Cr For Songran

jackdawson

i have heard good things about CR

i was thinking about escaping BKK for the north for songran

do they go really crazy w/ the water in CR ? can i escape / avoid it ?

also if someone could recommend a good , centrally located , down market hotel in CR (less than 1,000 ; 800 would be even better) I'd appreciate it.

also , how long is the bus ride from BKK? and how much ?

thx

jack

Edited by jackdawson

The water starts to get thrown about 5 days before the actual start of Songkran and its basically everywhere here as it is all over Thailand.

Cheap hotels in central Chiang Rai city are many , try the Tourist Inn in Jetyod Road.

Bus fares from BKK are about 600 bht each way if I remember correctly , but Im sure someone will have done the trip recently , my last trip by bus was 5 months ago.

If you want to avoid Songkran , best to stay where you are and watch TV and dont go out. :D

Chiang Rai's Songkhran is rather subdued compared to the chaos in Chiang Mai. This is a crazy accident prone period as well. Sure you would rather fly?

It is a lot of fun except for the ICE WATER. Next time a rain coat for me.B) I stay in when the drunks are out.:o

Edited by scorpio1945

Chiang Rai's Songkhran is rather subdued compared to the chaos in Chiang Mai. This is a crazy accident prone period as well. Sure you would rather fly?

It is a lot of except for the ICE WATER. Next time a rain coat for me.B) I stay in when the drunks are out.:o

This was actually one of the reasons why we left Chiang Rai. I could not tolerate Songkran anymore. All the drunken / drugged up morons, farangs and Thais alike. Last year, I had to take a friend down for the festival, much as I didn't want to, but no real choice. Had some a'hole on a bike thought he could get through a 12" gap between my car and another on his 2.5' wide POS scooter. His foot peg caught my left running board and he he came to a grinding halt with his girl on the back. Then he gives me the <deleted> look. If my wife hadn't restrained me I would have been in the lockup that night for sure. By the time I got out of the car, he had done a runner with his girl on the bike. I knew he had damaged the car when he ran off. Never again.

Apologies 'jackdawson' I digress, but the roads are pretty unsafe that time of year. If you can afford it, then fly for peace of mind.

The main area in town are the roads running through Sankong to Den Ha when most of the water fights happen but it is sporadic everywhere else including Jetyod and the main shopping street.

Agreed , the Thai's drink all day every day over that period , its very dangerous on the roads and I would recommend keeping away from the bars, all of them . I prefer to stay home and avoid it all , past experiences have warned me already .

It is a lot of except for the ICE WATER. Next time a rain coat for me.B) I stay in when the drunks are out.:o

This was actually one of the reasons why we left Chiang Rai. I could not tolerate Songkran anymore. All the drunken / drugged up morons, farangs and Thais alike. Last year, I had to take a friend down for the festival, much as I didn't want to, but no real choice. Had some a'hole on a bike thought he could get through a 12" gap between my car and another on his 2.5' wide POS scooter. His foot peg caught my left running board and he he came to a grinding halt with his girl on the back. Then he gives me the <deleted> look. If my wife hadn't restrained me I would have been in the lockup that night for sure. By the time I got out of the car, he had done a runner with his girl on the bike. I knew he had damaged the car when he ran off. Never again.

Apologies 'jackdawson' I digress, but the roads are pretty unsafe that time of year. If you can afford it, then fly for peace of mind.

Did you leave CR already Garry !? :unsure:

This was actually one of the reasons why we left Chiang MAI, I could not tolerate Songkran anymore. All the drunken / drugged up morons, farangs and Thais alike. Last year, I had to take a friend down for the festival, much as I didn't want to, but no real choice. Had some a'hole on a bike thought he could get through a 12" gap between my car and another on his 2.5' wide POS scooter. His foot peg caught my left running board and he he came to a grinding halt with his girl on the back. Then he gives me the <deleted> look. If my wife hadn't restrained me I would have been in the lockup that night for sure. By the time I got out of the car, he had done a runner with his girl on the bike. I knew he had damaged the car when he ran off. Never again.

Did you leave CR already Garry !? :unsure:

Oops, thanks jubby, that was meant to read Chiang Mai all, not Chaing Rai. I can't fault the Rai for my peace & quiet.

Not easy to avoid Song Kron even in Chiang Rai unless you are out of the city.

I personally try to spend Song Kron in a swimming pool.

A few hotels and guest houses around Chiang Rai will fit that bill.

Lek Guest House is about the most econimical and is nice for about 500-600

http://www.lekguesth....com/index.html

Lek Guest House & Restaurant

Banpraprakarn Rd,

Post Box 262 ,

Muang Chiang Rai Chiang Rai 57000 Thailand

Telephone: 0862 831866 or direct 053 711 550

Pimanninn Inn nice, newer hotel and has swimming Pool and fitness from about 500-1,000 per night.

Is about a kilometer and a half from mid town, near the old airport. Lots of activites and fitness also in that area.

Pimann Inn Hotel Map of Pimanninn Hotel (click for maximize)

con_address.png 652/1 moo 24 T.Robwiang

A.Muang

Chiangrai

Thailand

con_tel.png 053-756733 , 053-756972-3

con_fax.png 053-756753

con_info.png 086-9161133

piamnninn_map_thumb.jpg

Buses to and from BKK to Chiang Rai are anywhere from 600-1,000 baht for VIP.

Better to fly due to Song Kron Traffic, but also book early hotels and transportation.

Just a couple suggested places if you decide to come to Chiang Rai.

Edited by TacoBoy

Not easy to avoid Song Kron even in Chiang Rai unless you are out of the city.

I personally try to spend Song Kron in a swimming pool.

A few hotels and guest houses around Chiang Rai will fit that bill.

Lek Guest House is about the most econimical and is nice for about 500-600

http://www.lekguesth....com/index.html

Lek Guest House & Restaurant

Banpraprakarn Rd,

Post Box 262 ,

Muang Chiang Rai Chiang Rai 57000 Thailand

Telephone: 0862 831866 or direct 053 711 550

Pimanninn Inn nice, newer hotel and has swimming Pool and fitness from about 500-1,000 per night.

Is about a kilometer and a half from mid town, near the old airport. Lots of activites and fitness also in that area.

Pimann Inn Hotel • Map of Pimanninn Hotel (click for maximize)

con_address.png 652/1 moo 24 T.Robwiang

A.Muang

Chiangrai

Thailand

con_tel.png 053-756733 , 053-756972-3

con_fax.png 053-756753

con_info.png 086-9161133

piamnninn_map_thumb.jpg

Buses to and from BKK to Chiang Rai are anywhere from 600-1,000 baht for VIP.

Better to fly due to Song Kron Traffic, but also book early hotels and transportation.

Just a couple suggested places if you decide to come to Chiang Rai.

becareful you don't get Hypertheria Tacoboy. your body temperature only needs to drop a few degrees, a week in a pool may just do it.

I tend to stay home, just venture out for the Funerals :(

The Traffic is not so congested after you get out of Bangkok. The VIP Bus companies pretty much know how to manage their trips during Song Kron.

Be sure to book and buy your tickets for Bus, Air or Train early and make reservations for a hotel or guest house if you plan to travel any time around Song Kron.

Another option is to take the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then the Green Bus company from chiang Mai to chiang Rai. A longer trip, but also an enjoyable journey. Especially safer since the highways will have more traffic than normal and of course the normal holiday road problems and crazy drivers.

I will be enjoying my time near the pool with one of those cocktails with an umbrella in it. That should help ward off the hypothermia :drunk:

• 5 weeks later...