My First Mac What Core To Buy?

TravelerEastWest

Currently I am using a 3 year old core 2 Acer Desktop AMD 2.01 with 4 GB RAM it is OK but I would prefer a much faster machine - double the speed would be nice.

I am looking at an iMac as they are safer and more beautiful. If easier to use that is a bonus.

I use Photoshop daily as well as Dreamweaver.

Once a week perhaps video for family videos.

I am looking at an iMac with a quad core 5 CPU and 4 GB Ram a 1 TB hard drive 27" screen.

Is this more than I need for my purposes? Or should I get a Core 7 and SSD?

What about Applecare - a good idea?

Also should I buy from iStudio (I am close to Bangkapi or Fortunetown) or Apple direct?

I can't really answer your question about what Mac you should buy as they are all pretty good, fast machines! Get the best you can afford and then buy some extra memory at Fortune Town.

However, I would just keep looking at them for now. According to the 'Macrumors.com buying guide' (google it) the average time between updates is 226 days and the current days since update is 223. In other words they are due for an update soon. IMHO the best time to buy is right after an update. Personally I would probably order online direct from Apple to make sure I got the latest model.

Doesn't matter what processor you get - they'll be plenty fast. Fastest is Core i7 QUAD in case you really do some heavy duty photoshop work. Not all Core i7s are quads.

iMacs are due for an update soon. Another indicator for this is that the current MacBook Pro i7 quad blows away all iMacs in terms of processor speed. A mobile machine shouldn't really be faster than a desktop so they'll update the iMacs soon.

If you want speed, go for these features, in this order (order of importance for system speed):

- SSD - if you can get an SSD for the OS and apps, and a large HD for media and stuff. SSD makes your system fly. This upgrade is going to have the biggest impact for the money.

- RAM - get 8GB if you can. It's used for HD cache memory too so it's never wasted. It just makes your system faster.

- Processor. Core i7 quad is the fastest - but SSD and RAM are more important.

Yep, I'll agree with all the above, get the 2tb hd and the best you can afford.

Again just wait a few months for the new one to come out.

You wont be disappointed with the Mac, you'll never go back.

If you do want to run windows, get parallels and you can run them together should you need.

I have apple icare but never needed it, but you never know.

I also ordered my machine 27"imac from a mac service Centre, they said delivery within 30 days as I configured it the best I could afford.

It arrived in a week.

The ram can be changed anytime so you don't need to buy that all now but if you can all well and good.

jap.gif

I can't really answer your question about what Mac you should buy as they are all pretty good, fast machines! Get the best you can afford and then buy some extra memory at Fortune Town.

However, I would just keep looking at them for now. According to the 'Macrumors.com buying guide' (google it) the average time between updates is 226 days and the current days since update is 223. In other words they are due for an update soon. IMHO the best time to buy is right after an update. Personally I would probably order online direct from Apple to make sure I got the latest model.

Very interesting I will go visit 'Macrumors.com right now.

Thanks everyone for your advice basically I hear buy the best that is in my budget.

I am not sure that a SSD is in my budget just now but I will; probably upgrade again in 2 to 3 years. But then again maybe I can ... I shall see.