What Citizenship Does My Son Have

Hi,

My wife (Thai) who came to the US on a fiancée visa (we are current with USCIS and have just filed I-751 to remove conditions) and I (US Citizen) have just had a baby!!!! We are living in the US. I am sure that he has US Citizenship but am wondering if he is also considered "Thai" and can he get a Thai passport. I realize that the US doesn't recognize "dual citizenship" but haven't the first clue about Thailand.

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks

There's a thread somewhere here about Thai's not being allowed dual citizenship in theory, however, it seems that the current prime minister has UK citizenship as well as Thai!

As far as the US goes, it may surprise you to discover that it is allowed https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

As far as I'm aware, your son will be able to claim Thai citizenship due to the fact that his mother is a Thai citizen.

Hope this helps,

Biff

www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

$59.95 a download and they have the nerve to use a .org domain!!!

Thanks for your reply Biff... I have found the thread that talked about this and it seems that we'll be able to apply for Thai citizenship for our little boy just as soon as we have his US Birth Certificate in hand.

www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

$59.95 a download and they have the nerve to use a .org domain!!!

Thanks for your reply Biff... I have found the thread that talked about this and it seems that we'll be able to apply for Thai citizenship for our little boy just as soon as we have his US Birth Certificate in hand.

I know, one of those websites that kinda sorta looks like a government one but in fact is a company after your hard earned, still, the information about dual citizenship should be useful.

As with most government interactions, you can do it yourselves, no need to give anyone your $!

Good luck with everything, oh, and congratulations on the birth of your son! :) Looks like he'll have the best of both with those two passports!

Edited by bifftastic

There's a thread somewhere here about Thai's not being allowed dual citizenship in theory, however, it seems that the current prime minister has UK citizenship as well as Thai!

As far as the US goes, it may surprise you to discover that it is allowed https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual-citizenship.html

As far as I'm aware, your son will be able to claim Thai citizenship due to the fact that his mother is a Thai citizen.

Hope this helps,

Biff

In fact, in 'theory' as well as practice, it is fine for a Thai to have more than one nationality. There is no prohibition in Thai law for a child born to a foreign parent to use both their parents nationalities, as well as whatever they may have been born with due to their place of birth.

In your case, the child is a US citizen by virtue of being born on US soil, and a Thai citizen by virtue by being born to a Thai parent. Thai citizenship can be handed down indefinitely, regardless of location of birth, so long as one of the parents is a Thai citizen.

There are certain areas where the law is a bit more grey, but it only relates to those who have naturalised as Thai's, as well as those who acquired Thai citizenship when born in Thailand to foreign parents who have permanent residency in Thailand. Very rare cases indeed.