Unlocking A Blackberry 8830 World Edition Varizon Smartphone

jaideeguy

Kinda, sorta was my experience. I have the exact same model. It has been almost two years so I forget some of the details. I can dial mobile phones okay but not landlines. I think for landlines I have to put the 66 in place of the zero, but rarely dial landlines anyway. When I respond to a text message it shows I am responding to a 6683 xxx xxxx number instead of a 083 number. Often I have to resend text messages.

When it displays the home number it is the US number, not the Thai Sim card number, which may be a clue as to why I have some of the other problems.

I decided to live with the problems as I didn't expect the phone to last that long. It was already close to three years old, and had been dropped in a hot tub before I arrived here 23 months ago. But it just keeps on going and is still on the original battery, though a charge only lasts less than 24 hours now.

I had it "unlocked" at Kad Suan Kaew, by a kid called Lek in a smallish stand on the main electronics floor, straight across from the escalator system closest to the down ramp motor cycle parking area off Huay Kaew Rd.

he charged 800 Bt where most others wanted up to two thousand, so maybe it was a case of I got what I paid for.

I had the sprint version of the 8830. It comes unlocked already for the GSM part of it. So just put a sim card in and you should be good to go. If the network settings are not set to "Auto", then you may have to manually select the GSM network.

sometimes if the text message is not from the same carrier or whatever reasons, it will come in as +66 123456789 instead of 0123456789. I had no problem using the reply button to send. It does get tricky trying to identify some numbers. So you can update the international prefix and stuff in the call options menu.

If you try the sim card and you cannot get it to work, then maybe it was locked by verizon and you may need to get it unlocked. There's a guy called dr mobile who can do it over the internet remotely. it will require data cable and download of specific software to bridge the phone to the computer and then through a network.

http://www.coolunloc...d_internet.html

He appears to know his stuff very well and is experienced in unlocking phones. 290 to unlock, 390 to unlock and put thai font, 200 for thai font only.

I put thai language font on the phone, and it cost 200 baht. He has instructions to deposit to several banks. email the receipt or tell him the date/time of deposit, then setup an appointment and it takes probably 10 minutes to complete everything on your laptop or internet shop. Other mobile shops in Patong were asking 500 b on up. When I mention that I only pay 200 baht, they give you that surprised look. The same look some tour operators give me when I tell them how much I paid for a specific tour. "Wow :blink: [you're not supposed to get that local price]"

The thai language enables you to read thai text in browser and SMS msg. You cannot write thai, but you can use a translater and copy the thai symbols into a text message. Sometimes, you must take a previous text message and "reply" or "forward"

Edited by 4evermaat