Walking The Dog

bangkokrick

Hi All,

Does anyone have any tips on areas that I can safely walk my dog. Where ever we go my dog is surrounded and attacked, by either soi,beach or any other pack that is around at the time. I think that many of you dog owners must have the same problem. Maybe I am clutching at straws here, but I had to ask the question.

I live in the Jomtien area.

Cheers, Rick

Yes I have to admit ...dog walking can be problematic no matter where you go ......I ended up buying a pump action water gun ( Songkrang is just round the corner so there's plenty around ) I then boiled lots of chopped chili peppers and dried chili powder and simmered it for about one hour ...then let it cool and filter through some kitchen roll too remove any debris ....and then put it into the water pistol and aim for the dogs eyes and nose and watch them run ...a good water pistol has a range of about 10 to 15 metres so you can get/hit then before they even get near to you or your dog ....do this every day on your chosen dog walk route ...and after 2 to 3 days the local dogs soon get to know what's going to happen and leave you alone. .......

If you don't have a vehicle to get out of town then you're hooped, these scabby soi dogs are everywhere!!! If people continue to feed them ( which is stupid ) the problem will continue to get worse..

In Labuan, Malaysia they round up all the strays once a year that and kill them to keep the problem under control, they need some sort of radical program like that here!

JH

ps. i'm a dog lover!!!!!

Yes I have to admit ...dog walking can be problematic no matter where you go ......I ended up buying a pump action water gun ( Songkrang is just round the corner so there's plenty around ) I then boiled lots of chopped chili peppers and dried chili powder and simmered it for about one hour ...then let it cool and filter through some kitchen roll too remove any debris ....and then put it into the water pistol and aim for the dogs eyes and nose and watch them run ...a good water pistol has a range of about 10 to 15 metres so you can get/hit then before they even get near to you or your dog ....do this every day on your chosen dog walk route ...and after 2 to 3 days the local dogs soon get to know what's going to happen and leave you alone. .......

good idea. did this actually work for you? was your aim good enough to hit them before they got to your dogs?

We need a dog park in Pattaya, something gated .. large area .. with water. I'd spend 100 Baht for access, to have some decent stray dog free large area where I could throw a ball and have fun with my fido's. When I feel bad for my dogs, I take them for a car ride out to the winery place out on Sukhumvit, Silverlake. It's about 40baht or something, too bad its way out there and no gates. Also my dog loves to chase the horses that go by, so I'm not at total ease there.

Even easier would be load the water gun with vinegar. No boiling, no filtering. And vinegar in the eyes of a dog has about the same effect (don't believe me, try it on yourself!) Only problem is that most of those water guns do leak a bit, and one ends up smelling like fish 'n' chips laugh.gif

good idea. did this actually work for you? was your aim good enough to hit them before they got to your dogs?

Yes it works, but you have to persist and use the same walk daily so all the local dogs get to know the taste/ sting of the chili ..dogs are not stupid and learn quickly ...I suggest you have some target practice (with tap water) and let your dog see you using it so he/she is OK with it before you hit the means streets of Jomtiem.

Thanks for the replies guys, there are some good ideas in there. I will try the water gun in the hope that they get the message and i am in total agreement with the 'dog park' idea. I would certainly pay the 100 Baht for a bit of peace.

Keep em coming.

Cheers, Rick

We need a dog park in Pattaya, something gated .. large area .. with water. I'd spend 100 Baht for access, to have some decent stray dog free large area where I could throw a ball and have fun with my fido's. When I feel bad for my dogs, I take them for a car ride out to the winery place out on Sukhumvit, Silverlake. It's about 40baht or something, too bad its way out there and no gates. Also my dog loves to chase the horses that go by, so I'm not at total ease there.

Silver lake did not cross my mind, so thanks for that. I have transport and I am not too far away, so will give it a try.

Cheers, Rick

Land is expensive but there are plenty of places and it's a good interim business until they sell the land. I see huge lots sitting there for years and no one doing anything but hoping someone will buy it. Seems to me someone could approach the owner with a plan. Only thing that would be needed is - fences, tables, some water, and a vendor to sell some drinks. Dog Park Pattaya!

Actually I thought I saw an huge advert for one outside Foodland the other day, I was thrilled and called the number on the ad. Then the guy said he just trains dogs.

Maybe Tony's gym could pull it off for us.

Land is expensive but there are plenty of places and it's a good interim business until they sell the land. I see huge lots sitting there for years and no one doing anything but hoping someone will buy it. Seems to me someone could approach the owner with a plan. Only thing that would be needed is - fences, tables, some water, and a vendor to sell some drinks. Dog Park Pattaya!

Actually I thought I saw an huge advert for one outside Foodland the other day, I was thrilled and called the number on the ad. Then the guy said he just trains dogs.

Maybe Tony's gym could pull it off for us.

[/quote

Very positive post and could be doable for someone with the right piece of land. I suppose at the end of the day it all boils down to demand, but there would not be such a big outlay for the proprietor.

Cheers, Rick

i use the Mabrachan area, but maybe to far from Jontiem, i never had thisproblem but i would have thought a stick waved at them or a gesture to pick up a stone as they all know what that means would put them off. some very disturbed people out there building recipies to try and blind dogs. many of the so called street dogs do have owners, not responsible, but belong to somebody, be prepared if you blast these recipies into their dogs eyes you may well be on the end of some rough justice, and yes i have known it happen. how would you people feel if somebody did that to your dog

jebhead if you are a dog lover god help dogs. what they need is a neutering programme, Buddist religion does not permit the killing as you suggest.

i use the Mabrachan area, but maybe to far from Jontiem, i never had thisproblem but i would have thought a stick waved at them or a gesture to pick up a stone as they all know what that means would put them off. some very disturbed people out there building recipies to try and blind dogs. many of the so called street dogs do have owners, not responsible, but belong to somebody, be prepared if you blast these recipies into their dogs eyes you may well be on the end of some rough justice, and yes i have known it happen. how would you people feel if somebody did that to your dog

jebhead if you are a dog lover god help dogs. what they need is a neutering programme, Buddist religion does not permit the killing as you suggest.

Nalak ...I was in no way saying or condoning the blinding of dogs....Pepper sprays are internationally accepted by law enforcement agencies around the world it helps to control violence and aggression..it does not blind it only incapacitate for a short while ....it's alot better than waving a stick or actually beating a dog that gets to close to you ...the dog just associates people with aggression.... Pepper water in the face from 10 to 15 metres away ...the dog is FAR less likely to associate people with aggression..it just thinks what the hell has just happened to me and blames the environment not the person ....Dogs that associate people with agression are far more likely to attack a person when there territory and space comes under threat.. .....Dogs live in the moment not the passed or the future that is the realm of the human being.

Dogs just need to the trained by competent owner and not let to run in packs......Dogs are not to blame people and circumstances are .

NALAK,

My dog gets walked twice a day for an hour each time, to get the required exercise and also to take care of business. I agree that spraying them with powdered chilly / vinegar is a bit radical but bare in mind the costs that are involved if one of these strays bites a responsible dog owners pet or even the owner - i guarantee you that they have not had their vaccinations and could lead to large medical / vet bills.

neutering program will not happen - costs money.

"Buddist religion does not permit the killing as you suggest" - this made me laugh..... does Buddist religion permit Thai men sitting at home drinking Sangsom who send the wife out to work and then slapping them about when they come home? does it permit bus drivers or truck drivers to run from accidents when they have seriously hurt people coz they are on drugs? Could you pls send me a detailed list of exactly what Buddism does permit, you obviously know so much about it...

JH

NALAK,

My dog gets walked twice a day for an hour each time, to get the required exercise and also to take care of business. I agree that spraying them with powdered chilly / vinegar is a bit radical but bare in mind the costs that are involved if one of these strays bites a responsible dog owners pet or even the owner - i guarantee you that they have not had their vaccinations and could lead to large medical / vet bills.

neutering program will not happen - costs money.

"Buddist religion does not permit the killing as you suggest" - this made me laugh..... does Buddist religion permit Thai men sitting at home drinking Sangsom who send the wife out to work and then slapping them about when they come home? does it permit bus drivers or truck drivers to run from accidents when they have seriously hurt people coz they are on drugs? Could you pls send me a detailed list of exactly what Buddism does permit, you obviously know so much about it...

JH

Agree with the bold above.

Many of these dogs have miserable lives, scratching themselves continuously, carrying open sores and very often damaged limbs. maybe sometimes it is better to be cruel than to be kind.

At the end of the day I just want to walk my dog, like many others it seems, without fear of being attacked by packs of strays.

Thanks for the input guys.

Rick

One extra idea for a special doggy day out in Nong Nooch - they welcome dogs in to the gardens (not the shows tho). Admission B100 with your Thai driving licence.... be careful when walking your pooch near the tigers tho .... you could see the tiger thinking 'lunch' when he spotted my spaniel .... ;-)