Thailand, Japan On Different Plates

webfact

Thailand, Japan on different plates

By The Nation

30150781-01.jpg

Two experts yesterday came out to assure Thais that the recent massive earthquake in Japan would not affect faults in Thailand.

"I am confident that the quake in Japan is unlikely to have any impact here," Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency director Anond Snidvongs said.

Wiriya Mongkhonweeraphan, the former director of the National Disaster Warning Centre, also echoed the same opinion. He explained that Thailand and Japan were on the different plates.

Anond also pointed out that Thailand's faults were small and would be able to generate a quake of no more than five on Richter magnitude scale.

"No matter what the extent of the magnitude, the key point is the response plan. It's necessary to educate people in risky areas," he said. He added that an efficient emergency-response plan would minimise adverse impacts from any quake.

Wiriya said locals in Mae Hong Son, where a fault exists, should for example learn to observe any change in their local environment.

"They must see if the hot mud there is getting hotter. If yes, more measures must be laid down for emergency response," he said.

Meanwhile, a survey by Suan Dusit Poll showed 52.83 per cent of Thais became more interested in information on disasters after seeing the big quake and tsunami hit Japan.

Nearly half of Thai population has seen the recent earthquake in Japan as a grave disaster with huge casualties and massive damages, according to the survey.

The survey also found 34.78 per cent of respondents listing tsunamis as the most frightening disaster. About 33.19 per cent of respondents now called for the installation of modern and efficient early-warning system in risky areas.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-14

"Nearly half of Thai population has seen the recent earthquake in Japan as a grave disaster with huge casualties and massive damages, according to the survey."

Magnificent powers of observation :lol:

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency just the title is funny! Thai's in space..... yeah

:cheesy: time to change undies. That was so funny I lost my coffee.

What does Thailand's Space Technology Development Agency do? Study rising balloons until out of sight???

Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency just the title is funny! Thai's in space..... yeah

:cheesy: time to change undies. That was so funny I lost my coffee.

What does Thailand's Space Technology Development Agency do? Study rising balloons until out of sight???

It is what they want to put up or control in their communications satellites. Such as ShinSat but not exclusively. Thailand has access to objects in space, and proposed project space available for future satellite deployments.

Edited by animatic

Youngmac, you and animatic joined in the same week nearly 5 years ago. Animatic has posted over 10,000 times, you twice. Are you one of those people who has what is sometimes described as "a life". If true, what is you secret?

No offence to you animatic, as I'm on TV way too much [being a person who is without a "life", so far anyway.

A fault under Thailand? Where is Mae Hong Son. I need to retire elsewhere.