserve the Thai language and numerals, but do you think the whole world should learn Thai just to communicate with Thais? Perhaps Thai language and numerals should replace English as the international language, anyone for somtam? :o

Edited by Robski

Maybe even 2% :D

Well they had it before. And what percentage of GNP does foreign tourism bring to the country???

You guys probably think you're really clever because you can order som tam thai in a really thumbs up accent. Expecting tourists to understand Thai phone systems is a little far fetched. And bear in mind, they did have it before.

Here's a helpful link http://www.movieseer.com

I don't think that Major Cinepex's changes to their phone system <if any> has a whole lot to do with Nationalism ... nor do I think that most tourists go to movies while here. And remember not all toursits speak Eng :o In fact there just aren't that many screens around the major beach destinations! Even in Phuket you have to go into town to Central Festival to catch a movie. <<This should be changing in August I think .. when the new theaters open at Jung Cetlon>>

"western numbers" are in fact arabic in origin. If The west can adapt and learn from the easy why cannot the east learn from the .. well middle east at least.

Dont want to split hairs but Arabic numerals actually originate in India and were passed onto the Arab and Persian world before being passed on again to the West by Arabs thus getting their name.

Got proof? Happy to read up on it if you can supply the info.

However you help me make my point. Everyone should use 1234567890

...As 'English' numerals are still in wide use in Thailand it seems that the idea didn't catch on.

...and this topic can now be closed and consigned to history.

--------------

Maestro