If Someone Stole 1Mb From You What Would You Do?

A while ago a Thai man stole 1mb in jewelry from me . I went to the police, but didn't have any evidence. One of the neighbors saw him and told me but this was not good enough for the police. I offered a 100KB reward to the police but they said the goods were long gone as nobody would hold on to them. I see the guy all the time and he looks away from me. My question is what would you do about it if anything?

Edited by parallaxtech

I would secure your jewelery a bit better next time...:whistling:

Did the neighbors actually see the guy with your stuff ?......this should be enough for the police to do something, I was always under the impression in Thailand you are guilty until proven innocent, seems to be the police cant be ar*ed, which seems a bit strange seeing as you are offering a chunk of cash.....Is the person concerned "connected" in anyway or maybe the guy concerned more than 100k to stay away from him...:rolleyes:

Since when has guilt or innocence ever been important to Thailand's finest.?...pretty sure for 100k they could get him put away even if he was innocent...:lol:

I would secure your jewelery a bit better next time...:whistling:

Did the neighbors actually see the guy with your stuff ?......this should be enough for the police to do something, I was always under the impression in Thailand you are guilty until proven innocent, seems to be the police cant be ar*ed, which seems a bit strange seeing as you are offering a chunk of cash.....Is the person concerned "connected" in anyway or maybe the guy concerned more than 100k to stay away from him...:rolleyes:

Since when has guilt or innocence ever been important to Thailand's finest.?...pretty sure for 100k they could get him put away even if he was innocent...:lol:

Hmm.

Now that the police are informed about who did it, it is maybe even easier for the police to racket the other guy for 200k or 300k instead of getting the jewelry back?

And I have to agree - why was it so easy to steal jewelry worth 1m baht from you? I know I would either lock it up in a bank or keep it in a very secure and well hidden safe.

Thanks for the responses. The guy is a mafia type so I feel that any action would be retaliated and I have a wife and house to consider. I don't want to get into the details of how it was stolen, but it could not have been prevented -- it was not a simple case of leaving it in the open. I was living in a rental at the time (no insurance), but now have an insured home.

If I did something physical this might cause me more trouble. It bothers me every day especially when I see this guy. He bragged to several neighbors that he routinely "gets" things from farangs and sells them. The police said they knew about it but couldn't catch him. He now has a nice shop that has been financed by all this theft. I suppose it is just a bitter pill to swallow.

• 2 weeks later...