Laos Visa Run: Tourist Visa Still Free Or What'S New Price?

Just checking since I just recommended a friend to it, -then remembered, -it was supposed to be free till February 2011.

Also, he wants to go same day, I told him there were "agents" nearby, but probably better to do all himself unless he has a lot of stamps.

I warned him off using the "one-day visa run" guys on the road to Freedom Bridge, as they charge a lot of $ and might even rip off or attempt to copy whatever documents inside the passport they can find.

So if someone wants get get a double-entry tourist visa, what's the cost as of March 2011?

-saanya

He asked if the border is open on Sundays, my initial reply is No, and also, "join thaivisa and ask".

But it's a good question. I guess the intent is to get Laos visa, hang in VT, wake up Monday AM close to Thai Embassy.

Boarder crossing is open on Saturday and Sunday.

So actually he can go in Sunday and get a Laos visa?

Understandably he can't go to the Thai embassy until they open Monday. But this is actually pretty handy. Saves a night of hotel costs in Udon or NK.

Unless a holiday crossing is open 7 days a week. Closes at 10 PM. You buy Lao visa at their immigration check point on the north side of bridge.

haha, my Thai wife swore up and down it would be closed on the weekend. But then she's only been across to the duty free shop and was so scared to leave home she came right back without even going to Vientiane.

I mentioned us going too for fun, but that provoked some minor whining. -she swears she needs to get a pass first from the local Thai administrative office, then go to the bridge, otherwise she can't go in to Laos. And also swears she can't get a pass in advance, only on the day she wants to go. Has to stand in line, etc. and wait, and not sure when they'll actually issue her the pass.

But maybe she's right, -she also seems afraid of Laos in general, and leaving Thailand even more so. I might go with my friend just to check it out, heck we live right here in Nong Khai. Not much else to do except drink coffee at the cafe anyhow.

Oh but the re-entry fee (on my own existing Thai extension) is costly (1900THB). Time to rent a jet-ski and some camo.:lol:

By the way,-he seems to have a bit of extra cash, and is bent on getting back to Thailand in the same day.

So someone else mentioned in a previous Laos Visa Run post that there are "agents a few doors down who can get you the visa same day".

Is there any truth to this? For my money, I'd rather stay overnight, it's just not that long. But a phone number or location of one might help.

Edited by saanya

Unless a holiday crossing is open 7 days a week. Closes at 10 PM. You buy Lao visa at their immigration check point on the north side of bridge.

haha, my Thai wife swore up and down it would be closed on the weekend. But then she's only been across to the duty free shop and was so scared to leave home she came right back without even going to Vientiane.

I mentioned us going too for fun, but that provoked some minor whining. -she swears she needs to get a pass first from the local Thai administrative office, then go to the bridge, otherwise she can't go in to Laos. And also swears she can't get a pass in advance, only on the day she wants to go. Has to stand in line, etc. and wait, and not sure when they'll actually issue her the pass.

But maybe she's right, -she also seems afraid of Laos in general, and leaving Thailand even more so. I might go with my friend just to check it out, heck we live right here in Nong Khai. Not much else to do except drink coffee at the cafe anyhow.

Oh but the re-entry fee (on my own existing Thai extension) is costly (1900THB). Time to rent a jet-ski and some camo.:lol:

By the way,-he seems to have a bit of extra cash, and is bent on getting back to Thailand in the same day.

So someone else mentioned in a previous Laos Visa Run post that there are "agents a few doors down who can get you the visa same day".

Is there any truth to this? For my money, I'd rather stay overnight, it's just not that long. But a phone number or location of one might help.

Please refer to http://www.thaivisa.com/ web page for all visa information including consulates , types of visas , requirements and an extensive lists of helpful information as required.

Also , google.com can provide further information if needed.

I would not recommend using a freelance agent to obtain a visa.

Tourist Visas are free until March 31.

There was a notice posted on the embassy wall early this week and I believe the cost mentioned was ( 1000 baht ) for a single entry & ( 2000 baht ) for a double entry .. this may need confirmation.

Edited by steven100

Please refer to http://www.thaivisa.com/ web page for all visa information including consulates , types of visas , requirements and an extensive lists of helpful information as required.

Also , google.com can provide further information if needed.

I would not recommend using a freelance agent to obtain a visa.

Tourist Visas are free until March 31.

There was a notice posted on the embassy wall early this week and I believe the cost mentioned was ( 1000 baht ) for a single entry & ( 2000 baht ) for a double entry .. this may need confirmation.

So OK, that's 2 bits of info, -so if one goes this week, -is the cost for the visa and the cost for entry different, -or was the note you saw posted on the embassy wall in reference to "after March 31?".

Either way, thanks for the info... Very useful.

My guess is if anyone trusts a freelance agent, they may very well end up with a fake stamp or much much worse. Not worth it at all.

It's suggested that perhaps the *only* person ever handling your passport beside yourself is the Immigration Officer at the desk in front of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied for a double entry in KL, Vientiane and Saigon last 5 months and they asked for a ticket for the second trip -to- Thailand. Bus- or planeticket. Is this still the case?

Am going next week to VT (befooore 31nd of March ;-)

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I cant believe someone would ask if the border is open at weekends.:lol: And you cannot get a visa in one/same day with agent at vientianne,

KKK,

My Tai wife grew up in Nong Khai and was relaying her own experiences. Thais have to get a same-day pass, and to get the pass you have to go to the local municipality office, which is of course closed on weekends. They don't allow next-day or weekend passes.

Thus, Thais cannot easily cross like we can. Odd eh?

So while it might be hard to think someone would ask a question like that, I did it more to refute my Thai wife's superstitions with regard to me being able to cross.

Sometimes locals here have such a different experience of things, they even have to go through separate lines, etc. So unless they have Thai passports, it's very different, and hard to fathom the rights and habits us farangs have or don't have.

The question originated because I wanted to bring her with.

A few years ago on the way to the border the girlfriend was chatting to the tut-tut driver all of a sudden we did a U-turn. I ask her whats up she says need pass to stay over night (she had passport) we went to some office a few baht later on our way back to border. Maybe we got scammed but she seemed ok about it.