Making Merit At A Funeral

bhoydy

The usual amount i hear from local people to give as a donation or to make merit at a funeral (or wedding) is 300 baht. If you know the person well do you give more? I'm interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the amount given.

Local customs vary a bit regarding the amount. But what you give is indeed also depenend on how well do you know the person and how much can you afford.

Often it ranges somewhere between 300 and 1,000 that I see most Thai give.

Apologies, I should have added that being an expat has not made any difference - the amount we pay is similar to what the wife would if not married to an expat anyway. And no one has ever queried it in 20 years; had to make this point before the regular groaners weigh in about expats being screwed for money!

Elwood

You give according to how well you knew and how much you respected the deceased and whether you’re a person of good heart or not. Not for reasons of appearances sake.

For example; if it was a close family member or a best friend I may be inclined to pay for the whole funeral.

For a neighbor I hardly knew, an acquaintance or someone who died that wouldn’t cause me to lose any sleep over it, usually about 300 baht.

It`s totally up to the discretion and what’s within the person, there is no set rule.

Is it to make merit for you or the dead person? Does the money go towards the cost of the funeral? Is it the more money made at the funeral and given to the monks benefits the merit of the person that is dead?

What i have seen when the father of my wife died was that money was given to the family to cover the cost of the funeral. Other money was given to the monks by the family. So im not completely sure.

In villages I think everyone has to give like 20-50 baht to cover the costs of the funeral.. The guy collecting those money seems to come around quite often, but anyway...

I have only been to one funeral and cannot remember how much I/we gave but it wasn't more than 100-300 baht I think..

unless you are the trusting kind, make sure the deceased didn't have village death insurance before you agree to pay for the funeral....

there is no clear cut sum, if you pay to much it will be spent on gambling with the travelling cardgame scam gangs?

The "village death insurance" payout varies on the number of recent claims -- but for a typical monthly payment of 20 Bt, it usually results in a payout to the family of the deceased of about 10,000 Bt,

Notification of funeral is sent to your house in a black printed envelope. This envelope is used to return your contribution to the family of the deceased as a cost of funeral offset payment. This involves several days of food & drink. The amounts previously mentioned are typical.

If you attend the actual funeral ceremony it is optional that you contribute money which is given to the attending monks. Any payment received shall be recorded and later publicly announced.

i usually put 500 baht in, last one i went to was a big one and i noticed a lot of people giving donation in airmail envelopes mine was plain white, when i got home asked deceased son why, he smiled and said you can buy 1 air mail envelope but white ones have to buy a pack of 10. most of the wake nights were sponsored buy hotels and thai groups so not sure where money went but funny to think all these very rich Thais who had land all over Samui bother about evevelope cost.

The money given is to sort af share the funeral costs. The hosts and maybe other guests pay the monks.

You give merit to the deceased by coming to the funeral. The more people who show up the more merit.

For example; if it was a close family member or a best friend I may be inclined to pay for the whole funeral.

That is not a good idea, nor is it even possible.

I do not know if you are Buddhist or not, but even if you are you are still a Farang in the eyes of the friends and family of the deceased and such a brash attempt to display wealth - and a total mis-understanding of the whole concept of "making merit" - will offend.

Even a Thai, however Senior, would not be so presumptuous.

A Thai funeral can last one day or any number of days depending on how well liked (or influential) that person was; family members, school Alumni, work colleagues will Sponsor a day at the funeral, from arranging the Monks, food for the Monks and for the attendees etc. etc..

This they do to make Merit.

Do not try to take over the whole event - you will only look a fool.

Patrick