Chicken Question

krey

I know kind of a odd topic title.

Curious in North America when I buy a precooked chicken or just raw chicken and stick it in the fridge it last 3 to 5 days and doesn't smell or anything. In tThailand I buy a premade chicken or raw chicken from Carrefour, Friendship, wherever and within a few hours of being in the fridge it just stinks.. What is the deal with Thailand Chicken, is it not as safe, not as fresh, what is with that terrible smell. I basically have to eat it right away cause saving it for the next day really is not an option. Also is there another place I can get better quality chicken? Suggestions thoughts? I know it is kind of a wierd question but I have always wanted to know.

Probably all the antibiotics and other chemicals they use when raising and slaughtering the chickens basically preserves them forever...sorta like a Big Mac placed on a window-sill will not go bad for months. Here in Thailand, we have fresh chickens that go bad if you don't eat them in a few days.

Personally, I don't have the problems you describe...maybe you need to turn on your fridge :lol: I buy both street and store grilled chickens and often keep them in the fridge (or outside the fridge) without any problems.

Nothing wrong with the chicken here. They are leaner with much less fat compared to coop fed, steroid injected hens that dominate the shelves in N.A. . The pre-cooked chicken in Carefour can sit at room temp for hours so I wait for a freshly cooked one. I store mine in airtight containers in my fridge which has a good seal. Hope this helpsjap.gif

Another thing to consider is the marinate process. They sometimes have a milk-based one, and there are some soy, and some fish sauce cooked ones. I am wondering if some of those smells are unexpected after a day in the fridge. You might not notice them when you bring them home.

• 3 weeks later...

Precooked chicken and raw chicken or grilled are three different products.

Precooked chicken is cooked before it gets to the store. cooked over 72 degrees. when you buy it you, it usually frozen or vac.

Raw chicken is raw. What can make it to smell bad, could be that you take the chicken with your hands that has bacteria.

Grilled chicken you buy at the store that the smell may be, it is not your fried good enough. or it may be old.

Raw chicken, if it takes a long time before you come home from the store can be enough reason to keep it up badly.

or you have something else in the fridge that smells bad,

Thailand is number one in the world when we talk about hygiene in the manufacturing sector,

Precooked chicken is cooked before it gets to the store. cooked over 72 degrees. when you buy it you, it usually frozen or vac.

Raw chicken is raw. What can make it to smell bad, could be that you take the chicken with your hands that has bacteria.

Grilled chicken you buy at the store that the smell may be, it is not your fried good enough. or it may be old.

Raw chicken, if it takes a long time before you come home from the store can be enough reason to keep it up badly.

Thailand is number one in the world when we talk about hygiene in the manufacturing sector,

you gotta a be kidding...thailand # 1 in manufacturing/hygiene.....i suggest you go look at any of their shrimp farms or for that, chicken factories, which are dominated and controlled by 2 companies allover thailand. then i suggest you sit outside the back-door of the big supermarkets for a few days and watch deliveries of food....you will change your mind about any kind of hygiene quickly.

Most raw chicken in supermarkets has been frozen.

Frozen chicken has to be kept at minus 21 degrees celcius to keep the bone marrow from going off.

If chicken has been frozen at anything less than that (recognizable from the brown color of the meat around the thighbone), your chicken will start smelling very quickly.

I've learned this the hard way.

Yermanee

I've had similar experiences with what I thought was raw chicken. I try to use it the same day and it's OK. Sometimes the next day it's OK and sometimes it's not, even if well before the printed expiration date if it was packaged. Two days later, forget it. The explanation that the stuff that is sold as raw was previously frozen makes sense, unfortunately. So I guess that means it's a really bad idea to freeze "raw" chicken again, then?

Edited by Jingthing

I've had similar experiences with what I thought was raw chicken. I try to use it the same day and it's OK. Sometimes the next day it's OK and sometimes it's not, even if well before the printed expiration date if it was packaged. Two days later, forget it. The explanation that the stuff that is sold as raw was previously frozen makes sense, unfortunately. So I guess that means it's a really bad idea to freeze "raw" chicken again, then?

I wouldn't trust any "fresh" meat in supermarkets to be really fresh, reckon most of it has been frozen before. Probably not only once.Touch wood, never really had a problem either and I eat my steaks medium rare or as tartar.

• 1 month later...

you gotta a be kidding...thailand # 1 in manufacturing/hygiene.....i suggest you go look at any of their shrimp farms or for that, chicken factories, which are dominated and controlled by 2 companies allover thailand. then i suggest you sit outside the back-door of the big supermarkets for a few days and watch deliveries of food....you will change your mind about any kind of hygiene quickly.

I understand you were living on the street, yes. We are not talking about the shrimp, we're talking about chicken that is not made ​​on a small farm. I'm talking about the major that deliver to Tesco, KFC, four care. How to shop receives and how they deal with can not deliver operators control but you say it is higher in all others countries. We're talking about chicken that is produced for delivery on export and Thailand. But the time you lived on the street, you probably had a great time on the parasitic Thailand. Most people who complain on Thailand's people who do not have anything else a run time.

used to work in the trade one reason only its not been frozen or chilled correctly before its displayed, or the temp in the storage is not adequate as in all supermarkets here its exposed in ice not in temperature controlled coolers. that meat left out in supermarket is nowhere near the correct temperature. bacteria working hard on it before it gets to you. still as long as its cooked ok should be ok.

I'd recommend that you run cold water over your raw chicken parts as soon as you get home from the market, and then repackage the raw chicken in fresh plastic wrap or air-tight containers. Do not re-use the packaging from the market. This should help to do away with a good deal of the bacteria that's already hard at work on that chicken.

Then, as you prepare the meat for cooking, wash it again to lessen the danger of bacteria. Always cook meats well, and consume the cooked product while it is still hot. Refrigerate any leftovers in airtight containers or plastic wrap as soon as possible.

I'd recommend that you run cold water over your raw chicken parts as soon as you get home from the market, and then repackage the raw chicken in fresh plastic wrap or air-tight containers. Do not re-use the packaging from the market. This should help to do away with a good deal of the bacteria that's already hard at work on that chicken.

Then, as you prepare the meat for cooking, wash it again to lessen the danger of bacteria. Always cook meats well, and consume the cooked product while it is still hot. Refrigerate any leftovers in airtight containers or plastic wrap as soon as possible.

http://youtu.be/_aIhh9nFYv4