Good Place For A Daily Run/Walk

machans88

I'm still looking to move my wife and myself to chiang mai,i really like the area and my wife does too,i mentioned chiang rai,but chiang mai is as far north as she wants to go(her family is from the south surat thani).My only thing stopping me(we live in jomtien) is my daily walks/jogs along the beach.I used to take these for granted,but i spend an hour and a half, twice a day doing this activity,so its a big part of my day and i will definitely miss this if i move north.SO are there any great places close to town 5 or 10min drive for walking,nice country side maybe,what about botanical gardens?? not really sure what i'm after,any advice is appreciated.

Huay Tung Tao, would fit your needs perfectly. It is located near the 700 year stadium.

http://www.chiangmaichimes.com/sightseeing-chiang-mai/huay-tung-tao.html

Taweechol botanic garden is set in some 100+ acres and has a small zoo, lake with pedalos. you can rent bicycles or take a golf buggy. You could easily spend a couple of hours there. There are many link available on the web.

Edited by merlin2002

Huay Tung Tao, would fit your needs perfectly. It is located near the 700 year stadium.

http://www.chiangmai...y-tung-tao.html

Taweechol botanic garden is set in some 100+ acres and has a small zoo, lake with pedalos. you can rent bicycles or take a golf buggy. You could easily spend a couple of hours there. There are many link available on the web.

And there's the Rama 9 park off the Mae Rim road.

Or if South of town then look at the Royal Flora and Night Safari area. Also the road that goes from the Night Safari to the Samoeng road, that's quiet and shady.

And all the way up Doi Suthep, past the temple and the hill village. That's cool, shady and hilly, which makes for a nice change to running on the flat.

http://www.chiangmai...y-tung-tao.html

Both of these places are fine to visit now and then but both would take up to 20 minutes by motorbike to get there. Too much hassle ; especially as the OP might want to run twice a day. I suggest the University grounds.

Acres of pleasant greenery,easy on the eye and just up the road. Don't please run round the moat ,breathing in all that polution.

And you are supposed to pay at Tweechol Gardens.

Just remembered another accessible country walk up to Wat Fai Hin. From the end of Suthep Road,turn right before the ascent into the Royal Project and follow the road round for about 1.5kms. past the back entrance to the zoo up to the start of the Palad Nature Trail. A good half hour"s steady climb and a really charming Wat to explore at the finish. Belongs to CMU. And if you felt really enthusiastic you could carry on all the way up Doi Suthep

Edited by Asmerom

Thanks for the posts,that lake area looks great and a 20bht fee is not going to hurt,seems i have no reasons to stay down this way.

Houses and living costs are cheaper,plenty of good schools and golf courses,the only down size seems to be the air quality for a few months of the year.

Actually Suan Taweechol is now 80 Baht entrance fee and going there for a walk twice a day would take way too much traveling time. Like another poster said, the walk up past Doi Suthep, past the Phuping Palace and to the Hmong village is a great scenic walk and a heck of a work out! I did it twice in October when a friend was visiting. Rama 9 park off the Mae Rim Road as mentioned is another good one.

Actually Suan Taweechol is now 80 Baht entrance fee and going there for a walk twice a day would take way too much traveling time. Like another poster said, the walk up past Doi Suthep, past the Phuping Palace and to the Hmong village is a great scenic walk and a heck of a work out! I did it twice in October when a friend was visiting. Rama 9 park off the Mae Rim Road as mentioned is another good one.

Do you mean walking from the base of the hill where the zoo is up to the doi suthep temple??how long does it take,it seems a long way up the mountain

I suppose it depends on the ops priorites but if he lived out of town in the Doi Saket area, he would have the choice of Taweechol, Mae Kuang Dam, up the 300 steps at wat Doi Saket a walk round the temple grounds and then up to the Hindu shrines at the top of the hill and down, Huay Hong Khrai is 10km up the road and though nothing spectacular is good for a long walk.

Hiking with the Chiang Mai hiking group once a week is another option

http://cmhike.com/

there is a park area at the round about on the second ring road on the superhighway road heading towards lamphun/lampang across from the Urbana Chiang Mai mooban. a 500 metre walking track with many tress and a lake. there are also some exercise equipment, badminton and sepak takraw play area. I do not know what the park is called though but its great for early morning or evening jogging/walking. :thumbsup:

edit: its called 700 year Chiang mai memorial park/ Sompotch Chiang Mai 700 Pi park.

18°45'13.81"N

99° 1'58.18"E

Edited by tigerbeer

Do you mean walking from the base of the hill where the zoo is up to the doi suthep temple??how long does it take,it seems a long way up the mountain

No sorry I meant starting the hike from Doi Suthep. We parked at the temple and started the hike from there. It was lightly raining and cool and misty both times and really a pleasurable hike with outstanding scenery. I think it took about 90 minutes to get to the Hmong village. We took a songtaew from the Hmong village to Phuping Palace on the way back.

Edited by elektrified

Both of these places are fine to visit now and then but both would take up to 20 minutes by motorbike to get there. Too much hassle ; especially as the OP might want to run twice a day. I suggest the University grounds.

Acres of pleasant greenery,easy on the eye and just up the road. Don't please run round the moat ,breathing in all that polution.

It's nice wandering around the University grounds, not very far and certainly easy on the eye wink.gif

I know a couple of guys who pride themselves on walking around the moat every day to keep fit. I wonder if the trade off between inhaling all that gunk, breaking an ankle or getting mowed down crossing is worth it.