Cleaning Scratches From My Visor

billd766

Does anyone know where I can buy some polish to remove some minor grit scratches from my visor.

I would rather do that than buy a new visor.

I clean the visor daily with pigeon brand baby wet wipes and polish off with a soft cloth. Thank you son for at least some of your leftovers.

When I was in the RAF we used to use Goddards plastic polish and scratch remover to clean and remove small scratches from aircraft canopies. It was absolutely brilliant for the job but alas that was several decades ago.

Tooth paste :rolleyes:

Sure that toothpaste is not too course?

Personally I'd get a new visor sir. Unless it's a Shoei or something it'll cost about 2 beers. When you use the new visor you'll wonder how you could have been using the old one.

Invest in safety mate.

Tooth paste :rolleyes:

Sure that toothpaste is not too course?

Personally I'd get a new visor sir. Unless it's a Shoei or something it'll cost about 2 beers. When you use the new visor you'll wonder how you could have been using the old one.

Invest in safety mate.

Toothpaste is a very mild abrasive polish and is perfect for very mild scratches.

For the more serious scratches the 2 products that have been used for years for fianl plastic finishing are Brasso and Silvo. Both are for metal polish (Brass and Silver) with the Brasso being used first as it is more abrasive, followed by the Silver polish and then toothpaste (not Gel).

Silver polish (not cleaner) is very mild otherwise it would destroy silver plated items and similarly tooth polish would remove the tooth's enamel leading to lawsuits against the manufacturer.

For a deep scratch you can work the polish into the groove to polish the sides of the valley. Not ideal but a vast improvement in vision compared to an untreated blemish.

The same method also works for glassware including fine crystal. Proven over 20 years whilst producing hand engraved and crafted crystalware including restoration work.

I have used 3M polish for years - don't know if available in LOS. One is a cleaner, one a polish. Different grades of grit.

Good info above re: Brasso and Silvo. Must try it out.

We used Pledge furniture polish on Bell 206 helicopter bubbles - worked well.

The absolute best stuff I have ever used for getting out scratches on plastic is Meguiar's PlastX:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G12310

This stuff is specifically formulated to remove scratches on clear plastic. There is nothing that I have tried that works better than this stuff.

However, I don't know if it is available in Thailand. As such, I would also join the chorus and recommend Brasso. It's not designed for removing scratches off of plastic, but it works VERY EFFECTIVELY at doing so. I used to use Brasso (before I discovered PlastX) to remove scratches on the clear plastic crystals on vintage watches. It works REALLY good too.

Thanks for the info guys.

The scratches are only minor and are in my peripheral vision and a bit distracting.

I live way out in the sticks and I would have to go online to order the visor to be posted to me at 400 baht.

Unfortunately I don't live in BKK or in Chiang Mai where I bought the helmet which is a Real Ozzy and very comfortable.

Eureka thanks for the tip on Silvo polish.

Seedy I have some Pledge so I will try that.

Submaniac I saw that Meguiar's PlastX: when I was chasing Goddard's polish through Google but I suspect that by the time I order it and pay shipping etc it will cost more than a new visor.